PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Difference Makers: Paterno and Coach K

Just got finished watching my TiVo recording of the Paterno/Krzyzewski session and found it very worthwhile. Joe was in good form although I’m sure ESPN’s editing helped a bit too. I’d encourage anyone who has missed it to try to catch it on ESPNU - it’s being replayed a couple of time this weekend.

It was good to see Brian Allen representing PSU Hoops, even though they didn’t actually identify him as a former PSU player. For those who didn’t watch the session, Brian wound up accidentally being a straight man to Krzyzewski when Coach K said to him “We won a lot even though we didn’t recruit you” which got one of the biggest laughs of the afternoon.

http://twitter.com/GoPSUJeff/statuses/86600905717321728

If you missed "Difference Makers," it re-airs tonight at 4 am on ESPN2 and Sunday at 1 pm on ESPNU

The 4AM re-air obviously already passed. I missed the first 10 minutes and the Q&A that was supposed to air on ESPNU following the ESPN main segment. Wonder if they will re-air that as well.

The Player Q&A was split between the main hour show and the 2nd half hour show. I’m not sure it originally was supposed to be like that.

[quote=“noobd, post:2, topic:2535”]http://twitter.com/GoPSUJeff/statuses/86600905717321728

The 4AM re-air obviously already passed. I missed the first 10 minutes and the Q&A that was supposed to air on ESPNU following the ESPN main segment. Wonder if they will re-air that as well.[/quote]

They do because the re-airs are 90 minutes.

Cool, thanks.

I have always struggled to like coach K(and I readily admit my Duke jealousy in basketball is about the sum of it), but this wasn’t a home-home scheduling. He came to state college to sit down and talk because I think in some ways what Joe has done at PSU is what he has aspired to do at Duke and has done many times over. He respects him and I think even he does put Joe on a pedestal above himself.

I think those two guys together like that sums what collegiate sports was always supposed to be about. And I don’t think basketball will ever have anyone near someone like K at an academic institution again. That is sad. There will never be another Joe Paterno in college football either, maybe no one even approaching him. In Joe’s football prime he was a genius beyond imagination.

Schooling and teaching wise these are two of the best that ever walked the sidelines. They do care about their kids deeply. I think when all is said and done it could be argued that they are the two greatest coaches in the history of their sport as well. They both have taken risks when it comes to kids and the academic over winning at all costs scenario, but both usually have won there as well.

I have been in the Joe should retire camp for a long time but when he actually does it will be extremely upsetting. He might have skirted some lines but never crossed them in his career, but he really is always going to be the last one standing tall in a polluted landscape.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/07/paterno_and_krzyzewski_wouldve.html

I was just going to post this. I got my first look at the Joe-K thing today at my folks, where my relatives are gathered. I watched ten minutes of it and turned it off. “OK, I get it,” I explained.

Aside from some amusing anecdotes from mostly Paterno, the whole thing just felt way too scripted. I have nothing against ESPN’s motives for their typical coverage and hype…but this show seemed out of place.

If I were a non-Duke ACC fan or a Syracuse/Pitt/WVU/Rutgers fan, I’d have reached for the clicker after five minutes …that’s if I would have even ventured to the Egomaniacal Self imPortant Network in the first place.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for those coaches (and many like them), and being a Penn State and Paterno fan, I sort of found this interesting. But I do get where djones is coming from.

Many of us who work for these networks and cover (or covered, in my case) big-time athletes/coaches for a living will do nothing but pump up their egos. The network that we are working for doesn’t want to get on the bad side of the superstars of the sports that they have million and sometimes billion dollar contracts with. So they will play by their (athletes/coaches/leagues/schools) rules. And if that means pre-screened questions and keenly edited shows, then that’s what it means.

“Feed the hand that feeds you” is ESPN’s and other’s mottos and I sort of get it, but don’t like it (probably why I’m not working the NBA/NFL and the like anymore). Writers, like djones, don’t necessarily have to play by those rules. In fact, newspapers/e-media would prefer that they don’t to sell more papers and get more eyeballs.

With that all said, however, ESPN and Mark Shapiro specifically (different thread, I know) pi$$ed more than a few people off by rattling a few skeletons in the closets of some of the more famous people in sports during the production of the SportsCentury series (though most of those athletes were already past their prime and not associated with the leagues that ESPN had their big contracts with). In the end, it’s probably why SportsCentury is considered one of the greatest series ESPN or any other sports media outlet ever produced. It tackled some tough issues of some big-time athletes’ lives and sort of lived to tell about it.

Some Chambers moments in this video put out by Duke

ESPN Special with Coach K & Coach Paterno

[quote=“UncleLar, post:11, topic:2535”]Some Chambers moments in this video put out by Duke

ESPN Special with Coach K & Coach Paterno[/quote]

I like in the interview near the end how Coach K refers to Paterno as simply “Coach”.

Some Chambers moments in this video put out by Duke

ESPN Special with Coach K & Coach Paterno

I like in the interview near the end how Coach K refers to Paterno as simply “Coach”.

I believe there were several times throughout the program they had each referred to the other just as “Coach”. I guess that is a show of respect, kind of like calling a doctor “Doctor”.

Well, don’t they refer to Lou Holtz still as “Coach”?

I’ve always heard him refered to as Granny Clampet

My version of Hades would be being forced to watch/listen to Holtz and his ~itter partner on ESPN. That and Fox political talk!! :wink:
P.S. You could probaly add any other ESPN show to the list! When I think how GREAT it seemed when ESPN first was available in the 70’s. What a very shame!