Cornley back in the D-League

He’s expected to play tonight. Go get’em Melle.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3950775

[quote=“Tom, post:1, topic:637”]He’s expected to play tonight. Go get’em Melle.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3950775[/quote]

FWIW - the NBDL has free online video access to all their games. I’m watching the Mad-Ants now. It’s the end of the first quarter and Jamelle has yet to enter the game.

NOTE to tjb: The game is against the Maine Red Claws based in your hometown and the Red Ants are scheduled to play there at the end of Feb.

[quote="Tom, post:1, topic:637"]He's expected to play tonight. Go get'em Melle.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3950775[/quote]

FWIW - the NBDL has free online video access to all their games. I’m watching the Mad-Ants now. It’s the end of the first quarter and Jamelle has yet to enter the game.

NOTE to tjb: The game is against the Maine Red Claws based in your hometown and the Red Ants are scheduled to play there at the end of Feb.

Cornley in the game now.

Cornley’s first professional basket…a 3 point shot

kid’s probably complaining already. :wink:

Pretty good 25-5 run by the Mad Ant to start the second half (albeit without Jamelle) to take a 14 point lead.

Melle ends his debut with 5:01 of PT, all in the first half.

3 points on 1-3 shooting,1 TO

First, I acknowledge that I did not watch yesterday’s game against Purdue. It was the first game this season that I did not watch and the first time in three years that I did not attend a Penn State game in my home state of Indiana.

However, I had a pretty good excuse. I made the drive north from Indianapolis to watch the NBDL’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

Jamelle played just four minutes, making his lone field goal attempt. He didn’t play at all in the second half, his lone action in those two quarters was acknowledging me in my Penn State shirt as I stood behind the Fort Wayne bench.

Here are a few pictures, however, documenting the experience.

This is the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. It was built in 1952 and extensively renovated in 2002. That was an interesting process, because they literally tore off the roof and built more seats on the side. It currently hosts a successful minor league hockey team, the Mad Ants and IPFW (of the Summit League and coached by former Indiana standout Dane Fife) basketball. It also was a mecca of high school basketball up until Indiana went to the class system in 1998.

I don’t know why this made me laugh and I deemed it worthy of a picture, but I just did. It’s the Mad Ants birthday zone. That’s former Ball State player Anthony Kent’s cutout. Unfortunately, no child was enjoying birthday cake in the bowels of the Coliseum last night. I also think it kind of represents the somewhat depressing mood of an NBDL game in general. No disrespect to anyone in the league, especially because I wish Jamelle all the best, but it’s almost the direct opposite of the vibe you get at a minor league baseball game. There, you’re seeing “the future” of MLB franchises. At NBDL games, for the most part, you’re seeing guys seeming to hang on for the most part, looking for a big break or one last chance. I guess that’s the best was I could explain it.

Jamelle is forced to call a timeout in the second quarter of Fort Wayne’s eventual loss. The offense was breaking down on this play, no one was open and Jamelle was on his heels along the sideline. It was also one of the few times in four minutes that Jamelle even got his hands on the ball.

That’s Jamelle during a second half timeout. Next to him is Joe Alexander, who was mentioned in a previous NBDL/Cornley thread and is in Fort Wayne on a rehab assignment from the Milwaukee Bucks.

Good stuff Quaker.

So Cornley acknowledged you in what way? Or were you just joking around about how he didn’t get much action?

[quote=“noobd, post:9, topic:637”]Good stuff Quaker.

So Cornley acknowledged you in what way? Or were you just joking around about how he didn’t get much action?[/quote]

After my second or third beer, I had built up the audacity to yell, “We Are” during a timeout, while pointing to my Penn State basketball shirt during a timeout (like is evident in the pictures, I was about two rows behind the bench). He looked right at me (along with the other 1,112 people in the arena) and smiled and pointed.

[quote="noobd, post:9, topic:637"]Good stuff Quaker.

So Cornley acknowledged you in what way? Or were you just joking around about how he didn’t get much action?[/quote]

After my second or third beer, I had built up the audacity to yell, “We Are” during a timeout, while pointing to my Penn State basketball shirt during a timeout (like is evident in the pictures, I was about two rows behind the bench). He looked right at me (along with the other 1,112 people in the arena) and smiled and pointed.

Hah! Wish I could’ve seen that! :smiley:

Cornley suggests he’ll be seeing the team tomorrow in Columbus. If there’s anyone that can get them motivated to play Wednesday night…

Let’s hope so.

Selfishly I’d love to see Melle brought on as a GA to help with the team. He certainly has the fire and presence to be a good coach.

[quote="Tom, post:12, topic:637"]Cornley suggests he'll be seeing the team tomorrow in Columbus. If there's anyone that can get them motivated to play Wednesday night...[/quote]

Let’s hope so.

Selfishly I’d love to see Melle brought on as a GA to help with the team. He certainly has the fire and presence to be a good coach.

There’s no such thing as a basketball graduate assistant like in football.

[quote="Tom, post:12, topic:637"]Cornley suggests he'll be seeing the team tomorrow in Columbus. If there's anyone that can get them motivated to play Wednesday night...[/quote]

Let’s hope so.

What’s Chester Frazier then at Illinois? Not disagreeing with you but I thought that’s what Coach Weber mentioned Chet is.

Let’s hope so.

I’d love to see Melle on the sidelines after a BS call. ;D

Let’s hope so.

What’s Chester Frazier then at Illinois? Not disagreeing with you but I thought that’s what Coach Weber mentioned Chet is.

He’s a “student assistant” not a “graduate assistant”. A student assistant has to be enrolled in either undergraduate or graduate school and still be within the five year window of his initial enrollment. Frazier never redshirted so he qualifies as a student assistant coach. Melle could have fit that role earlier this year but it’s too late now and by next year he’ll be past the five year window.

Let’s hope so.

He’s a “student assistant” not a “graduate assistant”. A student assistant has to be enrolled in either undergraduate or graduate school and still be within the five year window of his initial enrollment. Frazier never redshirted so he qualifies as a student assistant coach. Melle could have fit that role earlier this year but it’s too late now and by next year he’ll be past the five year window.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Lar - Just wondering how that works with pay and/or scholarships. I can assume that the player doesn’t count against your scholarship limit, however can (and do) they still receive a scholarship from the school (covering tuition and/or room and board)? And does the scholarship take the place of any type of $ compensation, or can they be compensated for their work? I had never heard about that “5th year assistant” type of role before this post. Thanks.

That’s awesome man!