Coaching Carousel

Thought it might help to keep these in one thread, if people are so inclined.

Skinner was let go by BC today.

[quote=“jyd, post:1, topic:1068”]Thought it might help to keep these in one thread, if people are so inclined.

Skinner was let go by BC today.[/quote]

The ESPN article made it sound like they parted ways last week, just before Skinner interviewed for the St. John’s job.

Boston College and men’s basketball coach Al Skinner mutually agreed to part ways following a meeting last Wednesday, two days before Skinner interviewed with St. John’s, BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncb/news/story?id=5039956

NO one is going to want this job. NOT even at a million bucks a year . Heck, a New England school in a southern league… ::slight_smile:
and what about those accents?

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1068”]NO one is going to want this job. NOT even at a million bucks a year . Heck, a New England school in a southern league… ::slight_smile:
and what about those accents?[/quote]

They are 435 miles from College Park, MD – which I think is the closest school. If driving, you’d go through RI, CT, NY, NJ and PA on the way.

Penn State is 337 miles from Columbus OH, which in mileage roughly 25% less. (Ann Arbor is also closer at 390 miles). But at least OH borders PA. And we think we have a disadvantage?

I liked Al Skinner as a player (solid defensive oriented guard) AND…as a coach. I wish him luck. He had a nice run (13 years) at BC.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1068"]NO one is going to want this job. NOT even at a million bucks a year . Heck, a New England school in a southern league....... ::) and what about those accents?[/quote]

They are 435 miles from College Park, MD – which I think is the closest school. If driving, you’d go through RI, CT, NY, NJ and PA on the way.

Penn State is 337 miles from Columbus OH, which in mileage roughly 25% less. (Ann Arbor is also closer at 390 miles). But at least OH borders PA. And we think we have a disadvantage?

Heretics! How dare thou go against the Penn State Hoopsgma? Penn State is the toughest gig in America. Go back and re-read the Book of Bruce 3:23-38, Chapters 4, 7 17 & 23 of the Songs of Harter, The Epistles of Bob to the Lemontians as well as the Boalsburgers, the First and Second Chronicles of Jerry and all five Books of the Rorah, Lions Rorah.

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1068”]NO one is going to want this job. NOT even at a million bucks a year . Heck, a New England school in a southern league… ::slight_smile:
and what about those accents?[/quote]

Players are from:
Colorado, Colorado, Ontario, Louisiana, New Jersey, Conn, Mass, Mass, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Florida, Mich, Texas.

Not much ACC country represented. Twice as many kid from Colorado as every (non Mass) ACC state combined.

Big East
00-01 (13-3) 27-5 (1st, east and overall)
01-02 (6-10) 17-12 (t-5th east, t-10th overall)
02-03 (10-6) 19-12 (t-1st east, t-3rd overall)
03-04 (10-6) 24-10 (t-5th)
04-05 (13-3) 25-5 (t-1st)
(52-28)

ACC
05-06 (11-5) 28-8 (3rd)
06-07 (10-6) 21-12 (t-2nd)
07-08 (4-12) 14-17 (t-last)
08-09 (9-7) 22-12 (t-5th)
09-10 (6-10) 15-16 (8th)
(40-40)

Something happened when BC moved from the Big East to the ACC. It’s up for debate what impact being in a southern league had in their decline, but to dismiss the concept out of hand because it doesn’t fit your “everything’s an excuse” worldview is a little arrogant.

Tim Floyd to UTEP.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1068"]NO one is going to want this job. NOT even at a million bucks a year . Heck, a New England school in a southern league....... ::) and what about those accents?[/quote]

Heretics! How dare thou go against the Penn State Hoopsgma? Penn State is the toughest gig in America. Go back and re-read the Book of Bruce 3:23-38, Chapters 4, 7 17 & 23 of the Songs of Harter, The Epistles of Bob to the Lemontians as well as the Boalsburgers, the First and Second Chronicles of Jerry and all five Books of the Rorah, Lions Rorah.

I still think we have somewhat of a disadvantage. But BC is worse.

