PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

College Football Bowl Games

I don’t think SNL could make this up:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/news/news.aspx?id=4455697

Isn’t all this more than “a little” silly? 30 something bowls???

I told my wife that her team (the Illini, that hasn’t won a game since mid October) made a bowl game and she laughed. Then I told her that the team they were playing has a worse record (UCLA at 6-7) than the Illini’s 6-6, and she laughed again. Then I told her that they were playing in the Fight Hunger Bowl which I told her was going to played in some poor African nation and she laughed a third time.

Moral of the story…these bowls are a joke and worth a good laugh. :slight_smile:

Speaking of which…
“I think it’s going to be a good matchup,” UCLA interim coach Mike Johnson said. “It’s two teams that have gone down similar paths.”
Coach Johnson could have just stopped at the word “down”. ;D

If it means more football to watch, I’m all for it. If you’re not interested in the games, don’t watch them. I don’t see what the drawback is to college football fans to have more football.

Has any college football team finished their season 6-8 before?

Very doubtful, since this is such a unique situation

There used to be a waiver for a team to play an extra game if they would travel out to Hawaii.

I don’t know if the NCAA still has that waiver.

[quote="mjg, post:4, topic:2895"]Has any college football team finished their season 6-8 before?[/quote]

There used to be a waiver for a team to play an extra game if they would travel out to Hawaii.

Don’t know about the waver. BUT, I feel better knowing the NCAA/ESPN are protecting the welfare of the kids…14 games??? :’(

Hawaii played 13 games this season (6-7) Six away (long flights) games.

http://hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Has any college football team finished their season 6-8 before?

Yes they do. The waiver also covers games in Alaska or Puerto Rico although I am unaware of any FBS games that have been played in either of those locations.

Plus, old preseason games like the Kickoff Classic didn’t count either. So that’s another was to ratchet up the number of games that you play.

Still, I don’t think that anyone has ever gone 6-8.