DeChellis gives some insight into JC difficulties

In a Collegian article published today, ED provided some background on why a lot of JC kids can’t qualify at PSU.

Big Ten rules require a prospective player to have 52 hours of transferable credits in order for a school to bring him in. On top of that restriction, DeChellis said Penn State does not accept a D for credit.

“Sometimes kids in junior college are there because they either need to sharpen up their skills athletically or do some work academically,” DeChellis said. “You can just have one D in one course and he goes from 52 down to 49 [hours], and he’s not admissible. I think that’s the challenge for us academically.”

So many hurdles for this team! Extend that contract a little more. :wink:

At least none of our guys are going to jail yet. :wink:

Neither are Seton Hall’s… YET! :smiley:

Well Ed, maybe if you developed the players that you recruited, you wouldn’t have to go the JC route.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:5, topic:1041”]Well Ed, maybe if you developed the players that you recruited, you wouldn’t have to go the JC route.[/quote]Or if he could keep them

I think this thread typifies why TJB might not want to keep this thing up. There was some good information about why we can’t just take any JuCo that we choose, it it only takes a few posts to turn into an “Ed Bashing” thread. I used to love coming here, and I’m perfectly fine with opposing viewpoints to my own as it gives something to discuss. However, as of late, this place has taken a huge turn for the worse. It’s too bad.

Completely agree. It’d be one thing if I felt like people were genuinely concerned about the program, but it all comes off as so smug - like it’s such a simple thing and we’re all just complete morons for not jumping on the “let’s bash Ed every minute of the day” bandwagon. It’s definitely getting old, I was hoping it’d die down as we moved further into the off-season but it’s not looking good.

[quote="frats, post:7, topic:1041"]I think this thread typifies why TJB might not want to keep this thing up. There was some good information about why we can't just take any JuCo that we choose, it it only takes a few posts to turn into an "Ed Bashing" thread. I used to love coming here, and I'm perfectly fine with opposing viewpoints to my own as it gives something to discuss. However, as of late, this place has taken a huge turn for the worse. It's too bad.[/quote]

Completely agree. It’d be one thing if I felt like people were genuinely concerned about the program, but it all comes off as so smug - like it’s such a simple thing and we’re all just complete morons for not jumping on the “let’s bash Ed every minute of the day” bandwagon. It’s definitely getting old, I was hoping it’d die down as we moved further into the off-season but it’s not looking good.

You must sit aroud all day waiting to put on your cape. You need to relax a tad partner its a message board not the end of the world

[quote="frats, post:7, topic:1041"]I think this thread typifies why TJB might not want to keep this thing up. There was some good information about why we can't just take any JuCo that we choose, it it only takes a few posts to turn into an "Ed Bashing" thread. I used to love coming here, and I'm perfectly fine with opposing viewpoints to my own as it gives something to discuss. However, as of late, this place has taken a huge turn for the worse. It's too bad.[/quote]

You must sit aroud all day waiting to put on your cape. You need to relax a tad partner its a message board not the end of the world

What a jerk. 80% of your posts at put downs. You might want to change your name before Talor sues you for defamation of character. Pettiness and cheap shots are definitely not “Battle’s way”

To me, this is more than just any message board, it’s my favorite place to visit on the net. And the direction things are heading right now, it won’t be around much longer. But feel free to let us know how we’re “apologists” if we don’t spend every single post taking shots at Ed and the program.

I never have to wait long…

I’m not trying to bash anything, but I feel like it wasn’t that long ago bringing JUCO’s in at PSU was looked down upon. Should it be a surprise that PSU does not want to bring in JUCO’s with poor grades?

[quote=“frats, post:7, topic:1041”]I think this thread typifies why TJB might not want to keep this thing up. There was some good information about why we can’t just take any JuCo that we choose, it it only takes a few posts to turn into an “Ed Bashing” thread. I used to love coming here, and I’m perfectly fine with opposing viewpoints to my own as it gives something to discuss. However, as of late, this place has taken a huge turn for the worse. It’s too bad. [/quote]Please tell me what was wrong with what was said. Both comments are the truth not opinions. It is what it is. Doesn’t have success rate of developing players or keeping around ones he brings in. All we were saying is if Ed can fix this he wouldn’t have to worry about not being able to get JC players in . I forgot it’s an opinion that doesn’t have me crapping blue & white so it’s not allowed.If you can tell me what is false about either statement I will gladly apologize.

