PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Did PSU drop basketball?

Just went to the Daily Collegian to see what they wrote up on Travis. Of course they have Sports & Football. So one the sports page their is Golf, Volleyball, Rugby, Soccer, Hockey (isn’t that only a club sport as of now?), etc, etc. But no Men’s or Women’s basketball. WTF!

Wow, they even have a section for Club Sports. Maybe PSU had to drop hoops to add hockey? ::slight_smile:

All of which are currently active sports. The site is in transition mode and I wouldn’t lose much sleep over the fact that don’t have links to all sports up now (be happy that they finally added a search function today). Give them a week or two and I’m sure you’ll see hoops up there.

BTW - I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for something on Travis either. It could be considered an NCAA violation for them to write up anything.

Good timing :smiley:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/09/30/mens_basketball_travis.aspx

[quote="UncleLar, post:3, topic:1371"]BTW - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something on Travis either. It could be considered an NCAA violation for them to write up anything.[/quote]

I guess I’m wrong on that one. I know the Collegian byline says “published independently by students at Penn State” but I still thought they would be considered an official arm of the university and as such wouldn’t be allowed to comment on any recruit until the recruit signed a letter of intent.

[quote="UncleLar, post:3, topic:1371"]BTW - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something on Travis either. It could be considered an NCAA violation for them to write up anything.[/quote]

I guess I’m wrong on that one. I know the Collegian byline says “published independently by students at Penn State” but I still thought they would be considered an official arm of the university and as such wouldn’t be allowed to comment on any recruit until the recruit signed a letter of intent.

You guess you’re wrong? ;D

I was really suprised by the article this morning. A well written bit about Travis that didn’t have the token Anti-Ed slant. It doesn’t matter where you fall on that issue, at somepoint it gets old. Nice to see they’re just reporting for once.

It’s still possible that it’s a violation so I don’t know for a fact that I was wrong.

It’s still possible that it’s a violation so I don’t know for a fact that I was wrong.

Here’s the applicable rule.

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution.

The rule says that “the institution” may not comment. It doesn’t limit that to just the coaching staff. I was considering the Collegian as being part of the institution, despite their disclaimer to the contrary. It’s not clear to me that the NCAA would think differently but, given that the article was written, I would hope that they do. So I stand by my comment that I guess that I was wrong but am not 100% sure that I am.

The NCAA has ruled in the past that booster clubs and student support groups like the Nittany Nation are extensions of the university so it’s not a stretch to think that they would consider the student newspaper an extension also.

I would think any school newspaper would be an exception to the NCAA rule. The Collegian is a news reporting entity even if there is a large amount University influence. The University doesn’t have final say one what gets published in the paper so it is being treated like the Patriot, CDT or Altoona Mirror, legitimate news publishing company by the NCAA.

I’ll have to agree with this. If the Collegian is considered part of the “institution” by NCAA rules, then how can they report the “news” accurately and timely? Now, if the writer interviews a coach and includes quotes, then I could see it being a violation. As it stands, I’m thinking this is just reporting similar to any other newspaper.

“The Daily Collegian, The Weekly Collegian, Venues, Collegian Magazine and The Daily Collegian Online are published by Collegian Inc., an independent, non-profit corporation with a board of directors composed of students, faculty and professionals. Students of the Pennsylvania State University write and edit all publications and solicit advertising material for them.”

I’m not sure of the legal intricacies, but the Collegian is not considered a voice of the University. While there are certainly University connections, I believe the University has little control over what is published in the Collegian. I question that the NCAA could make the case that writing about a recruit in the Collegian constitutes a recruiting violation in the same way that a coach or a university official cannot talk about a recruit until the LOI is signed.

BTW, the U.S. Supreme Court has consistently defended students’ rights to free speech even when that speech arises in a venue funded and otherwise controlled by the university.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:12, topic:1371”]“The Daily Collegian, The Weekly Collegian, Venues, Collegian Magazine and The Daily Collegian Online are published by Collegian Inc., an independent, non-profit corporation with a board of directors composed of students, faculty and professionals. Students of the Pennsylvania State University write and edit all publications and solicit advertising material for them.”

I’m not sure of the legal intricacies, but the Collegian is not considered a voice of the University. While there are certainly University connections, I believe the University has little control over what is published in the Collegian. I question that the NCAA could make the case that writing about a recruit in the Collegian constitutes a recruiting violation in the same way that a coach or a university official cannot talk about a recruit until the LOI is signed.

BTW, the U.S. Supreme Court has consistently defended students’ rights to free speech even when that speech arises in a venue funded and otherwise controlled by the university. [/quote]

Collegian stories appear on the official university website, i.e. the psu.edu domain. That could be (again, I’m saying “could be”, not “would be” or “should be”) enough for the NCAA to declare the paper an extension of the university. It certainly gives them the appearance of being an official representative.

"The Daily Collegian, The Weekly Collegian, Venues, Collegian Magazine and The Daily Collegian Online are published by Collegian Inc., an [b]independent[/b], non-profit corporation with a board of directors composed of students, faculty and professionals. Students of the Pennsylvania State University write and edit all publications and solicit advertising material for them."

BTW, the U.S. Supreme Court has consistently defended students’ rights to free speech even when that speech arises in a venue funded and otherwise controlled by the university.

Collegian stories appear on the official university website, i.e. the psu.edu domain. That could be (again, I’m saying “could be”, not “would be” or “should be”) enough for the NCAA to declare the paper an extension of the university. It certainly gives them the appearance of being an official representative.

If the NCAA can call this a violation (which they have at other schools), nothing would surprise me regarding an article published on psu.edu.

Cappy, Cappy, Cappy …I thought you would know better :-\

Wow, in one thread we get our of UncleLar

I guess I'm wrong

AND

I don't know

Making bacon just got a whole lot harder.

I can’t imagine that this is the first time a verbal commitment was ever published in any coolegient newspaper let alone the Colligian.

Don’t they publish stories about football verbals all the time?

Another topic… Harrisburg Patriot-News articles appear on PennLive.com, but I don’t think PennLive is the official web-site of the Patriot-News. Maybe David Jones can give some insite into that.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:17, topic:1371”]I can’t imagine that this is the first time a verbal commitment was ever published in any coolegient newspaper let alone the Colligian.

Another topic… Harrisburg Patriot-News articles appear on PennLive.com, but I don’t think PennLive is the official web-site of the Patriot-News. Maybe David Jones can give some insite into that.[/quote]

To be honest, I don’t remember them doing any stories on PSU football verbals before LOI day (having said that, I went and looked and did find some).

PSU.edu is the official website of Penn State. There’s no doubt about that so I don’t see how the PennLive.com/Patriot-News relationship has any relevance (besides it is).

[quote="Skeeza, post:17, topic:1371"]I can't imagine that this is the first time a verbal commitment was ever published in any coolegient newspaper let alone the Colligian.

Another topic… Harrisburg Patriot-News articles appear on PennLive.com, but I don’t think PennLive is the official web-site of the Patriot-News. Maybe David Jones can give some insite into that.[/quote]

To be honest, I don’t remember them doing any stories on PSU football verbals before LOI day (having said that, I went and looked and did find some).

PSU.edu is the official website of Penn State. There’s no doubt about that so I don’t see how the PennLive.com/Patriot-News relationship has any relevance (besides it is).

I was talking about the relationship between the Collegian and psu.edu, not Penn State and psu.edu

OK, practice has started, Sasa is injured and still no coverage in the Collegian.