PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

DeChellis's Future

Let’s leave sarcasm out of the poll. I want to get a feel of what people THINK WILL happen.

If they play at this clip (10-12th place B10), I feel like he’ll graciously step down sort of thing. I just can’t see Curley firing the coach of his dreams. God forbid this team shows some life and I don’t even want to know what Curley does. Extension perhaps.

This is almost unanimous. I didn’t think that many people from this group could agree on ANYTHING !

Long time big time supporter of Ed, but I think if the team comes out flat against IU like they were against Maine, Ed’s gotta go - even in mid-season. This team needs something to spark it - and at the moment, it isn’t Ed.

Yeah, if it’s 0-2, then it’s Purdue, Wisky and Illinois at home? Lose those 1st two, and those home games won’t be looking so promising(not that they do anyway). An 0-5 start would be a killer.

[quote="Great Santini, post:4, topic:1684"]Long time big time supporter of Ed, but I think if the team comes out flat against IU like they were against Maine, Ed's gotta go - even in mid-season. This team needs something to spark it - and at the moment, it isn't Ed.[/quote]

Yeah, if it’s 0-2, then it’s Purdue, Wisky and Illinois at home? Lose those 1st two, and those home games won’t be looking so promising(not that they do anyway). An 0-5 start would be a killer.

You know I am not an Ed supporter and haven’t been for the last 3 years, but in spite of Ed, I think the Nits will be 1-1 heading into home schedule.

[quote="Great Santini, post:4, topic:1684"]Long time big time supporter of Ed, but I think if the team comes out flat against IU like they were against Maine, Ed's gotta go - even in mid-season. This team needs something to spark it - and at the moment, it isn't Ed.[/quote]

You know I am not an Ed supporter and haven’t been for the last 3 years, but in spite of Ed, I think the Nits will be 1-1 heading into home schedule.

I hope so, but who do you see them beating? I don’t like the IU matchups. IU has two starters who are 6’9", and two big guards, 6’5",with the third guard being their best 3 shooter, over 50% at 25-48. But Watford, one of the 6’9" guys, is leading rebounder and scorer, and the other hit 19 of his last 25 shots over his last 4 games. It sets up to be more of the same, killed in the paint and at the foul line. PSU is 143-200(71.5%) at the line in 11 games, IU is 221-321(68.8%), IU showing a greater willingness to go inside. Don’t know league stats yet, but have to believe PSU is at or near bottom in FTA’s and FTM’s if they’re that far behind IU. IU gets 17ppg from the line, PSU gets 11ppg there. It’s less important how well you shoot them than getting there more often. One silver lining, we shoot them better than IU, so we shouldn’t keep complaining about that. Holding teams to essentially the same point total, ~63 per game, IU is scoring 11.3 more ppg than PSU, 77.1 to 63.8. IMO, points in the paint and FTA’s decide this one.

I hope so, but who do you see them beating? I don’t like the IU matchups. IU has two starters who are 6’9", and two big guards, 6’5",with the third guard being their best 3 shooter, over 50% at 25-48. But Watford, one of the 6’9" guys, is leading rebounder and scorer, and the other hit 19 of his last 25 shots over his last 4 games. It sets up to be more of the same, killed in the paint and at the foul line. PSU is 143-200(71.5%) at the line in 11 games, IU is 221-321(68.8%), IU showing a greater willingness to go inside. Don’t know league stats yet, but have to believe PSU is at or near bottom in FTA’s and FTM’s if they’re that far behind IU. IU gets 17ppg from the line, PSU gets 11ppg there. It’s less important how well you shoot them than getting there more often. One silver lining, we shoot them better than IU, so we shouldn’t keep complaining about that. Holding teams to essentially the same point total, ~63 per game, IU is scoring 11.3 more ppg than PSU, 77.1 to 63.8. IMO, points in the paint and FTA’s decide this one.

They aren’t at the bottom.

Wisconsin (187), Northwestern (199), and Michigan (195)all have fewer free throw attempts than PSU (200).
Northwestern (138) and Michigan (135) have fewer free throws made than PSU (200).

However, those are statistics that are distorted. Simplistically, not every team has played the same number of games (even you would agree that normalizing to the number of games played would be logical).

On that basis, Illinois replaces Northwestern on the “getting to the line and making” team.

Illinois (17.1), Michigan (16.3), and Wisconsin (15.6) have fewer FTA/game than PSU (18.2)
Wisconsin (12.4) , Illinois (11.6) and Michigan (11.3) have fewer FTM/game than PSU (13.0).

Those numbers should be further adjusted by turning them into tempo-free numbers (which is where I’m sure you are going to object). The right way to measure the numbers is on a percentage of shots taken basis. If a team takes ten more shots a game than another, chances are pretty good that they well get to the line more often than the other). Measured that way, four teams are worse than PSU.

FTM/FGA: PSU (.232), Wisconsin (.222), Ohio St (.221), Michigan (.197), Illinois (.188)
FTA/FGA: PSU (.324), Ohio St (.321), Michigan (.285), Illinois (.277)

So while PSU is in the lower half of the league, they are by no means the worst. Plus given the fact that Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Illinois are generally considered to be among the better teams in the league but rank poorly here, I’m not going to put too much value in this stat (oops, excuse me, stat is a dirty word to you, perhaps I should have said “in this observation”).

Here is my take on the season. We will have nights when everything we throw toward the hoop goes in while our opponent plays the way we did against MSM & Maine. Then we will have our annual upset of a legitimate B10 contender. A few nights we will just be incredibly lucky-we might even surpass last year’s stellar B10 record.

