PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

CollegeHoopsNet.com Top 144 Preview

I think I say this every year…these previews aren’t the best but at least they provide something to read. I’ll list our opponents as they appear…

#74 - Duquesne Dukes
#78 - Penn State Nittany Lions
#83 - Fairfield Stags
#100 - Indiana Hooisers (the first Big10 team listed, ranked as #9 Big 10 team…I’m assuming Iowa and UM didn’t make the cut)

Or Iowa and PSU

He’s listing our opponents. I think Iowa, UM and PSU are not going to make the cut. But we’ll prove everyone wrong once the season starts.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1383"]Or Iowa and PSU[/quote]

He’s listing our opponents. I think Iowa, UM and PSU are not going to make the cut. But we’ll prove everyone wrong once the season starts.

Well, if Indiana is #9 and made the cut, then only #10 and #11 will not make the cut (2 teams, assuming they do not have #9 and not #8). The B10 is still only 11 teams this season.

PSUStretch tweeted:

Vitale ranks other Lion b-ball opponents: #18 ILL, #24 V-Tech, #27 WISC, #33 MINN, #38 Maryland

@DickieV has Michigan State, Purdue and Ohio State #2, #3 & #4 in his preseason Top 40. http://es.pn/9qLMrv

I think the Minnesota and Maryland rankings are a bit high, but what do I know?

Last year we were #54 in this poll. Checking the old thread, I actually predicted that one, most likely because it was Ottzilla’s number. I’ll say PSU lands at #72 based Talor Battle’s height in inches :slight_smile:

Last year’s thread:
http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?topic=36.0

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:1383”]Last year we were #54 in this poll. Checking the old thread, I actually predicted that one, most likely because it was Ottzilla’s number. I’ll say PSU lands at #72 based Talor Battle’s height in inches :slight_smile:

Last year’s thread:
http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?topic=36.0[/quote]

Glad you brought that up NittanyIllini. Since our woes of last season haven’t worn off yet we really haven’t seen any prediction threads.

I think we’ll make the list and my guess would be 82.

Close guess NittanyIllini.

#72http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/78-penn-state-2010-11-basketball-preview-168751

Penn State had much higher expectations than an 11-20 record during the 2009-2010 campaign. The good news is that after losing their first 12 conference games, the Nittany Lions managed to muster three victories in February. And even their losses at the end of the season included two point defeats to Minnesota and Michigan State and a four point loss to Purdue. With four starters returning, this group should win more than three conference games.

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1383”]Close guess NittanyIllini.

#72http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/78-penn-state-2010-11-basketball-preview-168751

Too bad Battle isn’t 6’6" ;D

Honestly, I thought I was a little high, so that seems about right.

I saw its a fair to slightly optimistic ranking. To be ranked ahead of Cincy and Notre Dame (according to CHN) coming off of last year’s performance, one can’t complain. Cincy and ND are thought to be 8-12 in the BE, which is usually bubble out to NIT teams.

Guys, note the 1 comment on the CHN article ;D

That was arguably the worst preview I’ve ever read for a PSU team.

I don’t think it’s as horrible as you say it is LP. When one person is doing all 144 previews, they have to keep it as an overview since they don’t have all the insight that the actual fan base or PennStateHoops poster has on this or any one particular team, especially the 78th best team.

I can write a college football column for Sports Illustrated and still not be the best source for Penn State football. MilesKaufman or any of the other idiots over at the FOS board will have every jock size of every player including the recruits, but I will only get what I get by talking to the coaches, the local media and several players. Yet I’d like to see those jabloneys from FOS or any other board write about Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State, etc, etc in addition to Penn State. They are “know-it-alls” who think they know-it-all.

And that’s sort of what I like about this board. We have knowledgeable folks who follow the program religiously, yet for the most part, keep it real.

I think the columnists report is a fair, if not totally accurate, assessment of where the team is at going into this season.

One thing I would have mentioned is the schedule, which is going to be brutal, especially early in the Big Ten season. If history repeats itself, which I hope it does not, once the ball starts rolling downhill for this team, we could be staring at a four, five, six or even seven game hole in conference before we can start to breathe again. At Indy, at Michigan, then three straight at home against the probable top three teams in the league (two of those while the students are out) followed by two more toughies on the road could add up to disaster. Win three of those, and things might be OK going forward.

[quote="LPcreation, post:11, topic:1383"]That was arguably the worst preview I've ever read for a PSU team.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s as horrible as you say it is LP. When one person is doing all 144 previews, they have to keep it as an overview since they don’t have all the insight that the actual fan base or PennStateHoops poster has on this or any one particular team, especially the 78th best team.

Fair enough.

I’m not looking for any real insight though. Just the fact that last year was Babb’s senior campaign, and Jackson and Brooks are dynamic scorers and Woodyard has a very poor shot (and frazier a good shot) is more insight than I can stand.

At least they spelled Talor’s name correct!

[quote="LPcreation, post:11, topic:1383"]That was arguably the worst preview I've ever read for a PSU team.[/quote]

Fair enough.

I’m not looking for any real insight though. Just the fact that last year was Babb’s senior campaign, and Jackson and Brooks are dynamic scorers and Woodyard has a very poor shot (and frazier a good shot) is more insight than I can stand.

Fair enough on your points as well. A lot of times in these overviews us fans of the team will have more of an insight than “Mr 144 Previews” at “Just Another Website Spewing Stuff”. He could be an internet message board hack himself that probably does not have the credentials or hindsight or time to call a coach or players or a David Jones type to get the needed insight while he’s churning out preview after preview in between his other gig of serving up beers at the local pub.

Fair enough.

