PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Cord cutting

Possible 25 channel Apple TV service might include Fox, which I think is promising for the Big Ten network. HBO is on board with Apple for a service in the coming months.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/8228631/apple-tv-service-coming-june-report

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:4470”]Possible 25 channel Apple TV service might include Fox, which I think is promising for the Big Ten network. HBO is on board with Apple for a service in the coming months.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/8228631/apple-tv-service-coming-june-report[/quote]

The problems I have with the dish service – only one device can play at a time (I’m a household of two) and not all channels offer the ability to watch shows at a later time (and no way to record them either). Once they clear these hurdles, along with adding BTN, I’m on board.

I hope it works for them. Any success of these streamed cable providers only opens opportunities to cut costs with the “brick and mortar” cable providers.

Cord cutting guide

Interesting

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/verizon-offer-custom-pay-tv-monthly-bundles-n343426

Has anyone tried out any of these services yet? The Dish Sling service offers a free trial. I might check that out just to get a feel for it. Then hope they add the two additional sports networks I need.

Anyone have any knowledge of HDTV antennas? I’m about to cut the cord but want to hook up the over the air channels first.

I don’t think that the technology of an HD antenna is much different than the technology of an antenna from the days of standard def. They may try to sell you something fancy in a lot of stores, but it’s basically the same thing.

Hook an antenna up to your TV and see what you get. If you do not have an antenna, try hooking a regular co-axle cable up to your antenna port, and manipulate that cable to what may give you the best reception. That co-axle cable can act as an antenna.

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:4470"]Anyone have any knowledge of HDTV antennas? I'm about to cut the cord but want to hook up the over the air channels first.[/quote]

I don’t think that the technology of an HD antenna is much different than the technology of an antenna from the days of standard def. They may try to sell you something fancy in a lot of stores, but it’s basically the same thing.

Hook an antenna up to your TV and see what you get. If you do not have an antenna, try hooking a regular co-axle cable up to your antenna port, and manipulate that cable to what may give you the best reception. That co-axle cable can act as an antenna.

I don’t have an old antenna. And I don’t want to hook up rabbit ears to every TV in the house. I’m looking for something I can mount on the pole where my dish is currently mounted. That way I’m not adding anything more to the outside or inside than I already have. I need something strong enough to pick up Harrisburg, York, Lebanon and Lancaster from my house in Mount Joy – so doesn’t have to be anything crazy. Just good enough.

First, checkout AntennaWeb.org and see what channels are near you. That way you can figure out what range of an antenna you need (or 2 for bi-direction). You can buy some good but not break your bank antenna’s at Solid Signal or even Amazon. Then if you need more info, head over to the AVS Forum. It’s a great forum where they should be able to help you with more questions you might have.

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:4470"]Anyone have any knowledge of HDTV antennas? I'm about to cut the cord but want to hook up the over the air channels first.[/quote]

I don’t have an old antenna. And I don’t want to hook up rabbit ears to every TV in the house. I’m looking for something I can mount on the pole where my dish is currently mounted. That way I’m not adding anything more to the outside or inside than I already have. I need something strong enough to pick up Harrisburg, York, Lebanon and Lancaster from my house in Mount Joy – so doesn’t have to be anything crazy. Just good enough.

Make sure you get a multi-directional antenna, not a unidirectional one. In Mount Joy, you’ll be receiving signals from different directions so a unidirectional one won’t work well.

Here’s a good article that should answer all your questions.

Streamed cable provider is a oxymoron. The ISP is often the cable provider your trying to get away from. One way or another they’re going to get your money. Just wait for bandwidth fees to increase.

Thanks for the info. I’m looking at a couple of multi directional options. I’ll let you know how it goes.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:4470"]I hope it works for them. Any success of these streamed cable providers only opens opportunities to cut costs with the "brick and mortar" cable providers.[/quote]

Streamed cable provider is a oxymoron. The ISP is often the cable provider your trying to get away from. One way or another they’re going to get your money. Just wait for bandwidth fees to increase.

