Dave Jones Hoops Preview

[size=12pt]PSU hoops preview with season starting Friday[/size]

[size=8pt]By DAVID JONES, The Patriot-News
November 09, 2009, 11:26PM
[/size]

Balance is so important in many aspects of life. In team sports, it is all-encompassing.

The men’s basketball team at Penn State had a unique mix last year that dragged it from chronic obscurity into the first division of the league for the first time in 13 years. It wasn’t just a balanced roster on the court but off it as well.
. . .
[hr]

Go to the rest of the article

If I didn’t know any better I’d think he may have softened up on us a little bit…haha

Interesting how Jones sees the playing time being distributed. Sasa as 10th man at best. Marshall redshirting. But if Woodyard, Edwards and Frazier are all going to see decent playing time, how do you think the rotation will look (since they are all guards / wings)? I think Woodyard can be the bench shooter that Danny was last year. Edwards maybe the same. I can’t wait to get this season rolling to see how it all plays out.

I always love the descriptions that Jones gives! :smiley:

[quote=“mjg, post:3, topic:208”]Interesting how Jones sees the playing time being distributed. Sasa as 10th man at best. Marshall redshirting. But if Woodyard, Edwards and Frazier are all going to see decent playing time, how do you think the rotation will look (since they are all guards / wings)? I think Woodyard can be the bench shooter that Danny was last year. Edwards maybe the same. I can’t wait to get this season rolling to see how it all plays out.[/quote]Don’t worry about his predictions. I think he picked Northwestern to win the b10 in football ;D Just kidding Dave :wink: I still can’t figure that one out

Good article, but a couple of things. He raves about Edwards, but then says this, after mentioning DJ at the 4, and suggesting Brooks play more like a 4(something some of us have suggested since Day 1). So, where does he exactly see Edwards fitting in?

The three spot is an enigma, the one hole where any sort of point contribution would be welcome and is sorely needed. Jeff Brooks has spent his two years here taking flat wing shots he doesn’t have the form to consistently hit and facing up for penetration moves he hasn’t developed. He’d be better served – and serve the team – to move closer to the hoop, don a hardhat and put his imposing 6-7 frame and prodigious leaping gifts to work.

Then he states this. This is just patently false. Did not Talor almost equal the NBA combine best? Wasn’t he quicker than Frazier on the drill, the 3/4 drill? Not particularly quick compared to who?

Battle is not particularly quick, either.

And what about this. He doesnt expect DJ to equal his frosh year offense (5.8ppg) Huh?

[i]David Jackson at the four-spot is a glue guy, not at all a traditional power forward but a facilitator. It would be nice if he could step up his offensive output to at least 2008 levels but it’s not expected.

mjg, doing the math gets you to Sasa as 10th man at best, but where does he mention Marshall as a redshirt?

I likewise had a few “huh” moments reading this article. Obviously, we don’t know much about these new guys and how much time they will get, but Im not sure that my expectations are on the same wavelength as Djones. The, “Battle isn’t particularly quick” line really baffles me. There must be another connotation that simply didn’t manifest in what he was trying to say. :-\

I think Dave meant isn’t “wow” quick like a lot of the big time scorers that are short.

Good article, but a couple of things. He raves about Edwards, but then says this, after mentioning DJ at the 4, and suggesting Brooks play more like a 4(something some of us have suggested since Day 1). So, where does he exactly see Edwards fitting in?

The three spot is an enigma, the one hole where any sort of point contribution would be welcome and is sorely needed. Jeff Brooks has spent his two years here taking flat wing shots he doesn’t have the form to consistently hit and facing up for penetration moves he hasn’t developed. He’d be better served – and serve the team – to move closer to the hoop, don a hardhat and put his imposing 6-7 frame and prodigious leaping gifts to work.

Then he states this. This is just patently false. Did not Talor almost equal the NBA combine best? Wasn’t he quicker than Frazier on the drill, the 3/4 drill? Not particularly quick compared to who?

Battle is not particularly quick, either.

