PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Dave Jones report on Brooks injury

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/02/penn_state_loses_jeff_brooks_g.html

I don’t think we have a chance Sunday without him. It is a must game. As soon as he went down I thought of Cornely and how that limited him for the rest of the season.

Nice job of a follow up by Dave, but he got his days mixed up…

The Lions (12-9, 5-5 Big Ten)[b] face Michigan at the Jordan Center at noon on Monday[/b]. Brooks will certainly miss that game and the subsequent road trip to Michigan State.

Since when does the BIG TEN play Mondays at noon? It’s a SUNDAY game.

I thought of that same thing too, but more how the team learned to win without Jamelle. When he did come back, it made the team that much stronger. I just hope we can get a W or two in the meantime…

This is when not having a bench and not being able to recruit is going to bite this coaching staff in the butt. Its unfortunate this happened to Jeff but if this team fails all fingers point at them. It’s not and shouldn’t be used as another excuse its a flaw in the program that’s about to rear its ugly head.

This is a HUGE blow, and it pretty much would end our NCAA tournament hopes unless we go on a tear when he comes back. Deeply disappointed for the kid, he was such an important factor for this team. His skill, athleticism, and leadership are vital for our team’s success, and without him we don’t have much of a chance in either of these games IMO. This is where the leaving of Ott, Sasa’s injury, Graham’s injury, Baab’s transfer, and Edwards leaving really hurt this team. We could at least cope a little bit with multiple guys.

Oh well, hopefully Ed can figure it out. Billy Oliver was horribly exposed vs the Illini (more so because of his minutes, not like he played substantially worse than he has all season), and him being on the floor for 25+ minutes is a big area of concern with this team. Not that I’m trying to attack, but I’m pointing out a weakness that Ed is going to have to find a way to cope with. That’s all I’m saying.

It isn’t correct to say that he will certainly miss the next two. He could play Sunday. It is unlikely, but possible. He also could be out for the season.

If he is out, I don’t see how PSU can win against any Big Ten teams. A 6-6 walk on will be playing significant minutes in the post with him out, unless they switch to a 3 G lineup, which wouldn’t be a bad plan.

Without a win Sunday, the only way a tourney bid happens is a win in the Big Ten Tournament.

Cornley, Claxton, Brooks-maybe we need to get a little deeper??? Sad for Jeff after such a great comeback.

Follow up.

Team hopes to make it back by 7 pm. Trainer Jon Salazer seems a bit hopeful about Brooks’ return.

Maybe that means Brooks’ wasn’t nearly as sore today as they expected.

He’ll probably take a beeline to the hospital after landing for that MRI.

I tweeted Djones about this, but figured someone here might know the answer, as well:

Are there treatments/drugs/therapies for this kind of injury that would be administered to help treat the patient if he wasn’t an NCAA athlete that can’t be used in this case because of NCAA bans on substances?

The worst part to me is that it is his right shoulder his dominant side so shooting/dribbling/blocks would be tougher than if it would’ve been his left

[quote=“rwd5035, post:6, topic:1891”]This is a HUGE blow, and it pretty much would end our NCAA tournament hopes unless we go on a tear when he comes back. Deeply disappointed for the kid, he was such an important factor for this team. His skill, athleticism, and leadership are vital for our team’s success, and without him we don’t have much of a chance in either of these games IMO. This is where the leaving of Ott, Sasa’s injury, Graham’s injury, Baab’s transfer, and Edwards leaving really hurt this team. We could at least cope a little bit with multiple guys.

Oh well, hopefully Ed can figure it out. Billy Oliver was horribly exposed vs the Illini (more so because of his minutes, not like he played substantially worse than he has all season), and him being on the floor for 25+ minutes is a big area of concern with this team. Not that I’m trying to attack, but I’m pointing out a weakness that Ed is going to have to find a way to cope with. That’s all I’m saying.[/quote]

Billy was in a bad spot, not so much exposed.

I’m sure he was spoken to when this happened. He was told “DO NOT get into foul trouble.” I’ll bet he was walking on egg shells.

Imagine if Billy did get in foul trouble, or fouled out.

[quote=“bstanf, post:11, topic:1891”]I tweeted Djones about this, but figured someone here might know the answer, as well:

Are there treatments/drugs/therapies for this kind of injury that would be administered to help treat the patient if he wasn’t an NCAA athlete that can’t be used in this case because of NCAA bans on substances?[/quote]

If necessary, an athlete can get an exception for treatment using a banned substance.

Absolutely.

I don’t want to sound like a wet blanket, but I would question Brook’s effectiveness even if he did return.

Cornley had more of a horizontal game, he used his strength to move people and get position. Brooks is a vertical player. If you have trouble raising your arm above your head, it’s much much harder to play Brook’s game than Cornley. Mel was not a shot blocker or dunker. Brooks is.

Can someone explain to me why we have no bench? What happened to cause this other than the normal transfer, suspensions, etc. Every team has those.

IF the injury report is bad…do we burn Graham’s red-shirt?? ???

It’s not worth it at this point. Would Graham (if healthy) be any better off than Kirkpatrick?

[quote="battlesway2, post:5, topic:1891"]This is when not having a bench and not being able to recruit is going to bite this coaching staff in the butt. Its unfortunate this happened to Jeff but if this team fails all fingers point at them. It's not and shouldn't be used as another excuse its a flaw in the program that's about to rear its ugly head.[/quote]

Can someone explain to me why we have no bench? What happened to cause this other than the normal transfer, suspensions, etc. Every team has those.

RECRUITING. Something we don’t seem to do very well at

[quote="battlesway2, post:5, topic:1891"]This is when not having a bench and not being able to recruit is going to bite this coaching staff in the butt. Its unfortunate this happened to Jeff but if this team fails all fingers point at them. It's not and shouldn't be used as another excuse its a flaw in the program that's about to rear its ugly head.[/quote]

I’ll copy my post from the other thread where you asked this question…

The easy answer is that several guys that probably would have seen minutes are either hurt or left the program. Obviously Babb would have been playing major minutes. Edwards and Taran would have certainly been some of our depth. Ott would have been our size on the bench. Once he left, that role appeared to go to Sasa. Once he got hurt, it looked like Graham might be our best option, and now he’s hurt. Highberger may have also saw some minutes off the bench. Any one of those on their own isn’t a big deal, but all together they took our depth from average to almost zero.