[quote="frats, post:7, topic:1041"]I think this thread typifies why TJB might not want to keep this thing up. There was some good information about why we can't just take any JuCo that we choose, it it only takes a few posts to turn into an "Ed Bashing" thread. I used to love coming here, and I'm perfectly fine with opposing viewpoints to my own as it gives something to discuss. However, as of late, this place has taken a huge turn for the worse. It's too bad.[/quote]Please tell me what was wrong with what was said. Both comments are the truth not opinions. It is what it is. Doesn't have success rate of developing players or keeping around ones he brings in. All we were saying is if Ed can fix this he wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get JC players in . I forgot it's an opinion that doesn't have me crapping blue & white so it's not allowed.If you can tell me what is false about either statement I will gladly apologize.

Your edited statement?

GREAT POINT NICU…It was definitely looked down upon…it was one of the reasons(excuses) why we didn’t win. Funny how some things change and some things don’t.

[quote="frats, post:7, topic:1041"]I think this thread typifies why TJB might not want to keep this thing up. There was some good information about why we can't just take any JuCo that we choose, it it only takes a few posts to turn into an "Ed Bashing" thread. I used to love coming here, and I'm perfectly fine with opposing viewpoints to my own as it gives something to discuss. However, as of late, this place has taken a huge turn for the worse. It's too bad.[/quote]Please tell me what was wrong with what was said. Both comments are the truth not opinions. It is what it is. Doesn't have success rate of developing players or keeping around ones he brings in. All we were saying is if Ed can fix this he wouldn't have to worry about not being able to get JC players in . I forgot it's an opinion that doesn't have me crapping blue & white so it's not allowed.If you can tell me what is false about either statement I will gladly apologize.

A lot of your stuff belongs on pennlive.com, not here.

A lot of your stuff belongs on pennlive.com, not here.

I wouldn’t go that low :-\ I will give some of them credit they can admit that psu basketball is in need of major overall. It just baffles me how some people can actually convince themselves we are “on the right tracK” or “we are close to making the ncaa’s next year” …I root just as hard as the next person and want to see PSU basketball do well but there comes a point in time where enough is enough. I refuse to give in. I’ll try to take down a noth and just play along :’(

If this was one particular thread that headed in this direction, then you’d have a point. However this board has reached the point where every thread is negative/attacking Ed or the players/attacking the administration/attacking other posters. You make a thread about difficulties with JuCo’s, and we hear about how Ed can’t develop or recruit players. You make a thread about next year’s schedule, and we hear about how all Ed will care about is trying to save his job, or how we can’t win anyways because we were 3-13 this season. If you make a thread about Taran Buie, you’ll hear about how he’s making a terrible choice coming to PSU because it’s a sinking ship. You make a thread about next year’s lineup/squad, and you’ll just hear about how it doesn’t matter because we don’t have a post presence and Ed can’t coach them anyways.

We’re coming off a 3-13 season in the Big Ten and just lost a starter and a two backups, so it’s obviously not going to be all positive around here. However, you talk about how you’re not “crapping blue & white”. Who around here is? Everyone is disappointed, but the problem with you and many others is that you bring your crap into every single post, attack anyone that doesn’t agree with you by calling them names like “apologist” or “kool-aid drinker” or some other derogatory name. And just spew complete negativity in every single post. I simply commented that this is the type of stuff that I’m sure that TJB hates, and I won’t be at all surprised if this board is no longer if things continue heading in this direction. I’d love to give a donation to keep things going, however I’m getting the feeling that it may not be worth it to Tim with the direction things have headed here.

If this was one particular thread that headed in this direction, then you’d have a point. However this board has reached the point where every thread is negative/attacking Ed or the players/attacking the administration/attacking other posters. You make a thread about difficulties with JuCo’s, and we hear about how Ed can’t develop or recruit players. You make a thread about next year’s schedule, and we hear about how all Ed will care about is trying to save his job, or how we can’t win anyways because we were 3-13 this season. If you make a thread about Taran Buie, you’ll hear about how he’s making a terrible choice coming to PSU because it’s a sinking ship. You make a thread about next year’s lineup/squad, and you’ll just hear about how it doesn’t matter because we don’t have a post presence and Ed can’t coach them anyways.

We’re coming off a 3-13 season in the Big Ten and just lost a starter and a two backups, so it’s obviously not going to be all positive around here. However, you talk about how you’re not “crapping blue & white”. Who around here is? Everyone is disappointed, but the problem with you and many others is that you bring your crap into every single post, attack anyone that doesn’t agree with you by calling them names like “apologist” or “kool-aid drinker” or some other derogatory name. And just spew complete negativity in every single post. I simply commented that this is the type of stuff that I’m sure that TJB hates, and I won’t be at all surprised if this board is no longer if things continue heading in this direction. I’d love to give a donation to keep things going, however I’m getting the feeling that it may not be worth it to Tim with the direction things have headed here.

Exactly. It takes the “discussion” out of the discussion forum.