PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Come on People

Let’s celebrate the board’s repair. We need some topics to discuss.
How about the JoePa interviews?
Could Brett Farve be gone for GOOD??..God, I hope.
BigTen12 news??..looks like they will be keeping the name >:(

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1280”]Let’s celebrate the board’s repair. We need some topics to discuss.
BigTen12 news??..looks like they will be keeping the name >:( [/quote]

If they were going to change the name, they should probably wait until the rest of the expansion is finished. I’m still fairly confident that this isn’t finished.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1280"]Let's celebrate the board's repair. We need some topics to discuss. How about the JoePa interviews? Could Brett Farve be gone for GOOD??.................God, I hope. BigTen12 news??.................[b]looks like they will be keeping the name[/b] >:([/quote]

If they were going to change the name, they should probably wait until the rest of the expansion is finished. I’m still fairly confident that this isn’t finished.

What’s the big deal about the name anyway? ::slight_smile:

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1280”]Let’s celebrate the board’s repair. We need some topics to discuss.
BigTen12 news??..looks like they will be keeping the name >:( [/quote]

Did not hear the full interview, however, our new friends in Lincoln, NE had some fun in all the noises that Joe makes during press conferences…obviously Nebraska is now paying attention to the BigTen and this was probably the first news conference they’ve heard Paterno. Coach’s voice sounded weak.

I can direct you to the podcast of the Lincoln, NE EPSN radio bit the guys did on Paterno for anyone interested…

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1280"]Let's celebrate the board's repair. We need some topics to discuss. How about the JoePa interviews? Could Brett Farve be gone for GOOD??.................God, I hope. BigTen12 news??.................[b]looks like they will be keeping the name[/b] >:([/quote]

May not be a BIG deal BUT I think it is a DEAL… It goes to… “looking foolish”…i.e. (can’t count) …or Living in the Past…too stubborn,foolish or senile to change.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1280"]Let's celebrate the board's repair. We need some topics to discuss. [b]How about the JoePa interviews?[/b] Could Brett Farve be gone for GOOD??.................God, I hope. BigTen12 news??.................looks like they will be keeping the name >:([/quote]

Did not hear the full interview, however, our new friends in Lincoln, NE had some fun in all the noises that Joe makes during press conferences…obviously Nebraska is now paying attention to the BigTen and this was probably the first news conference they’ve heard Paterno. Coach’s voice sounded weak.

I can direct you to the podcast of the Lincoln, NE EPSN radio bit the guys did on Paterno for anyone interested…

I just saw the FOS 2nd media interview…Shameful!! No one asked a football question!

JoePa sounded terrible at the Big Ten media day. I really think this could be his last season. He’s a tough old guy though.

I like the name “Big Ten” even if there are twelve teams (or more). I think that there’s too much brand equity built up to change the name, especially now that there’s a TV network with the same name.

[quote=“WestCoastBlues, post:7, topic:1280”]JoePa sounded terrible at the Big Ten media day. I really think this could be his last season. He’s a tough old guy though.

I like the name “Big Ten” even if there are twelve teams (or more). I think that there’s too much brand equity built up to change the name, especially now that there’s a TV network with the same name.[/quote]

And the Big 12 controls the rights to all the other Big number names.

May not be a BIG deal BUT I think it is a DEAL… It goes to… “looking foolish”…i.e. (can’t count) …or Living in the Past…too stubborn,foolish or senile to change.

I’ve posted this before on another thread, if we expand further and pick up another state in the process then we’ll have 10 states making the name relevant again. I wouldn’t mind getting the NYC or DC television market and having Notre Dame finally concede that joining the conference is in their best interest.

Now if we stop expansion at 12 schools and have no logical tied to the Big Ten moniker then it should go, even with the expenses involved.

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:1280"]Let's celebrate the board's repair. We need some topics to discuss. [b]How about the JoePa interviews?[/b] Could Brett Farve be gone for GOOD??.................God, I hope. BigTen12 news??.................looks like they will be keeping the name >:([/quote]

I just saw the FOS 2nd media interview…Shameful!! No one asked a football question!

You saw a 10 minute excerpt of a two hours roundtable with Paterno. The only reason the 10 minutes were posted were to address the health issues and show that Paterno didn’t come across as bad as he seem to the day before. There were plenty of football questions during the rest of the roundtable.

