Considering that final performance, should PSU make the coaching change?

That was embarrassing and the kind of game that shows something needs to change. It is not like they lost to a Top 10 Ohio State team. They got embarrassed by a long shot bubble team in Minnesota. They played with no emotion, and got beat on defense time and time again and Ed makes no changes. They were lucky to get 20 points in the first half.

Curley should make a change and let a new coach come in and use up those last three schollies.

It’s time.

I think it is time too, but I still don’t think a change will be made.

I don’t think you fire ED based on this one single game. You can give your opinion if you think his body of work is worthy of finding another head coach, but this one game, no way. I’m not sure why this team played so bad tonight, but maybe the team knows something that we dont regarding kids returning, etc…outside of that I don’t know why they came up limp tonight.

Exactly. Why would you base your evaluation off one game? If you want to bash Ed for his entire tenure here, you have plenty of ammo in that gun… to say that because of one game it’s all of a sudden sign sealed and delivered is silly. You either wanted him gone already or you didn’t.

MRM…I am looking at Ed’s body of work, and it is really bad. But in almost every coaching change, there is that one game which is the tipping point. Tonight was that game. This is a team that showed a little something at the end of the year and tonight’s game was back to same old, same old. Tonight’s game was everything wrong with this program. It was just very bad fundamental BBall and a complete lack of coaching moves in game, combined with no emotion whatsoever. THose are all things that coaches are responsible for, mainly being effort, fundamentals, and in game adjustments. Tonight’s game showed PSU lacks in all three.

Very poor performance tonight. Minnesota played a solid game. Defensively, they played strong tight defense. PSU played poor. Battle looked hurt and kept playing. Battle was forcing shots.

Not that it mattered given the final score, but they gave Minnesota a 3 pointer in the first half when the dude’s foot was clearly on the line. And Babb’s first 3 of the game hit the top of the backboard, then bounced in. Not that it was a bad call or anything, as that’s the rule, but that kinda made me chuckle that that went in.

For the first time all season, PSU did not play like a BigTen team this game. They played disorganized and without strategy. Night and day from the MSU game a week ago.

As bad as they played, you can’t make a coaching change based on one game. The team didn’t quit during the final 6 regular season games, playing the way they did last season. But they seemed to quit tonight once they fell behind. Coach should return to coach Battle and co in their senior year. Coach needs to prepare this team to make a tournament run again next year and just forget about this game.

Answer is YES. If a coach is given a week to prepare and comes out with that game plan, he isn’t suited for big time basketball. I think the Iowa coach would have had a better plan. Now, for part 2-NO he won’t be replaced. He will be back next year, we will have a decent season-NIT type season-then the following year we can REBUILD AGAIN. Curley will be pleased. So mark your calendars for about a year from now when posters will start all over agin with:
WE ARE ONLY 4 GAMES AWAY FROM THE NCAA TOURNEY-JUST WIN THE B10

WE ARE ONE OF THE MOST FEARED TEAMS HEADING INTO THE B10 TOURNEY

WE MATCH UP VERY WELL AND CAN PLAY WITH ANYBODY

I missed the game and knew the outcome after seeing this thread. I’ve always been torn in regards to Ed but this season was the final straw. The thing is at any other program there would have been at least one shake-up in the assistant coaching by now. Admittedly I was apologist early on but we have the talent it’s the system and administration that’s the problem. In an ideal world we’d can the assistant AD who’s in charge of the bball program, fire Ed and enlist outside help to determine what we need to build our program.

Build is a key word since we’ve never been very relevant to begin with. We need a fresh start. :frowning:

[quote=“Cletus11, post:1, topic:954”]That was embarrassing and the kind of game that shows something needs to change. It is not like they lost to a Top 10 Ohio State team. They got embarrassed by a long shot bubble team in Minnesota. They played with no emotion, and got beat on defense time and time again and Ed makes no changes. They were lucky to get 20 points in the first half.

Curley should make a change and let a new coach come in and use up those last three schollies.[/quote]

A 21 point loss in round 1 of the BTT to end a 3-16 Big Ten campaign? I’m looking for some silver lining in this, but they scored 55 points today against a team that is mediocre. Ok -I’d like to hear a reason to bring Ed back next year but I don’t think any reason exists (at least not a good one)

“Coach” had an entire offseason and season to get this team ready and failed miserably. Why should he get another year?

Tonight’s game showed PSU lacked fundamental BBall skills, horrible in game adjustments, and played with no emotion. Those are all 100% on the coach and staff.