I agree, kind of sloppy. ‘The front court is full of talent? Taran is a pg? He’s a perimeter player?’ More insight than I can stand also.

Covering too many teams I suppose, so they know something about each, enough to be dangerous. I have a question: what is a perimeter player? I think this is going to be somewhat of an unusual season playing time wise. I think Taran starts, but he’s not going to be a trey machine, and without question, IMO, he’ll be a top defender, getting all the tough #2 assignments, maybe guys like McCamey and Summers as well. His value is penetrating, either pulling up or finishing. This will take pressure off Talor, but it also might require a trey shooter to fill the hole left by Babb. So I see maybe Oliver(heard from good source his shot is beautiful…exact words) or Marshall or Bowman playing. IMO, the returning front line doesn’t play “big” enough, nor do they shoot well enough to warrant playing all 3 at once. The team is going to need a shooter at the 3 spot. I expect Taran to outrebound Talor, so that rebounding should improve under this scenario. I don’t think it’s a stretch to expect Taran and Talor to be #1 and #2 in rebounding, at least relative to returning players. Have no idea about rebounding abilities of other newbies or their minutes. Definitely a negative that Sasa is hurt, but that may also require playing 3 guard offense as the front line now has less depth, and Oliver in while a 2 guard offense. I think you might see this, not the safe choice of this writer. Except for the 3 spot, I think the 1st player listed starts. At the 3, have no idea. Covers 10 players.

C - Jones, Graham
4 - DJ, Brooks, Graham
3 - Marshall, Oliver, Bowman
2 - Buie, Bowman
1- Battle, Frazier

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:15, topic:1383”]I agree, kind of sloppy. ‘The front court is full of talent? Taran is a pg? He’s a perimeter player?’ More insight than I can stand also.

Covering too many teams I suppose, so they know something about each, enough to be dangerous. I have a question: what is a perimeter player? I think this is going to be somewhat of an unusual season playing time wise. I think Taran starts, but he’s not going to be a trey machine, and without question, IMO, he’ll be a top defender, getting all the tough #2 assignments, maybe guys like McCamey and Summers as well. His value is penetrating, either pulling up or finishing. This will take pressure off Talor, but it also might require a trey shooter to fill the hole left by Babb. So I see maybe Oliver(heard from good source his shot is beautiful…exact words) or Marshall or Bowman playing. IMO, the returning front line doesn’t play “big” enough, nor do they shoot well enough to warrant playing all 3 at once. The team is going to need a shooter at the 3 spot. I expect Taran to outrebound Talor, so that rebounding should improve under this scenario. I don’t think it’s a stretch to expect Taran and Talor to be #1 and #2 in rebounding, at least relative to returning players. Have no idea about rebounding abilities of other newbies or their minutes. Definitely a negative that Sasa is hurt, but that may also require playing 3 guard offense as the front line now has less depth, and Oliver in while a 2 guard offense. I think you might see this, not the safe choice of this writer. Except for the 3 spot, I think the 1st player listed starts. At the 3, have no idea. Covers 10 players.

C - Jones, Graham
4 - DJ, Brooks, Graham
3 - Marshall, Oliver, Bowman
2 - Buie, Bowman
1- Battle, Frazier[/quote]
To me a perimeter player is a guy that plays one of the follwoing positions, PG, SG, and SF. That is really all that I believe that term describes.

Here’s the way I see the roster:
PG Frazier
SG Battle
SF Jackson
PF Brooks
C Jones
Reserves
SF,SG Woodyard
SF,SG Marshall
SG Buie
SG Bowman
SF,PF Oliver
PF,C Graham

Probably when Frazier sits, Talor runs point and vice versa. Maybe if both sit Taran runs point. Like some of the others I envision a 3 guard set although Camm and Jermaine have pretty good size so it wouldn’t be all that bad. Losing Sasa definitely hurts our bigs but it gives Graham baptism by fire and gets him toughened up for next year.

Thanks.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:17, topic:1383”]Here’s the way I see the roster:
PG Frazier
SG Battle
SF Jackson
PF Brooks
C Jones
Reserves
SF,SG Woodyard
SF,SG Marshall
SG Buie
SG Bowman
SF,PF Oliver
PF,C Graham

Probably when Frazier sits, Talor runs point and vice versa. Maybe if both sit Taran runs point. Like some of the others I envision a 3 guard set although Camm and Jermaine have pretty good size so it wouldn’t be all that bad. Losing Sasa definitely hurts our bigs but it gives Graham baptism by fire and gets him toughened up for next year.[/quote]

That’s the same lineup as last year’s 3-16 team, with Frazier for Babb. Maybe, at least to start the season, but it won’t hold, IMO. I don’t know about the newbies, including Marshall and Oliver, but Buie will be starting, unless the newbies are better. It should be somewhat like Talor his frosh year, not perfect, lots of mistakes, but a guy you just have to play. He’ll be there at crunch time, and you have to have guys like that. He also won’t be kicking the ball back to Talor with 2-3 seconds on the shot clock cause they can’t create(that must have happened every 3rd possession last year).

Many don’t think HS means anything, yet John Wall and now guys like Josh Selby, Kyrie Irving and Sullinger are making everybody’s top 10 list. Is that not based on HS performance? I use the Horowitz scale, which I’ve mentioned before. Vladmir Horowitz, the renowned pianist, was once asked to rate 8-10 young pianists on a scale from 0-10. He gave all a zero except one he gave a 10. When asked how he can be so cruel, and didn’t the others have “some” talent, he replied, “you can either play or you can’t play.” Taran can play. That’s worth a starting spot. Maybe not start game 1, but by conference time it will be assured. No doubt about it. At the 2. He’ll never run the point. I agree on Graham on the baptism by fire.