PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Curley's comments

Per the comment:
“And certainly going into next fall – early signing period – people can see that we’re a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year and the future’s bright here.”

Please vote:

None of the above.

Part of the job of an AD is to sell the program. Shoving his coaches under a bus isn’t part of his job - nor is it very productive.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:2, topic:2228”]None of the above.

Part of the job of an AD is to sell the program. Shoving his coaches under a bus isn’t part of his job - nor is it very productive.[/quote]Or he could just say “Ed’s doing a fine job” and move on. He always has to sprinkle in the extra BS

None of the above because in the quote “And certainly going into next fall – early signing period – people can see that we’re a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year and the future’s bright here.” there is no mention that "we are currently positioned to go to the tourney each and every year? He said ''we’re a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year. Big difference.

So being several years away from that possibility isn’t a “no” as your second choice suggests. In fact you could interpret that TC’s comment could mean that we are still several years away, but much closer than we have been.

And your third choice isn’t even fair. Of course he knows that. And suggesting that we are a program that can go to the tourney each year doesn’t indicate he means starting in 2012.

Sorry, but this is a very poorly executed poll question.

None of the above.

Part of the job of an AD is to sell the program. Shoving his coaches under a bus isn’t part of his job - nor is it very productive.

Or he could just say “Ed’s doing a fine job” and move on. He always has to sprinkle in the extra BS

And if he just says that, then you get a bunch of polls asking if Curley just gave DeChellis the infamous “vote of confidence”. What exactly is the harm in his saying what he did? Nothing. He clearly made sure that he didn’t say anything that could possibly be used against DeChellis in a recruiting battle. Good for him - a smart answer to someone who’s looking to stir up a little controversy.

[quote=“Duff, post:1, topic:2228”]Per the comment:
“And certainly going into next fall – early signing period – people can see that we’re a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year and the future’s bright here.”

Please vote:[/quote]

I guess its nice to “aim high”. Does he know something we don’t about the early signing period?

If I could go back and reacreate the options, then none of the above would be a 4th option. Now, when the quote I read say that"

going into next fall -- early signing period -- people can see that we're a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year
to me that means "NOW". That was the head scratcher for me. That is why "3rd choice." You call it unfair, however,[b] if accurate [/b] why is that unfair? Gee ah, Mr Curley let me get this clear, in spite of loosing Talor, and 3 additional starting seniors you are saying that "going into the fall - early signing period-...we're a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year." That statement spells [b]NOW[/b] to me. The question was admittedly possed to ask if others felt that [b]now we are there to be a program that can go to the tourney each and every year.[/b] Ed's team made the tournament. IMO, given all the eggs he had in his basket this year, that was a must. I am fine and pleased that that happened and that Ed will move forward. Alway glad to see good people move onward. Further, I can not wait for the time when I enter [b]each and every year[/b] with a feeling that we can go to the tournament. I have been looking forward to feeling that way for over 40 years. Right now I am just thinking that the reality is that the majority of this boards posters can agree with Tim that,[b] going into next fall -- early signing period -- people don't see or feel that we're a basketball program that can go to the tournament each and every year. [/b]

Duff, I read “going into next fall…” as relating to the recruiting process, and not TC saying we have tourney potential this year. Basically, I see it as TC saying “hey, come to Penn State. We’re building a program that can be in the tournament year in and year out – if you come here.” But, I can see your point.

[quote="UncleLar, post:2, topic:2228"]None of the above.

Part of the job of an AD is to sell the program. Shoving his coaches under a bus isn’t part of his job - nor is it very productive.[/quote]Or he could just say “Ed’s doing a fine job” and move on. He always has to sprinkle in the extra BS

And if he just says that, then you get a bunch of polls asking if Curley just gave DeChellis the infamous “vote of confidence”. What exactly is the harm in his saying what he did? Nothing. He clearly made sure that he didn’t say anything that could possibly be used against DeChellis in a recruiting battle. Good for him - a smart answer to someone who’s looking to stir up a little controversy.

He sounds clueless and desperate to anyone who follows this basketball program. Just my opinion . I just feel he would be better off keeping it simple or not saying anything at all.