Tonight’s game to me shows that those last 5 games of the year that PSU played were an anomaly, not an improvement. That is why I think he needs to go.

The announcers also said something tonight which showed me that Ed is not ready for this level. They talked about how Battle was yelling at his teammates in the huddle to get a body on one of the Minny players. That is NOT Battle’s job, that is Ed’s job to get on the team and a particular player if he is not playing like he should.

As nice and great of a guy Ed is, he is not a legit Div 1A BCS level BBall coach and it is time for Curley to just admit that and move on.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:7, topic:954”]Very poor performance tonight. Minnesota played a solid game. Defensively, they played strong tight defense. PSU played poor. Battle looked hurt and kept playing. Battle was forcing shots.

Not that it mattered given the final score, but they gave Minnesota a 3 pointer in the first half when the dude’s foot was clearly on the line. And Babb’s first 3 of the game hit the top of the backboard, then bounced in. Not that it was a bad call or anything, as that’s the rule, but that kinda made me chuckle that that went in.

For the first time all season, PSU did not play like a BigTen team this game. They played disorganized and without strategy. Night and day from the MSU game a week ago.

As bad as they played, you can’t make a coaching change based on one game. The team didn’t quit during the final 6 regular season games, playing the way they did last season. But they seemed to quit tonight once they fell behind. Coach should return to coach Battle and co in their senior year. Coach needs to prepare this team to make a tournament run again next year and just forget about this game.[/quote]
I missed the game but saw postgame. Talor was hurt from what Dakich said. But I was wondering if the possible defection/graduation affected the team a little tonight.

You never evaluate a coach on one game unless he/she punches someone. You evaluate seasons and better, the direction of the program once a coach has had a fair amount of time to put his/her stamp on that program.

Even at Penn State, with all its historic basketball negatives, seven years is enough time to evaluate the men’s BB coach. The W-L numbers are a compelling indictment. DeChellis is a class act, he’s worked extremely hard, I think he’s a better coach than the numbers indicate. But he’s had a fair chance to put this program on consistent winning foundation, and he hasn’t made it happen. I’ve urged patience in the past, but now I’m for a coaching change. However, I think it’s a little less than 50 / 50 that Curley will pull the trigger on this staff.

I think DeChellis would be successful heading a lot of mid-major programs. But Penn State is a high-major program that needs a great BB coach, and Ed’s not quite that. A Bill Self-type “big name” is not coming to Penn State, and while there’s a number of exciting up-and-comers who might be able to turn this ship around, and as early as next year, there’s no guarantee that the next coach will produce better results. But it’s time to take that chance.

We should know by WED or THU next week whether DeChellis is returning.

Your tipping point view is merely that, your view. To single out tonights game is not how I view why ED should or should not go. I am not arguing your opinions on ED, its been beaten to death on this site. Penn State for the majority of the season has been in virtually every game, minus a few games. To only single out this one game is just not my view. I respect your view but simply disagree in putting microscope on this one game.

I personally do not care if a change is made at coach, as I think the team will actually be solid next year. If ED is let go, I’m curious what the list of candidates will be. How would the administration compile a solid list of candidates that would be interested in coaching at Penn State? Who could they find that would have mutual feelings to PSU, basically meaning someone outside the PSU coaching fraternity?

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:7, topic:954"]Very poor performance tonight. Minnesota played a solid game. Defensively, they played strong tight defense. PSU played poor. Battle looked hurt and kept playing. Battle was forcing shots.

As bad as they played, you can’t make a coaching change based on one game. The team didn’t quit during the final 6 regular season games, playing the way they did last season. But they seemed to quit tonight once they fell behind. Coach should return to coach Battle and co in their senior year. Coach needs to prepare this team to make a tournament run again next year and just forget about this game.[/quote]
I missed the game but saw postgame. Talor was hurt from what Dakich said. But I was wondering if the possible defection/graduation affected the team a little tonight.

No sorry we are all out of excuses, but we should be receiving a fresh shipment about Oct 15th, 2010-horrible game plan, terrible coaching, poor play, and NO emotion.

First of all, the performance tonight by PSU was poor. But lets give credit where credit is due. Minnesota shot 58% from the field and was 9-19 from 3 point range. It reminded me a lot of the loss to Purdue in the BTT last year where they just was raining 3’s. Minnesota was raining 3’s and played a really good game. There’s no silver lining in a game like this, but to say Minnesota is mediocre? Minnesota had the exact same conference record last year, and they made the tournament last year. If they beat MSU tomorrow they could make the NCAA’s. Minnesota is not a mediocre team. If you are 9-9 in the BigTen, you are clearly an above average team in college basketball.