Wisconsin (187), Northwestern (199), and Michigan (195)all have fewer free throw attempts than PSU (200).
Northwestern (138) and Michigan (135) have fewer free throws made than PSU (200).

However, those are statistics that are distorted. Simplistically, not every team has played the same number of games (even you would agree that normalizing to the number of games played would be logical).

On that basis, Illinois replaces Northwestern on the “getting to the line and making” team.

Illinois (17.1), Michigan (16.3), and Wisconsin (15.6) have fewer FTA/game than PSU (18.2)
Wisconsin (12.4) , Illinois (11.6) and Michigan (11.3) have fewer FTM/game than PSU (13.0).

Those numbers should be further adjusted by turning them into tempo-free numbers (which is where I’m sure you are going to object). The right way to measure the numbers is on a percentage of shots taken basis. If a team takes ten more shots a game than another, chances are pretty good that they well get to the line more often than the other). Measured that way, four teams are worse than PSU.

FTM/FGA: PSU (.232), Wisconsin (.222), Ohio St (.221), Michigan (.197), Illinois (.188)

So while PSU is in the lower half of the league, they are by no means the worst. Plus given the fact that Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Illinois are generally considered to be among the better teams in the league, I’m not going to put too much value in this stat (oops, excuse me, stat is a dirty word to you, perhaps I should have said “in this observation”).

PSU took 200, not made 200. They made 143. Nice try though. Yeah, “the right way to measure numbers” certainly helped you in your Maine prediction.

So while PSU is in the lower half of the league, they are by no means the worst. Plus given the fact that Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Illinois are generally considered to be among the better teams in the league, I’m not going to put too much value in this stat (oops, excuse me, stat is a dirty word to you, perhaps I should have said “in this observation”).

PSU took 200, not made 200. They made 143. Nice try though. Yeah, “the right way to measure numbers” certainly helped you in your Maine prediction.

It was a cut and paste error from the previous line. 143 is still more made than Northwestern or Michigan. It doesn’t change the comparison at all.

And every time you bring up the Maine game, I’ll bring up last year’s Eyeballs vs Geeks competition and remind you that the result of 70-80 games is clearly more valid than the result of one game, so you might as well drop that argument.

Looks like I’m in the majority. But, I’m also not too :o by it.

I would be curious to see what Curley would do if Ed happens to get to 0-10/1-10/1-11. I don’t like the looks of this season one bit. Not enough experience, no biggies off the bench, and no MOMENTUM right now. Hey, let’s look at it this way. No doubt Ed is telling the team “the REAL season starts at Indiana”! This first game is one of the few winnable games we have.

[quote=“Smitty, post:12, topic:1684”]Looks like I’m in the majority. But, I’m also not too :o by it.

I would be curious to see what Curley would do if Ed happens to get to 0-10/1-10/1-11. I don’t like the looks of this season one bit. Not enough experience, no biggies off the bench, and no MOMENTUM right now. Hey, let’s look at it this way. No doubt Ed is telling the team “the REAL season starts at Indiana”! This first game is one of the few winnable games we have.[/quote]
We start 4 seniors!! Two of them are 5th year. All contributed all 4 years. The 5th starter is a soph. who played a lot last year. The top perimeter sub (at this time) is a 3rd year player. The top big sub is a 3rd year kid (first year of playing.)
Could be the MOST experienced team in the nation…

[quote="Smitty, post:12, topic:1684"]Looks like I'm in the majority. But, I'm also not too :o by it.

I would be curious to see what Curley would do if Ed happens to get to 0-10/1-10/1-11. I don’t like the looks of this season one bit. Not enough experience, no biggies off the bench, and no MOMENTUM right now. Hey, let’s look at it this way. No doubt Ed is telling the team “the REAL season starts at Indiana”! This first game is one of the few winnable games we have.[/quote]
We start 4 seniors!! Two of them are 5th year. All contributed all 4 years. The 5th starter is a soph. who played a lot last year. The top perimeter sub (at this time) is a 3rd year player. The top big sub is a 3rd year kid (first year of playing.)

Good one Tundra!

That 5th starter ye speaks of, Frazier…yeah, right, ok. One whole year in the program. Next.
Who is that top perimeter sub ye speaks of? Woodyard? Yeah, right, ok.
Who is that top big sub ye speaks of? Oliver? Yeah, right, ok.

You forgot to mention all those juniors on the squad. OOPS! I meant sophs. OOPS! Make that frosh.

I think tundra meant most experienced starting 5 – which could very well be true.

[quote="Smitty, post:12, topic:1684"]Looks like I'm in the majority. But, I'm also not too :o by it.

Good one Tundra!

That 5th starter ye speaks of, Frazier…yeah, right, ok. One whole year in the program. Next.
Who is that top perimeter sub ye speaks of? Woodyard? Yeah, right, ok.
Who is that top big sub ye speaks of? Oliver? Yeah, right, ok.

You forgot to mention all those juniors on the squad. OOPS! I meant sophs. OOPS! Make that frosh.

I’m with Tundra here. Of the top seven players, six are in their third year or more with the program. Only Frazier, in his second year, has been around less time. Woodyard and Oliver don’t have a ton of court experience. But Battle, Brooks, Jackson and Jones have been starting for pretty much 4 years – and Jackson and Jones are 5th year seniors.

To say this team has “not enough experience” is … not sure how to put it politely, so I’ll leave it at that.