Collegian stories on Frazier, Highberger

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2009/11/18/frazier_matures_in_rmu_victory.aspx

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2009/11/18/senior_happy_to_be_back.aspx

Cappy always beats me to the punch and provides a great service posting news links (and please don’t stop!!!), because most of our attention is focused on the message posts when we arrive at this site.

But just so everyone knows, the news ticker above is a feed, sorted from most recent to oldest, of:

[ul][li]Items posted to the PennStateHoops.com front page[/li]
[li]News items found by a Google news search[/li]
[li]Tweets by Brian Siegrist and Lou Preston (although Coach’s Twitter account has been shut down because he got a virus in a phishing scam) and a couple other feeds that I forget(!)[/li]
[li]Changes to the UncleLar™ Recruiting Matrix[/li][/ul]

More Big Ten expansion Talk

Great article on Highberger and I’m happy we have him back. His knack for dropping threes at just the right time will be invaluable later in the season.

I guess he’s not sticking around and petitioning for a medical hardship since they talked as if he’s leaving after this year.

[quote=“byake, post:3, topic:272”]Great article on Highberger and I’m happy we have him back. His knack for dropping threes at just the right time will be invaluable latter in the season.

I guess he’s not sticking around and petitioning for a medical hardship since they talked as if he’s leaving after this year.[/quote]

If he isn’t on scholarship and he is on track to graduate this year, it probably doesn’t make sense for him to stick around for another year.

[quote=“byake, post:3, topic:272”]Great article on Highberger and I’m happy we have him back. His knack for dropping threes at just the right time will be invaluable latter in the season.

I guess he’s not sticking around and petitioning for a medical hardship since they talked as if he’s leaving after this year.[/quote]

The PSU roster on the link below actually shows him as a redshirt junior.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/psu-m-baskbl-mtt.html

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:272"]Great article on Highberger and I'm happy we have him back. His knack for dropping threes at just the right time will be invaluable latter in the season.

If he isn’t on scholarship and he is on track to graduate this year, it probably doesn’t make sense for him to stick around for another year.

Unless you want to be part of Talor, Drew, DJ, and Jeff’s senior season NCAA tourney run :slight_smile:

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:272"]Great article on Highberger and I'm happy we have him back. His knack for dropping threes at just the right time will be invaluable latter in the season.

Unless you want to be part of Talor, Drew, DJ, and Jeff’s senior season NCAA tourney run :slight_smile:

I hear PSU has some good graduate degree programs… :wink:

He doesn’t have to petition for anything. He redshirted as a freshman and has another year of eligibility even without a medical hardship.

Heck if he wanted to he could petition for a sixth year (and he’d get it) and actually play for two more years.

I hear PSU has some good graduate degree programs… :wink:

When he first arrived as a freshman, DeChellis was quoted as saying that Highberger was in a five year program so it made sense to redshirt him anyway. I wonder if he’s graduating early, or if he’s changed majors.

Highberger’s father is a dentist and I’ve heard that Adam plans on going to dental school - which we don’t have.

Despite the fact that he looks a lot like Danny Morrissey on the court in both size, position on the court, and…hmm, I know I’m missing something…what could it be…oh yeah, skin color ::slight_smile: Adam is very much looking like he could be this year’s DMo, both on and off the court. Smart, glue guy that can hit dagger three’s and be a positive role model for his younger teammates.

I like the fact that ED is playing him some. Hope he’ll find a little more time for him, to give Battle a little extra breather over the course of each game.

Above all, I’m glad to see that he is over his injuries and is able to enjoy his “senior” year on the court.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:272”]…that can hit dagger three’s and be a positive role model for his younger teammates.

I like the fact that ED is playing him some. [/quote]

Who knows, but it does look like ED is hoping to use him to make some shots when he is not getting it from our other shooters. That’s a little more than the typical walk-on expectation, and if he is effective it could be a big help.

It surely helped against Penn. If two out of the Babb, Battle and Frazier three are making shots the way they did against RMU, then he is a bonus. But if two out of the three of them are cold, he could really spread the defenses back out for us the way he shoots.

Exactly what I saw in him from Day 1. What I love is his confidence. As someone who is a walk on and a backup, he’s not afraid to pull the trigger and has a nice quick release.

He was contemplating not coming back for the fifth year, but, as of late summer, changed his mind and decided he will be back for what looks like the best team PSU will field since God was a boy. This was before the good play during meaningful minutes so far this season. We’ll see next year, won’t we.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:272"]Despite the fact that he looks a lot like Danny Morrissey on the court in both size, position on the court, and...hmm, I know I'm missing something...what could it be...oh yeah, skin color ::) Adam is very much looking like he could be this year's DMo, both on and off the court. Smart, glue guy that can hit dagger three's and be a positive role model for his younger teammates.[/quote]

Exactly what I saw in him from Day 1. What I love is his confidence. As someone who is a walk on and a backup, he’s not afraid to pull the trigger and has a nice quick release.

I equate that to him being an All-State QB in high school. Your mind is either wired for the position or it’s not. His most certainly is and it translates to what you describe above on the hoop court.

Right now is the time for Adam to get minutes, because with the return on Edwards due shortly, and the addition of Buie next year, it will be crowded at the two-guard.

[quote="MillionaireMagic, post:13, topic:272"]He was contemplating not coming back for the fifth year, but, as of late summer, changed his mind and decided he will be back for what looks like the best team PSU will field since God was a boy. This was before the good play during meaningful minutes so far this season. We'll see next year, won't we.[/quote]

Right now is the time for Adam to get minutes, because with the return on Edwards due shortly, and the addition of Buie next year, it will be crowded at the two-guard.

I know Edwards is a wing player, but I see him more as a three, or even a four if Penn State wants to go small. I think that we’ll be seeing more and more of Battle and Frazier on the court at the same time, shifting Babb to the three, and he’s physical enough for that. I think Edwards would be primarily taking Woodyard’s minutes, and that you would rarely, if ever, see him, Battle, and three forwards on the floor. I think you’ll have, just about always, one of the Andrews, and either one or two between Jackson, Brooks, and Sasa. I wouldn’t think Highberger’s minutes are the ones you get from Edwards, as they’re mainly when the team has wanted a spark from outside.