PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Dick Jerardi

Guys - I may have missed it, but has anyone read or heard an opinion from Dick Jerardi on the Chambers hire? The only thing I heard was from Steve Jones on Jed’s show on Monday night when he said that he and Dick met with Pat on Saturday in Philly and that it was a great meeting.

According to Dick, he’s in the middle of his horse racing obsession right now and hasn’t written much about hoops in quite a while.

I also believe that he purposely avoids going on the record about PSU basketball to avoid any appearance of bias.

Yeah, he never sounds like a homer when doing our games. :wink:

I was referring to his day job at teh Philly Daily News. if he wants to keep covering college hoops there, he has to keep a low profile with his night gig with us.

[quote="timauman, post:3, topic:2491"]I also believe that he purposely avoids going on the record about PSU basketball to avoid any appearance of bias.[/quote] Yeah, he never sounds like a homer when doing our games. ;)
If your indicating sarcasm, (by the wink) my opinion is quite the opposite. Steve, is usually sensitive toward saying things that could come off as critical. Steve falls into the homer category but I wouldn't say that about Dick. Together the desired balance is IMO pretty good. The one thing I really admire about Jerardi is his ability to put what he sees, (both good and bad) right out there on the table. He is rarely critical of individuals but can be of "team" execution errors. That has happened multiple times when his critque of Penn State team synergy has been negative. His consistent head scratching and disagreeing with the "player sits" for the remainder of the first half on second foul", rule that Ed so religiously subscribed to is just one example. The best thing about Jeradi's criticism, is that, one, it rarely is off the mark, and two, he also has the unique ability to communicate it in a palatable, inoffensive way.

Jerardi is outstanding at being honest without being snarky or mean. It’s a gift. Probably makes for a decent spouse, too. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Is it possible to be a “homer” and speak the truth? I think at some level Dick does both. He’s not afraid to be critical, but I sincerely belive that he’s as happy as anyone when the team does well and that comes through on his broadcasts at some level.

He picked Temple over us in football last year in the pre-game Philly.com writers’ poll. He knows his audience. I bet if he had to make a straight-up bet on that game, it wouldn’t be Temple. I like the guy on our hoop broadcasts. He’s rarely wrong on his “Keys to the Game” and he’s got a droll wit. Very analytical guy.

He (Jerardi) did? I know djones made that Temple pick but I never knew that Dick also made that pick.

[quote="Freethrow_Lion, post:9, topic:2491"]He picked Temple over us in football last year in the pre-game Philly.com writers' poll. He knows his audience. I bet if he had to make a straight-up bet on that game, it wouldn't be Temple. I like the guy on our hoop broadcasts. He's rarely wrong on his "Keys to the Game" and he's got a droll wit. Very analytical guy.[/quote]

He (Jerardi) did? I know djones made that Temple pick but I never knew that Dick also made that pick.

That was a trendy upset pick last year, with PSU rebuilding and Temple on the rise. The kind of pick sportswriters like because if Temple pulls the upset they look like geniuses but (hopefully) if PSU wins everyone will just forget about it. If nothing else, it was a cute way of pointing out that Temple’s stock was going up and PSU’s was (at that time) going down.

Sure, he is happy, he covers the team. That trait, I would expect but, I don’t think of that as being a homer. When I think of the “homer” type announcer I think of those with a lack of objectivity and those who just flat out root for their team and against the other team. Going back a generation, think of Bob Prince, Johnnie Most. Biggest homer of all time might be Ken “the Hawk” Harrelson.
Of course, Jeradi isn’t the play by play guy and the color guys traditionally (I believe) are not as prone to rooting from the booth.

I listen to the Spanish channel when the Cubs/White Sox play (and I don’t speak spanish). I can’t stand Harrelson.