Congrats to Tom Hovasse

It’s in the hot news box above but I thought I’d cull this out.

From PSUStretch (Brian Siegrist’s) Twitter:

“Hovasse in town before he heads to Japan where he will coach a women’s professional team with strong Japanese national team ties”.

As strange as this may initially sound, it makes a lot of sense. Hovasse played in Japan for several years, he worked there for Toyota in the off season, is married to a Japanese woman, and speaks fairly fluent Japanese. I think the unstated, but hinted at, message here is that Hovasse will be headed back to Japan to prepare the Japanese national team for an Olympic run.

What Tom will be giving up though is a very very lucrative job with a mobile/wireless telecommunications technology company in San Diego. I can only guess that the Japanese must be paying him fairly well.

I guess Tom’s current employment is public knowledge?

As would be his compensation.

Some foreign pro-teams & leagues have sponsorship deals that sometimes seem unorthodox to us here in the states. Is Single Touch, or any of it’s corporate branches involved with the team that he is coaching?

No. He resigned from Single Touch but I wouldn’t be surprised to discover that he’s back on Toyota’s payroll.

Toyota Antelopes perhaps? maybe teh Sunshine Rabbits.

Although it looks as if both Japanese Women’s leagues have already started, one in September, one in October

[quote=“manatree, post:6, topic:211”]Toyota Antelopes perhaps? maybe teh Sunshine Rabbits.

Although it looks as if both Japanese Women’s leagues have already started, one in September, one in October[/quote]

What I had heard was that he was going to be coaching the Japanese national team. I hadn’t heard anything about a pro league team. However, Siegrist could be right and I wrong since I really didn’t hear any specifics.