PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

DeChellis expects to get stuck in Champaign a day or two

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/blizzard-forecast-changes-travel-plans-for-michigan-state-penn-state-michigan-and-other-notes/

"DeChellis said Penn State was trying to leave earlier Monday but the Nittany Lions couldn’t reschedule their flight out of [b]tough-to-get-out-of[/b] State College, Pa.

“They’re telling me we’re not going to get back (Tuesday night),” DeChellis said. “… Pack an extra set of clothes because we’re not even sure we’re going to get back here Wednesday.”"

I see the urban legend of PSU being a ‘camping trip’ is still stuck on some.

i am going to have to ask my wife about this, but i thought when she was there in the mid 90’s, they had their own charter plane they used

Yes, they charter planes. E145s usually. Likely the charter couldn’t get to State College earlier than its original schedule.

Someone on one of the Illini boards was joking that Assembly Hall will be empty tomorrow due to the blizzard and that PSU will feel right at home playing in front of all those empty seats. :smiley:

Hopefully, the team will be shown some nice Illini hospitality their extra day or two in Champaign after they dispose of the Illini once again.

In fact, it sounds like the opening line of a bad joke…“PSU got ‘stuck in champaign’ for two days…Bubby’s feeling a little more bubbly.”

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:1876”]Someone on one of the Illini boards was joking that Assembly Hall will be empty tomorrow due to the blizzard and that PSU will feel right at home playing in front of all those empty seats. :D[/quote]Actually, that’s not really a joke…makes sense to me ;D

First they have to get to Champaign. Their flight got diverted to Evansville.

Apparently they’re driving up from Evansville.

“Plan B. Lions will hunker down in Evansville tonight and try to get to Champaign in the morning.”

Should be a good break overnight…hopefully they get a good rest and wake up early to hit the road.

Ugh, what a pain in the butt this weather has been. Hopefully they make it there safe, well-rested, and ready to roll. Nothing like flying right into the heart of the storm.

Ouch, that is not a short trip at all! Nearly 3 and half hours according to google maps, that being in good weather! Hope they get a good rest tonight! What a tough spot to be in. They are closer (by car) to Nashville, TN than they are to Champaign! Yikes. :o

Dont like the way this sounds for our guys. What are the chances the game is postponed because we cant get there? I hear its really supposed to be treacherous out that way.

Without a lot of illini fans in the building it will make it easier for our guys to win. I’m feeling more optimistic about the game now.

I just saw a piece on TV where this is being forecasted as one of the 5 top winter storms in the history of the U.S.. The Illini are at home. All the stress points are on the travel team. Worry about flying in terrible weather, can we get to Champagne, when can we get out of there and get back home.
Put yourself in the two different team situations, which one would be the easiest to deal with? Forget the empty seats angle, mentally we have a whole lot more to deal with than the Illini, and that could be a distraction. At least for me, when traveling on company business, scary bad weather and hoping the flight can get me home, or that the drive won’t be hazordous, etc. was always a distraction.
Weather issues give an edge to the home team.

Without a lot of illini fans in the building it will make it easier for our guys to win. I'm feeling more optimistic about the game now.
I just saw a piece on TV where this is being forecasted as one of the 5 top winter storms [b]in the history of the U.S.[/b]. The Illini are at home. All the stress points are on the travel team. Worry about flying in terrible weather, can we get to Champagne, when can we get out of there and get back home. Put yourself in the two different team situations, which one would be the easiest to deal with? Forget the empty seats angle, mentally we have a whole lot more to deal with than the Illini, and that could be a distraction. At least for me, when traveling on company business, scary bad weather and hoping the flight can get me home, or that the drive won't be hazordous, etc. was always a distraction. Weather issues give an edge to the home team.

You always hear things like this talked about, but I swear more often than not the team that is supposedly all screwed up from travel issues winds up being more focused than the other guys. I am not worried about that part of this equation at all, just hoping they get there in time to warm-up and that it’s not too long of a day spent on the roads.

Without a lot of illini fans in the building it will make it easier for our guys to win. I'm feeling more optimistic about the game now.
I just saw a piece on TV where this is being forecasted as one of the 5 top winter storms [b]in the history of the U.S.[/b]. The Illini are at home. All the stress points are on the travel team. Worry about flying in terrible weather, can we get to Champagne, when can we get out of there and get back home. Put yourself in the two different team situations, which one would be the easiest to deal with? Forget the empty seats angle, mentally we have a whole lot more to deal with than the Illini, and that could be a distraction. At least for me, when traveling on company business, scary bad weather and hoping the flight can get me home, or that the drive won't be hazordous, etc. was always a distraction. Weather issues give an edge to the home team.

The “worst storm in history” part refers more to the vast area of the country effected than it does to the intensity of the storm.

Im just hoping for safe travel to and from

Absolutely. I’d hope the Big Ten works with the team tomorrow and makes sure that they don’t travel unless they feel comfortable doing so. Or at least I hope the Big Ten is more forgiving than the Colonial Conference…

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6066086

Same here, just want the team to be safe

Im just hoping for safe travel to and from

Same here, just want the team to be safe

Safe and well. At least a couple of the guys are dealing with flu symptoms in addition to the travel and weather woes.

I assume you meant flu? Who is sick? That’s miserable to be sick and stuck in traveling! This will be a BIG win if we pull it off!