Coaching Change Thread

So far:

Anthony Grant out at Bama
Paul Hewitt out at Mason
Oliver Purnell mercifully out at DePaul.

Add to those three:

Alan Major out at Charlotte
Murray Bartow at East Tennessee State
Milan Brown at Holy Cross
Howard Moore at Illinois-Chicago
Dale Layer at Liberty
Jerome Allen at Penn
Chuck Driesell (Lefty’s son) at Citadel
Lennox Forrester at SIUE
Stew Morrill (retired) at Utah State
Dick Hunsaker (retired) at Utah Valley

How far has Paul Hewitt fallen. After making some noise at Sienna, he was as hot of a young up and comer prospect as there was.

Nevada fired David Carter

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/11/reports-nevada-fires-head-coach-david-carter/

Grant, Purnell, Hewitt, Major, Carter, Brown, Moore, Allen and Forrester are black head coaches. Each of these dismissals was probably justified on merit, but it is worth monitoring how many black coaches are hired this spring.

Rumor is Steve Donahue to be hired at Penn.

We’ve had some of those names on “potential coaches” lists in the past: Grant, Purnell, Hewitt and Morrill. Brian Gregory is also said to be on thin ice at Georgia Tech.

Goodman says Gregory is back for next year.

Bill Grier canned at San Diego.

Yep! Penn Athletics (@pennathletics)
3/16/15, 7:20 PM
www.http://pic.twitter.com/YuL4oXLEza

I think that’s a good hire for them! My favorite Big 5 school on the comeback trail, baby!

Chambers and Donahue are friends. I recall Donahue visited with our staff in the fall for a couple days. Wonder if Donahue would have any interest in Brian Daly as an assistant.

Daly’s our key guy in Philly, isn’t he? That would suck.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:1, topic:4469”]So far:

Anthony Grant out at Bama
Paul Hewitt out at Mason
Oliver Purnell mercifully out at DePaul.[/quote]

All three of these guys have traveled longer paths…Grant from VCU. Now that VCU’s in the A-10, I wonder how much better the job actually is.

Hewitt took over by way of Georgia Tech for Larranaga who went to Miami.

And Purnell was a Clemson for a while.

What a vote of confidence!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12497421/georgia-tech-bringing-coach-brian-gregory-back-another-season

[quote="BleedPSU, post:8, topic:4469"]Goodman says Gregory is back for next year.[/quote]

What a vote of confidence!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12497421/georgia-tech-bringing-coach-brian-gregory-back-another-season

Haha, this is great! I love it when people actually tell the truth in interviews!

I wonder (where’s Skeeza when we need him???) whether money had more to do with it than he’s saying. Big payout to Hewitt, big buyout to Gregory, new arena empty.

He completely undermined his coach - maybe he’s hoping he’ll read it and quit.

[quote="LPcreation, post:15, topic:4469"]Haha, this is great! I love it when people actually tell the truth in interviews![/quote]

I wonder (where’s Skeeza when we need him???) whether money had more to do with it than he’s saying. Big payout to Hewitt, big buyout to Gregory, new arena empty.

I believe that at one time, Tennessee had three different basketball coaches on the payroll because of buyouts.

[quote="LPcreation, post:15, topic:4469"]Haha, this is great! I love it when people actually tell the truth in interviews![/quote]

I don’t see how these ADs paint themselves into these corners. You would think that they would negotiate a very low buyout, or even a no-cost buyout.

Sorry, tjb, but I gotta take this conversation in another direction. I get so sick and tired of hearing how colleges cannot afford to pay athletes, then you hear crap like this, …

…“the Yellow Jackets are still paying $900,000 a year to previous coach Paul Hewitt, a commitment that runs until 2019”…<<<

People always talk about the “real world”, especially when it comes to kids, and the carefrontations. “If they are not producing” so the thought goes, “then it’s OK to pull their scholarship. After all, if I wasn’t producing at my job, I would be fired”. In what real world will someone continue to get almost a million dollars a year, even after they were fired for not producing?

I would love to find a site or article that provides a brief (and I suspect it would be very brief indeed) of the athletic departments that actually turn a profit. The only way programs could afford to compensate the athletes in a fiscally responsible way would be to drastically reduce expenses, which means salaries, facilities, travel & recruiting expenses, etc. Instead, what will happen is to continue to run the financial arms race up and up, running deeper into the red. the only cuts that will be made will be to sports other than football & basketball.

[quote="Skeeza, post:18, topic:4469"]Sorry, tjb, but I gotta take this conversation in another direction. I get so sick and tired of hearing how colleges cannot afford to pay athletes, then you hear crap like this, ...[/quote]

I would love to find a site or article that provides a brief (and I suspect it would be very brief indeed) of the athletic departments that actually turn a profit. The only way programs could afford to compensate the athletes in a fiscally responsible way would be to drastically reduce expenses, which means salaries, facilities, travel & recruiting expenses, etc. Instead, what will happen is to continue to run the financial arms race up and up, running deeper into the red. the only cuts that will be made will be to sports other than football & basketball.

Athletic Departments do not turn profits because they do not WANT to turn a profit. What would they do with the profit? …turn it back to the school? Why on earth would they want to do something like that.

The best way NOT to turn a profit is to spend every dime you have before you have to turn it over. Look at the money being spent, and the insane lengths that some ADs will go to justify it. How about Penn State? I have heard rumblings of spending tens of millions to update the training facilities, that are only about 15 years old, because they “look dated”.

…THINK ABOUT THAT !!!