PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Daily Collegian: Schedule raises concern

The Penn State men’s basketball team will continue its Big Ten conference season against long-time rivals at the Bryce Jordan Center in early January.

But when the Nittany Lions compete against Purdue University and Michigan State University on the hardwood, students will be on winter break, which puts supporters in a difficult situation.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/08/31/schedule_raises_concern.aspx

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:1, topic:1324”]The Penn State men’s basketball team will continue its Big Ten conference season against long-time rivals at the Bryce Jordan Center in early January.

But when the Nittany Lions compete against Purdue University and Michigan State University on the hardwood, students will be on winter break, which puts supporters in a difficult situation.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/08/31/schedule_raises_concern.aspx[/quote]

and the Collegian can’t even spell the star’s name right. >:(

“But Nittany Nation President Katie Huber said students need to turn out for more than just Taylor Battle”

I cringed when I saw that.

It really bugs me that PSU Basketball seems to be surrounded by this impossible to overcome “Can’t Do Attitude.”

Everything always points out the hurdles and difficulties as reasons for lack of success. There is never any kind of positive vibe.

PSU BBall is a no because instead of a yes if.

Some punctuation might make this a little easier to read!

I have a suggestion for the next article: “Spelling Raises Concern” :wink:

I’m sure they spelled Poszlusny’s name right every time.

[quote=“State4Life, post:6, topic:1324”]I have a suggestion for the next article: “Spelling Raises Concern” :wink:

I’m sure they spelled Poszlusny’s name right every time.[/quote]

LOL. Was that intentional?

Woops, put the z after the wrong s. Pretty ironic, but in my defense it has been a few years since I last had to spell that name.

[quote=“Still in State College, post:4, topic:1324”]It really bugs me that PSU Basketball seems to be surrounded by this impossible to overcome “Can’t Do Attitude.”

Everything always points out the hurdles and difficulties as reasons for lack of success. There is never any kind of positive vibe.

PSU BBall is a no because instead of a yes if.[/quote]

In the past, we used to have a “positive vibes” thread, but a good amount (not all) of members started shooting down these threads with negativity. Basically, it got to the point where if you didn’t end a post with a comment about how PSU’s SOS sucked or how DeChellis should be fired, you would immediately be marked as incredible, a dreamer, or not in touch with reality. So everything may always seem like it’s pointing to the hurdles and difficulties as reasons for lack of success. But in the end, the game has changed. The media, especially ESPN, have gotten so involved with the rules of the sport, how the sport is covered (halftime interviews, TV timeouts, etc) that we are left with a game that always is hard.

Even a few days ago when I mentioned that the tipping point of PSU basketball was during the 2008-09 season. I suggested that once that season went down, the things that happened, just or injust, it changed things in a way that to a large extent cannot be overcome, I was told to “dream on”. Basically, very few members here are willing to be honest about the current state of college basketball, the BigTen, and the media, and expectations.

2008-09 was an overachieving year. PSU put up the season of their lives. They gave everything, and got to a respectable level of success nationally, only for the reward to not be given to them. The next season people expected this team to have the same success or greater, and were tremendously disappointed when they finished last in the BigTen. Penn State does not fit into the cookie cutter world of college basketball. It doesn’t have the basketball prestige that other teams have to make home and home OOC matchups against the top teams. It (until next year) is the 11th member of the BigTen. (now all that has changed and that’s a whole other discussion)

So when it didn’t happen in 2009, and it kept getting worse, in more ways then one, the mood around here changed and now is trying to rebuild in the off season for next year. It all comes down to being honest about the things that are going on the world. If someone is labeled a dreamer or crazy when showing an injustice OR when complimenting the small strides the team was making, then what’s the other side to that? The other side is that it’s normal and accepted for trashing the team. That’s why PSU basketball is a no instead of a yes.

How to solve it? It’s not just a one-step process. Sometimes you have to go through the mud to find the diamond in the rough. If you just look at the pile of mud, you may think to yourself “why would I even want to search through the friggin mud. it’s mud after all, right?” one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

and as far as facing michigan state and purdue, two of the best teams in the league and biggest home games, at home when students are not there. well again it’s another “random” scheduling quirk that makes it tougher on penn state. who cares anyway? next year we could find ourselves in a basketball division with Nebraska. who knows, maybe 1,000 will show up and we’ll lull michigan state and purdue to sleep since michigan state purdue will probably never play a game with so little people the entire season. of course, if these games were on a weekend, we’d be looking at potential sellouts.

