Coaching Contract Extension

Maybe we should just have a bot auto-post all of PSUSTRETCH’s tweets. :slight_smile:

Maybe I am that bot. :smiley:

Wow, big news indeed!

Cool! Well deserved, IMHO.

That will help recruiting. Good for Coach. Build it and they will come.

I was wondering when this was going to hqppen. Well done by the AD and Ed. Men’s basketball appears to have “turned the corner”, the future looks bright. Ed and staff have a lot of scholarships for 2011. Now they just need to continue to bring in quality men.

A real thank you to Tim and Ed for a job well done!

Extension but not real raise from what I heard.

No surprise, standard operating procedure.

Also, he just purchased a vacant lot out by the Elks CC last month.

Real Estate Transactions: Aug. 24-28, 2009

Wow, vacant lots are pricey these days!

Drive out to Rosslyn Road and you’ll see why. It’s a considerable jump up from Pinehurst Dr. Although, Rosslyn Rd is considered cheap when compared to Apsen Drive, on the other side of 45.

Congrats to Ed! Look forward to seeing what he can do to build on this.

CDT’s Jeff Rice:

Steady Eddie

Coach’s new deal a sign of stability

[quote=“manatree, post:7, topic:67”]No surprise, standard operating procedure.

Also, he just purchased a vacant lot out by the Elks CC last month.

Real Estate Transactions: Aug. 24-28, 2009[/quote]

Was going to mention this a week ago but forgot. The girl that told me about this suggested that he must be planning on sticking around given the upgrade.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:11, topic:67”]CDT’s Jeff Rice:

Steady Eddie

Coach’s new deal a sign of stability[/quote]

I’m glad to see that Jeff Rice gets it.

In reality, it’s evidence of neither. Tim Curley understands what any athletic director at a big-time program does — if your coach has any sort of uncertainty surrounding his future, he is at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail. Extending DeChellis’ contract is not a vote of total confidence or even a sign that the administration is entirely satisfied with the state of the program. It’s about stability, and whether you love DeChellis or want to see him go, you have to admit that the program is as stable as it’s been in a long time.

No kidding. I don’t know why I torture myself opening hoops threads on BWI.

[quote="UncleLar, post:13, topic:67"]I'm glad to see that Jeff Rice gets it.[/quote]

No kidding. I don’t know why I torture myself opening hoops threads on BWI.

At least, FOS has a few fans who actually understand basketball.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:13, topic:67”]I’m glad to see that Jeff Rice gets it.

Exactamundo…this isn’t about whether or not the admin, or anyone else likes the coach.

You have to avoid giving recruits a reason to say things like this

"I felt that I belong at Syracuse, and Jerry Dunn didn't get his contract renewed, that was the deciding factor on Penn State," McNamara told The Times Leader in Wilkes-Barre. "We just felt that after the year he had, he deserved it. There's no doubt about it. The whole family feels that way."

The length of time that it took PSU to sign Dunn to an extension was ridiculous. Peace treaties take less time.

[quote="CAPPY, post:11, topic:67"]CDT's Jeff Rice:

Steady Eddie

In reality, it’s evidence of neither. Tim Curley understands what any athletic director at a big-time program does — if your coach has any sort of uncertainty surrounding his future, he is at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail. Extending DeChellis’ contract is not a vote of total confidence or even a sign that the administration is entirely satisfied with the state of the program. It’s about stability, and whether you love DeChellis or want to see him go, you have to admit that the program is as stable as it’s been in a long time.

Jeff Rice might get it…BUT I don’t get Jeff Rice. How many more years does Ed have? Is it 5? BUT Jeff says this is NOT a vote of total confidence or a sign that the administration in entirely satisfied. Jeff is hiding behind the words TOTAL and ENTIRELY. Crappy writing in my opinion.
Whether it is ENTIRELY or TOTAL, an extension on top of an extension adds up to a lot of years and a lot of bucks. Eddie can start buying more empty lots!

Steady Eddie

Jeff Rice might get it…BUT I don’t get Jeff Rice. How many more years does Ed have? Is it 5? BUT Jeff says this is NOT a vote of total confidence or a sign that the administration in entirely satisfied. Jeff is hiding behind the words TOTAL and ENTIRELY. Crappy writing in my opinion.
Whether it is ENTIRELY or TOTAL, an extension on top of an extension adds up to a lot of years and a lot of bucks. Eddie can start buying more empty lots!

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. You can’t tie your coach’s hands by letting him have a lame duck contract. You FIRE him or EXTEND him once it gets to 2-3 years. How hard is that to understand?

Steady Eddie

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. You can’t tie your coach’s hands by letting him have a lame duck contract. You FIRE him or EXTEND him once it gets to 2-3 years. How hard is that to understand?

Count me in the minority who doesn’t see this as totally positioning us for recruiting. It’s entirely possible that it is a strong vote of confidence.

I think the easy way to tell which it is would be to see the financial details. If he’s been rewarded financially (as he should be, IMHO), then I think that’d be a clear sign that it’s a vote of confidence. Sadly, we’ll likely never know all the details.