Because it’s the right thing to do. PSU has had some success under coach. Not as much as we would like, not as much as some have expected, but PSU still has been competitive this season. It would be a mistake to let coach go with a number of seniors coming back next year. These guys believe in coach and believe in the team. I don’t think starting “fresh” next year with the amount of seniors coming back would be smart. But given the season we’ve had, there are certainly valid arguments for or against.

I am frustrated and disappointed. I do agree that it is probably time for change but what Curley thinks a good up and coming coach and what us fans thing could be on totally different pages.

I missed the second half, travelling. DJ and Jones had 10 points apiece. Sasa, playing 13 minutes, led in rebounds with 5.

In the 1st half, I noticed we went inside early, and I think tied the score at 9. Jones once, DJ once, I forget the other, but I think there was one more. Minny must’ve started throwing their muscle around, and we stopped doing it. What then? IMO, the offense becomes, give Talor the ball, set a bunch of high screens, and if that doesn’t work, run to the arc and wait for Talor to penetrate and kick it out to any of several players. You know how much energy this must take? To continually go into the lane, like he’s running the gauntlet, in order to kick it out to guys who can’t or won’t play in the paint? You know how it’s obvious this is happening? Talor never, ever gets a kickout to him. Ever. Now, if DJ, Brooks, Jones would play with their backs to the hoop, you’d see it. But they won’t. Talor forced shots? I guess. With everybody standing around waiting for him to set them up, who wouldn’t force? I wouldn’t give the ball to guys who only stood at the arc waiting for the ball.

On one of Minny’s 1st possessions of the game, the ball was thrown into the paint from one corner, then thrown to the opposite corner for a drained 3. That only happens on PSU if Talor drives to the paint at the baseline. It’s never thrown inside to a big, cause they’re not there. IMO, no cojones. As expected, Brooks was close to invisible. Out of position, fouling stupidly, taking himself out of the game. Consistent? Puhlease.

Ed gone? Who knows? Taran will at least take some pressure off Talor by driving as well. Hope we don’t have to hear about seniors and what “potential” they have, if they’d only do it. Time’s up on that, IMO.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:18, topic:954”]I missed the second half, travelling. DJ and Jones had 10 points apiece. Sasa, playing 13 minutes, led in rebounds with 5.

In the 1st half, I noticed we went inside early, and I think tied the score at 9. Jones once, DJ once, I forget the other, but I think there was one more. Minny must’ve started throwing their muscle around, and we stopped doing it. What then? IMO, the offense becomes, give Talor the ball, set a bunch of high screens, and if that doesn’t work, run to the arc and wait for Talor to penetrate and kick it out to any of several players. You know how much energy this must take? To continually go into the lane, like he’s running the gauntlet, in order to kick it out to guys who can’t or won’t play in the paint? You know how it’s obvious this is happening? Talor never, ever gets a kickout to him. Ever. Now, if DJ, Brooks, Jones would play with their backs to the hoop, you’d see it. But they won’t. Talor forced shots? I guess. With everybody standing around waiting for him to set them up, who wouldn’t force? I wouldn’t give the ball to guys who only stood at the arc waiting for the ball.

On one of Minny’s 1st possessions of the game, the ball was thrown into the paint from one corner, then thrown to the opposite corner for a drained 3. That only happens on PSU if Talor drives to the paint at the baseline. It’s never thrown inside to a big, cause they’re not there. IMO, no cojones. As expected, Brooks was close to invisible. Out of position, fouling stupidly, taking himself out of the game. Consistent? Puhlease.

Ed gone? Who knows? Taran will at least take some pressure off Talor by driving as well. Hope we don’t have to hear about seniors and what “potential” they have, if they’d only do it. Time’s up on that, IMO.[/quote]
I am almost as astounded at how you use your unequivocal support for Battle to rationalize his play (and denigrate nearly everyone elses), as I am at the people who continue to throw their support behind DeChellis to stay as head coach.

My friend made an interesting point tonight. He said he read that the coaches were traveling around looking to recruit one or 2 guys for NEXT year. He was thinking that it might have sent a message to the team that the coaching staff was looking towards next year and had given up on this season already. I didn’t think much of it until tonight’s performance and wonder if in any way that had something to do with it. You would think they shouldn’t be bothered by it because coaches leave throughout the year to recruit, but you never know. There has to be some explanation.