PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Confessions of an Agent

Did someone else already post this and I just missed it?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html

I fear it’s the “tip of the iceberg.”

I haven’t read it but listen to the interviews the ex-agent has done. It is definitely the tip of the iceberg for sure. I like that he says that the NFLPA has don’t enough in helping stop “Rogue” agents. I would think the basketball side is so much dirtier with the AAU being a breeding ground for “runners”.

Not to mention agents get a higher cut of NBA players’ salaries.

And another point that just came to me – players can jump to the NBA after just one season.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:1398"]I haven't read it but listen to the interviews the ex-agent has done. It is definitely the tip of the iceberg for sure. I like that he says that the NFLPA has don't enough in helping stop "Rogue" agents. I would think the basketball side is so much dirtier with the AAU being a breeding ground for "runners".[/quote]

And another point that just came to me – players can jump to the NBA after just one season.

…which is crazy, because the NBA has a rookie scale, the agents don’t have much say in it.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:1398"]I haven't read it but listen to the interviews the ex-agent has done. It is definitely the tip of the iceberg for sure. I like that he says that the NFLPA has don't enough in helping stop "Rogue" agents. I would think the basketball side is so much dirtier with the AAU being a breeding ground for "runners".[/quote]

…which is crazy, because the NBA has a rookie scale, the agents don’t have much say in it.

No, but the agents can help with where a player gets drafted. And agents certainly can help with endorsements. Some players don’t use agents for their contracts – a max deal is a max deal and a lawyer is a lot cheaper.

Yes, it’s just the tip of the iceberg…

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5704064