Here’s an even better idea. Play the games in rec hall since the students won’t be there anyway and you would probably still have enough people to pack rec hall. by the way, wasn’t there some member here who said last year that by this year we’d have a game in rec hall?

Holy Crap! Champ said something I agree with.

This day shall live in infamy.

Pssst. That’s not what you wrote.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:9, topic:1324"]Even a few days ago [b]when I mentioned that the tipping point of PSU basketball was during the 2008-09 season[/b]. I suggested that once that season went down, the things that happened, just or injust, it changed things in a way that to a large extent cannot be overcome, I was told to "dream on". Basically, very few members here are willing to be honest about the current state of college basketball, the BigTen, and the media, and expectations.[/quote]

“The tipping point was Penn State not being allowed to compete for the national championship in 2009. They were deemed not worthy due to their non conference strength of schedule.” That’s the quote i’m refering to. Still in State College wanted to know why PSU Basketball is surrounded by this impossible to overcome “Can’t Do Attitude.” He goes on to say “Everything always points out the hurdles and difficulties as reasons for lack of success. There is never any kind of positive vibe.”

UncleLar, he is trying to understand it, so i am trying to explain the reasons to the best of my ability. And, as sensational as my Ottzilla rant was about the 38-33 win over Illinois, if you think about it and get past the comedy of Ottzilla and how bad comparatively this past season, that was truly a tipping point.

People watched that game and said “screw Penn State”. That’s not a real win. Instead of a top 25 win like that on the road, a win that would surely get someone into the tournament if there was any doubt, not withstanding the fact that they beat that same team again while still ranked a few games later, instead of that win drawing tremendous praise, it was actually made fun of by ESPN, as if since it was a low scoring game, it wasn’t worthy of reward. and lo and behold, the fact that PSU was indeed deemed not worthy to compete in the NCAA tournament due primarily based off the non conference strength of schedule, was what resulted in a ripple effect, not just in penn state’s world, but in the world of basketball. not even a month later, swiftly a law was enacted to ban charges near the basket. that created confusion in the world of college basketball. it’s a bit out there to suggest that one penn state win created this chain of events. maybe the no charge zone was coming anyway. but that was the tipping point. a game so defensively minded, that only true to the purists of basketball, a rare breed of fan who can appreciate defensive basketball created lines being drawn in the sand. in this case the ends justify the means. all we can do is try to explain what is happening and how it will effect us moving forward.

the no charge zone and any subsequent variations of it. the primary purpose of the zone is to increase scoring, decrease borderline charges, and prevent the possibility of a 38-33 win over a ranked team on their home floor ever again.

how many years under the current rules do you think it will take until a team beats a ranked conference opponent holding them to less than 35 points on their home floor during conference play?

[quote=“bstanf, post:11, topic:1324”]Holy Crap! Champ said something I agree with.

This day shall live in infamy.[/quote]

Recently, i’ve only been commenting on controversial issues as that’s the hot topic these days. but why have you declared this day a day of infamy? What moves you to declare something such as that? When have we disagreed before? Please be specific.

[quote="bstanf, post:11, topic:1324"]Holy Crap! Champ said something I agree with.

Recently, i’ve only been commenting on controversial issues as that’s the hot topic these days. but why have you declared this day a day of infamy? What moves you to declare something such as that? When have we disagreed before? Please be specific.

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?action=profile;u=262;sa=showPosts

[quote="bstanf, post:11, topic:1324"]Holy Crap! Champ said something I agree with.

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?action=profile;u=262;sa=showPosts

That’s not being specific at all. If everyone agreed with everyone else the world would be a boring place.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:9, topic:1324"]Even a few days ago [b]when I mentioned that the tipping point of PSU basketball was during the 2008-09 season[/b]. I suggested that once that season went down, the things that happened, just or injust, it changed things in a way that to a large extent cannot be overcome, I was told to "dream on". Basically, very few members here are willing to be honest about the current state of college basketball, the BigTen, and the media, and expectations.[/quote]

“The tipping point was Penn State not being allowed to compete for the national championship in 2009. They were deemed not worthy due to their non conference strength of schedule.” That’s the quote i’m refering to. Still in State College wanted to know why PSU Basketball is surrounded by this impossible to overcome “Can’t Do Attitude.” He goes on to say “Everything always points out the hurdles and difficulties as reasons for lack of success. There is never any kind of positive vibe.”