Bingo! I had limited high speed ISP options so I recently took on Comcast as my internet but kept directv as my TV service Combined I’m pushing $200. /mth. By the time all the dust settles I’m sure that cost won’t change much… The only change will be who I make the check out to.

I can’t find the article now, but one of the Keith Olbermann out at ESPN articles suggested Disney’s cost cutting is at least partially tied to cord cutting fears. I get ESPN on Sling TV, so I assume a good chunk of the $20 per month I pay goes to them. Still interesting news.

I somehow doubt cord cutting is anywhere in the top 5 reasons for letting Olbermann go. ESPN realized he doesn’t bring ratings anymore and only brings controversy (which in the past might have brought ratings).

I didn’t say it did. I said Disney’s cost cutting is partially tied to cord cutting. Just happened to be in the Olbermann article. Cost cutting was related to the decision to let Keith go (ratings suck, they want to get out of the expensive Manhattan studio where he did his show, etc. were the reasons given for not renewing his contract).

slightly related: ESPN and mobile

Several people have asked how the cord cutting is working out so far. Thought I’d provide an update.

Sling TV works great for me. Not a lot of buffering (hardly any) on the TVs on the first floor, closest to the router. A little more upstairs where the signal is not as strong. I need to upgrade my router since Comcast recently increased their speeds for every plan (if you didn’t know, you should reboot your modem now to get the increased speeds. You need to have a docsis 3.0 modem though). My router is n and I will be upgrading to at least an ac2400. That should really help all around. The picture quality has been fantastic – better than I expected and as good or better than I got with DirecTV.

I have been using both Roku sticks and an Amazon Fire Stick. The Roku offers more flexibility and has a bunch of private channels if that’s your thing. It also seems easier to organize your channels. The Fire Stick remote control works a lot better though. The Roku remote controls are so hit or miss that I’ve all but given up and just use the app on my phone.

I have a cheap antenna right now that lets me get all of the over the air networks in my region with the exception of ABC. That makes sense since ABC is the one my research showed would be the toughest to pick up in my area. I’m going to upgrade to an indoor/outdoor antenna with a 60 mile radius and it’s also amplified. Hopefully that works from the attic over my garage so I don’t have to mess around with mounting it to my deck (or worse, on my roof).

Big Ten Network is sort of a problem for now. I have a workaround that is legal but perhaps not morally the best thing – borrowing my mom’s old iPhone with her logged into BTN to Go with her Comcast account. I guess I should pick up an Apple TV so I can airplay it on a bigger screen. I could just have her set up an alias for me on her account (you get 10), but that feels more shady to me. I’ll take other suggestions too. For football season, this won’t matter since I usually watch with friends and I’ll just host for the games I get on the Disney networks (gotta get ABC working).

Root Sports will likely be an ongoing issue. Not sure how to get Penguins games. I still won’t get them on Center Ice due to blackout rules unless I use a VPN outside my area to trick the system. Is that legal? Immoral? I am trying to do this without being too far into any gray areas. Thoughts?

On the money side…I used to pay over $130 per month for DTV. I have reduced that to $20 for now, but will jump to $25 in the fall so I can get the entire ESPN suite on Sling TV (only get ESPN and ESPN2 now, but with $5 more will get ESPNU, ESPNews, SEC network and some other stuff). I have had Netflix for years, so that is a wash. I might add Hulu and/or Amazon Prime down the road. And HBO Now. All of that (and I doubt I’d keep all of that at the same time – more likely to switch around) would put me at about $63 per month include Netflix when I used to pay $140 plus without HBO. And if you play the cancel, accept discount/free offers game regularly, it gets even cheaper.

In summary, I think it’s going well. It’s not as convenient as just turning on the TV and flipping channels. But it’s not that much more difficult – just have to flip between inputs for Roku/Fire and Antenna. And I have to iron out how to pick up the sports channels I’m missing. It’s already well worth it for the money I’m saving. Once I get Root and BTN worked out, I can’t see every switching back.

If I could get BTN and my wife could get her channels that have all the crazy medical or human interest shows, I’d look into cutting the cord.