[quote=“laoDan”]Open (and filled) jobs:

St John’s: Steve Lavin?
Seton Hall: Kevin Willard (Iona)
Iowa: McCaffery (Siena)
Auburn: Tony Barbee (UTEP)
Oregon:

Charlotte:
Fordham: Tom Pecora (Hofstra)
UTEP: Tim Floyd
E Carolina: Jeff Lebo (Auburn)
Houston:
UNC Wilmington:
Iona:
Hofstra:
Toledo:
Garner Webb:
Wagner:
Central Arkansas:[/quote]

DePaul
UNC-Wilmington
Fordam TOM PECORA- HOFSTRA HEAD COACH
Dartmouth
Penn
Oregon
Boise State LEON RICE- GONZAGA ASSISTANT
Central Arkansas CORLISS WILLIAMSON- COACH ARKANSAS BAPTISTS
Hawaii GIB ARNOLD- FORMER USC ASSISTANT
Toledo
La-Lafayette BOB MARLIN- SAM HOUSTON STATE HEAD COACH
UC-Irvine
Wagner
Auburn TONY BARBEE- UTEP HEAD COACH
Iowa FRAN MCCAFFERY- SIENA HEAD COACH
Charlotte
Central Florida DONNIE JONES- MARSHALL HEAD COACH
East Carolina JEFF LEBO- FORMER AUBURN HEAD COACH
Seton Hall KEVIN WILLARD- IONA HEAD COACH
St. John’s
Houston
Hofstra
UTEP TIM FLOYD- FORMER USC COACH
Iona
Siena
Marshall
Sam Houston State
Boston College

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/01/2010-college-basketball-coaching.html

Here a good site

Open (and filled) jobs:

St John’s: Steve Lavin?
Seton Hall: Kevin Willard (Iona)
Iowa: McCaffery (Siena)
Auburn: Tony Barbee (UTEP)
Oregon:
DePaul:
Boston College:

Charlotte:
Fordham: Tom Pecora (Hofstra)
UTEP: Tim Floyd
E Carolina: Jeff Lebo (Auburn)
Houston:
UNC Wilmington:
Iona:
Hofstra:
Toledo:
Garner Webb:
Wagner:
Siena:
Farleigh Dickenson: Greg Vetrone (internal)
Dartmouth:
Penn:
Howard:

Boise State LEON RICE- GONZAGA ASSISTANT
Central Arkansas CORLISS WILLIAMSON- COACH ARKANSAS BAPTISTS
Hawaii GIB ARNOLD- FORMER USC ASSISTANT
La-Lafayette BOB MARLIN- SAM HOUSTON STATE HEAD COACH
UC-Irvine
Central Florida DONNIE JONES- MARSHALL HEAD COACH
Marshall
Sam Houston State

I combined my list with Chaze’s. Anyone who wants to update it can just hit “Quote,” get rid of the quotes and make whatever changes they want.

ESPN is reporting on TV that Oregon has offered the head coaching job to Tubby Smith.

Will he take it? I’m leaning towards yes.

[quote="CAPPY, post:13, topic:1068"]ESPN is reporting on TV that Oregon has offered the head coaching job to Tubby Smith.[/quote]

Depends how much Nike is willing to pay him.

ESPN is reporting on TV that Oregon has offered the head coaching job to Tubby Smith.

I am definitely hoping he says yes to the Ducks! :slight_smile:

What do you think Tim Curley is thinking when he watches all of the other big conference schools try and make moves to get qualified coaches?

I am sure this is what he is still thinking.

"Yes, Ed will continue to be our head coach," Curley wrote. "I like the way he runs our program, his assistant coaches and players in the program.

“I believe we are better than our record shows. Ed and I share the same vision for the program. I have complete confidence in Ed and his staff. No one will work harder or bring greater passion to making the necessary progress.”

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/03/dechellis_will_stay_on_at_leas.html

Ed is not part of the current coaching carousel so I don’t think he needs to be part of this thread.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:18, topic:1068”]I am sure this is what he is still thinking.

[quote]“Yes, Ed will continue to be our head coach,” Curley wrote. "I like the way he runs our program, his assistant coaches and players in the program.

“I believe we are better than our record shows. Ed and I share the same vision for the program. I have complete confidence in Ed and his staff. No one will work harder or bring greater passion to making the necessary progress.”[/quote]

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/03/dechellis_will_stay_on_at_leas.html

Ed is not part of the current coaching carousel so I don’t think he needs to be part of this thread.[/quote]

What somebody “thinks” and what they “say to newspapers” can be different things.

But does it really matter? Do you really thing TC is going to still pull the plug on Ed being PSU’s coach next year? NOT!!!