PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Code Blue program details emerge

The Collegian published an article today talking some more about the Code Blue program that’s being implemented to drive student attendance at sporting events, specifically baseball, basketball, field hockey, gymnastics, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, softball and volleyball.

The system is structured much like any rewards program. Students can scan their IDs through a Code Blue scanner and they will earn a point for every event they attend (or maybe more accurately, every event their ID gets scanned). Students can then use their points to redeem items such as t-shirts (15 points), free student Nittany Lion Club membership (40 points), etc

The top 250 students earn the guaranteed right to purchase football tickets for next year while the top ten will actually get free football tickets.

I think this is a good move (although I’m sure that some will criticize it suggesting that students have enough things distracting them from their studies without the university adding to them). I know similar programs have been successfully implemented at other schools.

Sounds like a cool program … will be interesting to see what effect it has, especially on hoops attendance.

Good idea!

Love this plan! Any criticism about the university distracting students from their studies is easily answered by pointing out where the students are likely to be if they are not in Rec Hall or the BJC.

Well, at least Ill get some free stuff for going to the sporting events I would have already attended. I should rack up around 20 points from basketball season alone right?

Sounds a lot like a statement made by our buddy Lar.

Very low opinion of our general student body if you ask me.

Now if they’d just institute this for the season ticket holders who never use them

great point, Tom!

Also, it would be cool if they could give out “bonus points” for events where they really want/need more student involvement. For instance, MSU on a Sat - no bonus. Dec munchcake game - Bonus pts.

I like the plan, in theory. I don’t know if it’s enough of an incentive to get otherwise apathetic students out to the games. If I’m Chambers (and Washington, for that matter), I would “charter” B-Ball Bash Buses that tour the campus an hour or so before the games with music playing and give-aways to be had, to actually round up students from the dorms and common areas to actually bring them to the game. Local merchants who already pay marketing dollars could “sponsor” the roundup by paying for the admission tickets in exchange for their logos on the t-shirts, water bottles, or whatever is given to the participants. If it takes off, I picture several buses in a line motoring through campus and as they fill up, the remaining students walk behind and beside with a few Pep Band members playing along side, and it turning into something people actually “want” to be part of.

LOL i love ideas like this. I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but the idea that kids are just hanging outside in the northeast winter with nothing to do? Not all that likely.

Kids aren’t stupid, they know the basketball program exists. They just aren’t going to care until we’re halfway decent. There needs to be real, organic culture created here and that’s not something you can come up with as a marketing plan. I think you can shape it once it starts on its own, but there is no magic formula to get things started.

Hahahaha, no offense, but picturing that just makes me laugh :P. I’m not saying that no one would ride on the buses, but marching alongside it, like a parade, is not going to happen.

[quote="Liebs1, post:9, topic:2609"]I like the plan, in theory. I don't know if it's enough of an incentive to get otherwise apathetic students out to the games. If I'm Chambers (and Washington, for that matter), I would "charter" B-Ball Bash Buses that tour the campus an hour or so before the games with music playing and give-aways to be had, to actually round up students from the dorms and common areas to actually bring them to the game. Local merchants who already pay marketing dollars could "sponsor" the roundup by paying for the admission tickets in exchange for their logos on the t-shirts, water bottles, or whatever is given to the participants. If it takes off, I picture several buses in a line motoring through campus and as they fill up, the remaining students walk behind and beside with a few Pep Band members playing along side, and it turning into something people actually "want" to be part of.[/quote]

LOL i love ideas like this. I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but the idea that kids are just hanging outside in the northeast winter with nothing to do? Not all that likely.

Kids aren’t stupid, they know the basketball program exists. They just aren’t going to care until we’re halfway decent. There needs to be real, organic culture created here and that’s not something you can come up with as a marketing plan. I think you can shape it once it starts on its own, but there is no magic formula to get things started.

I’m not saying it would work, and I know it sounds corny, but to the extent you believe there AREN’T kids just hanging around with nothing to do on a random Wednesday night in February, that IS incorrect. Now, I agree they aren’t standing outside along Curtin Road literally looking around for something to do.

[quote="PSUJAG, post:4, topic:2609"]Love this plan! A[b]ny criticism about the university distracting students from their studies is easily answered by pointing out where the students are likely to be if they are not in Rec Hall or the BJC[/b].[/quote]

Sounds a lot like a statement made by our buddy Lar.

Very low opinion of our general student body if you ask me.

Maybe, but not formed without basis. I’d just like to see the students taking advantage of their limited opportunities to cheer on their fellow students rather than drinking their lives away in frat houses or bars. Sue me.

[quote="Liebs1, post:9, topic:2609"]I like the plan, in theory. I don't know if it's enough of an incentive to get otherwise apathetic students out to the games. If I'm Chambers (and Washington, for that matter), I would "charter" B-Ball Bash Buses that tour the campus an hour or so before the games with music playing and give-aways to be had, to actually round up students from the dorms and common areas to actually bring them to the game. Local merchants who already pay marketing dollars could "sponsor" the roundup by paying for the admission tickets in exchange for their logos on the t-shirts, water bottles, or whatever is given to the participants. If it takes off, I picture several buses in a line motoring through campus and as they fill up, the remaining students walk behind and beside with a few Pep Band members playing along side, and it turning into something people actually "want" to be part of.[/quote]

I’m not saying it would work, and I know it sounds corny, but to the extent you believe there AREN’T kids just hanging around with nothing to do on a random Wednesday night in February, that IS incorrect. Now, I agree they aren’t standing outside along Curtin Road literally looking around for something to do.

I think your definition of “nothing to do” and theirs might differ a great deal. :smiley:

For what it’s worth, the last couple games of the season (Ohio State, at the very least), I saw shuttle buses running from some of the more densely-populated spots around campus. No idea who sponsored them, but it appears that someone at the BJC at least has a similar idea in mind.

I find this concept silly though, as all of the campus CATA bus lines are free and have stops at and around the BJC.

PS- Can anyone tell me the stuff I need to know for purchasing single-game tickets as an alum? As my user-name suggests, my days in the student section are over, but I’d like to make a game or two maybe this year.

Yes, go to the game with your student ID and ask for one student ticket. And say please. :slight_smile:

Or if you want to pretend you’re an adult you can just ask for single game tickets at the box office, or likely through the website. They make an announcement when single game tickets are on sale, think it happens sometime in September typically.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:16, topic:2609”]Yes, go to the game with your student ID and ask for one student ticket. And say please. :slight_smile:

Or if you want to pretend you’re an adult you can just ask for single game tickets at the box office, or likely through the website. They make an announcement when single game tickets are on sale, think it happens sometime in September typically.[/quote]
Sometimes you’ll find season ticket holders giving away their extra tickets for free (or, at the very least, at a reduced rate). You can grab some nice seats this way, if you get lucky. Basically, if you see someone trying to get rid of tickets outside the BJC, they are most likely better seats than what you can buy at the ticket office, so take advantage.