UncleLar, he is trying to understand it, so i am trying to explain the reasons to the best of my ability. And, as sensational as my Ottzilla rant was about the 38-33 win over Illinois, if you think about it and get past the comedy of Ottzilla and how bad comparatively this past season, that was truly a tipping point.

People watched that game and said “screw Penn State”. That’s not a real win. Instead of a top 25 win like that on the road, a win that would surely get someone into the tournament if there was any doubt, not withstanding the fact that they beat that same team again while still ranked a few games later, instead of that win drawing tremendous praise, it was actually made fun of by ESPN, as if since it was a low scoring game, it wasn’t worthy of reward. and lo and behold, the fact that PSU was indeed deemed not worthy to compete in the NCAA tournament due primarily based off the non conference strength of schedule, was what resulted in a ripple effect, not just in penn state’s world, but in the world of basketball. not even a month later, swiftly a law was enacted to ban charges near the basket. that created confusion in the world of college basketball. it’s a bit out there to suggest that one penn state win created this chain of events. maybe the no charge zone was coming anyway. but that was the tipping point. a game so defensively minded, that only true to the purists of basketball, a rare breed of fan who can appreciate defensive basketball created lines being drawn in the sand. in this case the ends justify the means. all we can do is try to explain what is happening and how it will effect us moving forward.

the no charge zone and any subsequent variations of it. the primary purpose of the zone is to increase scoring, decrease borderline charges, and prevent the possibility of a 38-33 win over a ranked team on their home floor ever again.

how many years under the current rules do you think it will take until a team beats a ranked conference opponent holding them to less than 35 points on their home floor during conference play?

Your entire post before you came up with the “tipping point” comment was about the downfall of college basketball in general, not about Penn State basketball specifically. Hence, when you wrote “tipping point”, it referred back to college basketball’s tipping point, not to Penn State basketball’s tipping point. That’s why I said it wasn’t what you wrote.

Now what you wrote may not be what you meant, but I, and others, can only comment on what you actually write, not what you intend to write. Frankly, your comments are so far off the wall at times (see your above comments about the 38-33 win for example), I didn’t find it the least bit incongruous to think that you actually did mean college basketball’s tipping point.

I’m afraid that you live in some sort of alternate reality that I’m not quite familiar with, or perhaps you are having a good laugh with a bunch of tongue in cheek comments. Either way, it’s pretty much impossible to carry on a dialogue with you.

Thank you for explaining. But let me be clear, and I may be in the minority on this one, but I believe that both college basketball’s tipping point and Penn State’s tipping point were one in the same. The tipping point to me was that game. The way in which the media viewed it. Thus, in turn, created the need for a change in college basketball. This tipping point created a new standard, subsequently creating a series of different events.

My comments may be off the wall. But ask yourself this. Are my comments as off the wall as some of the changes we’ve seen in sports lately? I was trying to respond to Still in State College’s comment about the mood of PSU Basketball. Regardless of if you think my comments are off the wall or not, perhaps we can agree on the fact that Still in State College’s comment is worth discussing, in detail if necessary.

Well, first of all, don’t be afraid. I don’t live in an alternate reality and i’m clearly not making tongue in cheek comments. tongue-in-cheek comments are snide short comments, far from what i have posted, however far out they appear. UncleLar, a lot of these rule changes and the way in which ESPN treats PSU basketball is not a joke to me. i take it seriously and that’s the only reason i spend time commenting here, in the hope that some members can step up and discuss some of these matters. college sports has changed a lot over the year, but to me it’s changed dramatically over the past few years.

Ding Ding Ding!!! No one could possibly be that far out there as to think that the NCAA is making up their rules to try and hurt PSU hoops.

[quote="UncleLar, post:17, topic:1324"]perhaps you are having a good laugh with a bunch of tongue in cheek comments.[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding!!! No one could possibly be that far out there as to think that the NCAA is making up their rules to try and hurt PSU hoops.

READ what he says…He is not making that point.

He makes GREAT points about 08-09 season. A great win at Illinois was turned into a MOCKING JOKE by ESPN. Also, a potential TURNING POINT season with a NCAA bid was dashed by the ESPN selection team in their quest for the “most entertaining tourament field.”