And what about this. He doesnt expect DJ to equal his frosh year offense (5.8ppg) Huh?

[i]David Jackson at the four-spot is a glue guy, not at all a traditional power forward but a facilitator. It would be nice if he could step up his offensive output to at least 2008 levels but it’s not expected.

Interesting how Jones sees the playing time being distributed. Sasa as 10th man at best. Marshall redshirting. But if Woodyard, Edwards and Frazier are all going to see decent playing time, how do you think the rotation will look (since they are all guards / wings)? I think Woodyard can be the bench shooter that Danny was last year. Edwards maybe the same. I can't wait to get this season rolling to see how it all plays out.

mjg, doing the math gets you to Sasa as 10th man at best, but where does he mention Marshall as a redshirt?

At the very bottom where he projects all 15 players.

THE SUBS WHO WON’T

3 Jermaine Marshall 6-3 190 FR SF Patella injury from senior year at Red Land points toward likely redshirt.

21 Sasa Borovnjak 6-8 235 FR PF Slow-footed Serb could possibly fill 10th-man role but that’s it.

35 Billy Oliver 6-7 215 FR PF Has missed half of practices lately because of chronic headaches.

41 Steve Kirkpatrick 6-5 225 JR SF Scout-team player and Dean’s List student from Cumberland Valley.

13 Joe Silko 5-11 160 FR PG Walk-on from Pittsburgh new to roster this year.

Marshall will redshirt…hasn’t played since Junior year of HS. It’ll be better anyway in the long run, he’ll have been in the system for a while once some of these guys graduate.

I don’t read Dave Jones.

That’s your loss.

You don’t read Dave Jones? I can’t understand that attitude. Dave gets me as riled up as the next guy sometimes. But the guy can write. You are missing out if you simply ignore every piece with his name attached. The Patriot News sports section will be less relevant to me the day he stops writing for it.

[quote="tundra, post:11, topic:208"]I don't read Dave Jones.[/quote]

That’s your loss.

Maybe…but I’m just one guy who is a very selective consumer when it comes to sports journalists.

That’s your loss.

Maybe…but I’m just one guy who is a very selective consumer when it comes to sports journalists.

Huh, just my opinion but Jones and then Brennan are head and shoulders over the other any other scribes who follow the BB team.forumlinkbuilding company
ipad repairs

Jones may well be the most connected writer on any Penn State sports beat.

Hey David Jones…if you still frequent this forum you should start posting again…I think most of us appreciated your input.

For instance? Either I’m confused, or he is. He states that Frazier is “maybe the most physically gifted player to ever don a PSU uniform.” Okay, great speed and unreal ups. But Battle beat him in the 3/4 drill and was close to the NBA combine best. But he’s not particularly quick? Hmmm…got me. I agree that he stops, starts, etc., but so did Iverson. That’s how they shake guys, but that takes leg strength and quickness. Kalin Lucas can’t stay with him. Is Lucas quick? Walton had to do the dirty work. Not this year…

mjg, thanks for that. I quit at his email and didn’t scroll further. Looks like I’m dead on my Sasa prediction. 10th man at best. Ouch. Dave’s info a little too detailed to ignore.

Agreed.

That’s your loss.

I just want to make sure that you know you can read his stuff for free.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:6, topic:208”]Good article, but a couple of things. He raves about Edwards, but then says this, after mentioning DJ at the 4, and suggesting Brooks play more like a 4(something some of us have suggested since Day 1). So, where does he exactly see Edwards fitting in?

The three spot is an enigma, the one hole where any sort of point contribution would be welcome and is sorely needed. Jeff Brooks has spent his two years here taking flat wing shots he doesn’t have the form to consistently hit and facing up for penetration moves he hasn’t developed. He’d be better served – and serve the team – to move closer to the hoop, don a hardhat and put his imposing 6-7 frame and prodigious leaping gifts to work.[/quote]

I take it as he think Brooks should shift more to the 4, which could in turn give minutes to Edwards (or Cam) at the 3. Edwards camped out on the three point line would be much more beneficial than Brooks IMO.