Hmm, how about the Miami Heat next season? With Bosh, D-Wade, and King James they should be a force to be reckoned with. I think that I may book tickets to their early season showdown at Atlanta ahead of time (Oct 28, I think).

Or, how about Shaq going to Boston? What will be his new nickname? The “Shaqrok”?

There is a lot of basketball news to discuss right now.

[quote=“State4Life, post:11, topic:1280”]Hmm, how about the Miami Heat next season? With Bosh, D-Wade, and King James they should be a force to be reckoned with. I think that I may book tickets to their early season showdown at Atlanta ahead of time (Oct 28, I think).

Or, how about Shaq going to Boston? What will be his new nickname? The “Shaqrok”?

There is a lot of basketball news to discuss right now.[/quote]

Well, O’Neal is an Irish name after all.

MacShille O’Neal?

Unless you have a business background… then it goes to… “smart move”… “recognizing the worth of a brand” … “values the long term”.

Unless you have a business background… then it goes to… “smart move”… “recognizing the worth of a brand” … “values the long term”.

In 1953, then President Milton Eisenhower changed the name of a prestigious school which was very well known for it’s engineering and agriculture programs from The Pennsylvania State College to its current name of The Pennsylvania State University.

All that “brand equity”, just thrown away !!! What an IDIOT !!! Why, oh why, didn’t he “value the long term” !!! >:( :-*

In 1953, then President Milton Eisenhower changed the name of a prestigious school which was very well known for it’s engineering and agriculture programs from The Pennsylvania State College to its current name of The Pennsylvania State University.

All that “brand equity”, just thrown away !!! What an IDIOT !!! Why, oh why, didn’t he “value the long term” !!! >:( :-*

And Coke created New Coke.

I can come up with just as many examples as you can, if you really want to play this silly game.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:15, topic:1280”]In 1953, then President Milton Eisenhower changed the name of a prestigious school which was very well known for it’s engineering and agriculture programs from The Pennsylvania State College to its current name of The Pennsylvania State University.

All that “brand equity”, just thrown away !!! What an IDIOT !!! Why, oh why, didn’t he “value the long term” !!! >:( :-*[/quote]

Poor analogy, Skeeza. Not much of a change from “College” to “University.” Now, had you said Pennsylvania State College to Keytone University, you’d have had something.

Sometimes a name change is a good idea, sometimes it is not. Esso to EXXON, Philip Morris to Altria, Anderson Consulting to Accenture, and, of course, Lar’s “New Coke” citation. I’m sure keeping “Big Ten” isn’t Delany’s decision alone, I’m betting they’d paid some major dollars to a consulting company who came back with the recommendation not to change. As a Penn Stater, I’m not particularly insulted by “Big Ten,” and in any case, I’m sure they’re not going to consider a name change until the issue of further expansion has been decided.

I don’t know what they should name it. Seems like they should stay away from numbers due to expansion. But then, for the same reason, it might behoove them to stay away from geography (i.e. the SEC or the Big East). What would they call themselves anyway? The “mostly Midwest but hoping to expand East Conference”? MMBHTEEC I just hope they don’t hire some branding company that comes up with a made up pharmaceutical sounding name: “Xcellencia”.

And Coke created New Coke.

I can come up with just as many examples as you can, if you really want to play this silly game.

Bad example, Lar. New Coke was a whole new formula. …and from that, came Coke Classic, which still lives on.

I come up with an example of the SCHOOL ITSELF changing it’s name. You come up with a soft drink. One is a bit more relevant than the other.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:19, topic:1280”]Bad example, Lar. New Coke was a whole new formula. …and from that, came Coke Classic, which still lives on.

I come up with an example of the SCHOOL ITSELF changing it’s name. You come up with a soft drink. One is a bit more relevant than the other.[/quote]

Your comparison doesn’t work either. The reason Eisenhower pushed for the change from Penn State College to Penn State University was because at the time, the name ‘College’ had the stigma/connotation of a lesser academic institution that focused on only a few areas of study. At the time, Penn State had moved beyond being just an Ag & Engin school. When State College wouldn’t change it’s name, he had big brother pull some strings to have University Park created as a new postal designation. The College vs. University nomenclature is a bit different now. Most 4 year schools now go by University and your JuCos go by College.

Does the name BigTen carry any stigma that it is a lesser athletic conference than other conferences? If the Big Ten were the name of a math conference, your PSC vs PSU argument would make more sense.

Right now, short of adding Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland or Vandy, the only change I would make is to only take ten teams to the conf. basketball tourney.