PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Coach Chambers

In his first year, I think it’s clear that Coach Chambers has Penn State moving in the right direction with a young team. Hustling and playing with a good attitude. The scoring will come. Also, he is do a great job of recruiting.

I have a quick question. I liked the Penn State shirts the coaching staff was wearing yesterday. Anyone know the brand of the shirt or if the public can buy one of the shirts? Thank you in advance.

Not sure if this is the exact same shirt but I think it’s pretty close to what PC and the coaches were wearing yesterday.

http://www.lions-pride.com/store/CH620LTB%21CP/Chestnut+Hill+Pin+Point+Oxford+Dress+Shirt

Cappy,

Thank you.

JD

You’re welcome, Jerry Dunn? ;D :wink:

You know, every game I watch makes me more and more excited for the future. This particular team, while light in the win category, is very likeable. They hustle and they never give up. Kudos to PC and the players for really making this season enjoyable despite the lack of hope for postseason play. Just this morning, I took at look through some of the rating sites and I see PSU is rated 122 by Pomeroy, 125 by Sagarin, and 128 in RPI. To be honest, in the past 10 years or so, we’ve had teams with far superior talent levels that werent close to those rankings. One has to feel that the next couple of seasons, when PC has his guys, that this program will be consistently good to the likes that we have never seen. My son is almost 3 and by the time he is old enough to truly enjoy the games, I have a firm belief that we will be fighting for tickets, fighting for parking spots, and watching a program that will be an annual tournament team. Im excited and I feel that it would have been tough to find a better hire than the one PSU made.

[quote=“mhenry41, post:5, topic:3073”]You know, every game I watch makes me more and more excited for the future. This particular team, while light in the win category, is very likeable. They hustle and they never give up. Kudos to PC and the players for really making this season enjoyable despite the lack of hope for postseason play. Just this morning, I took at look through some of the rating sites and I see PSU is rated 122 by Pomeroy, 125 by Sagarin, and 128 in RPI. To be honest, in the past 10 years or so, we’ve had teams with far superior talent levels that werent close to those rankings. One has to feel that the next couple of seasons, when PC has his guys, that this program will be consistently good to the likes that we have never seen. My son is almost 3 and by the time he is old enough to truly enjoy the games, I have a firm belief that we will be fighting for tickets, fighting for parking spots, and watching a program that will be an annual tournament team. Im excited and I feel that it would have been tough to find a better hire than the one PSU made.[/quote]buy season tickets now and he wont have to fight those battles :wink:

That says more about the schedule than it does anything else. It means DeChellis learned his lesson when we missed the NCAAs in 2009. We don’t yet know what Chambers scheduling philosophy will be.

[quote="mhenry41, post:5, topic:3073"]You know, every game I watch makes me more and more excited for the future. This particular team, while light in the win category, is very likeable. They hustle and they never give up. Kudos to PC and the players for really making this season enjoyable despite the lack of hope for postseason play. [b]Just this morning, I took at look through some of the rating sites and I see PSU is rated 122 by Pomeroy, 125 by Sagarin, and 128 in RPI.[/b] To be honest, in the past 10 years or so, we've had teams with far superior talent levels that werent close to those rankings. One has to feel that the next couple of seasons, when PC has his guys, that this program will be consistently good to the likes that we have never seen. My son is almost 3 and by the time he is old enough to truly enjoy the games, I have a firm belief that we will be fighting for tickets, fighting for parking spots, and watching a program that will be an annual tournament team. Im excited and I feel that it would have been tough to find a better hire than the one PSU made.[/quote]

That says more about the schedule than it does anything else. It means DeChellis learned his lesson when we missed the NCAAs in 2009. We don’t yet know what Chambers scheduling philosophy will be.

Not to crap on DeChellis, as I’ve done my best to avoid doing that since his departure, but did he really learn his lesson? We would always schedule weak, and our best OOC games for the most part are ACC/B10 challenge games. That would make sense if we were playing Duke, or Carolina, but we’ve been playing a middle of the road Virginia Tech, and quickly declining Maryland. Our best non ACC games came from the A10 which can provide a decent opposition, but we should have been challenging ourselves against stronger power conference opponents.

Out of our OOC opponents this season, only one is considered to be in the tournament, Kentucky.

[quote="mhenry41, post:5, topic:3073"]You know, every game I watch makes me more and more excited for the future. This particular team, while light in the win category, is very likeable. They hustle and they never give up. Kudos to PC and the players for really making this season enjoyable despite the lack of hope for postseason play. [b]Just this morning, I took at look through some of the rating sites and I see PSU is rated 122 by Pomeroy, 125 by Sagarin, and 128 in RPI.[/b] To be honest, in the past 10 years or so, we've had teams with far superior talent levels that werent close to those rankings. One has to feel that the next couple of seasons, when PC has his guys, that this program will be consistently good to the likes that we have never seen. My son is almost 3 and by the time he is old enough to truly enjoy the games, I have a firm belief that we will be fighting for tickets, fighting for parking spots, and watching a program that will be an annual tournament team. Im excited and I feel that it would have been tough to find a better hire than the one PSU made.[/quote]

Not to crap on DeChellis, as I’ve done my best to avoid doing that since his departure, but did he really learn his lesson? We would always schedule weak, and our best OOC games for the most part are ACC/B10 challenge games. That would make sense if we were playing Duke, or Carolina, but we’ve been playing a middle of the road Virginia Tech, and quickly declining Maryland. Our best non ACC games came from the A10 which can provide a decent opposition, but we should have been challenging ourselves against power conference opponents.

Out of our OOC opponents, only one is considered to be in the tournament, Kentucky.

It’s not about playing the very best. It’s about not playing the very worst.

Not to crap on DeChellis, as I’ve done my best to avoid doing that since his departure, but did he really learn his lesson? We would always schedule weak, and our best OOC games for the most part are ACC/B10 challenge games. That would make sense if we were playing Duke, or Carolina, but we’ve been playing a middle of the road Virginia Tech, and quickly declining Maryland. Our best non ACC games came from the A10 which can provide a decent opposition, but we should have been challenging ourselves against power conference opponents.

Out of our OOC opponents, only one is considered to be in the tournament, Kentucky.

DeChellis finally scheduled like you should - for the RPI. The Big Ten is good enough that even in down years the OOC needs to only be good enough not to shoot yourself in the foot, which he did most famously in the NIT year.

Programs don’t need to play Murderer’s Row, and you shouldn’t play Cupcake Parties either. They have to find a balance that enables them to play quality opposition.

There isn’t a need to schedule 6+ tournament teams in one season. But if you can schedule a couple tourney potential teams (not low major potential tourney teams) from power conferences, then you are challenging yourself.

We don’t generally do that, and that hurts our recruiting as well.

That’s a pretty lame attitude to scheduling isn’t it? That has been our philosophy, schedule well enough to get by, not to better the state of the program.

The Big 10 most certainly helps your SOS, and RPI, however, in order to elevate the program, we need to schedule tougher.

It's not about playing the very best. It's about not playing the very worst.

Programs don’t need to play Murderer’s Row, and you shouldn’t play Cupcake Parties either. They have to find a balance that enables them to play quality opposition.

There isn’t a need to schedule 6+ tournament teams in one season. But if you can schedule a couple tourney potential teams (not low major potential tourney teams) from power conferences, then you are challenging yourself.

One can argue whether “challenging yourself” is beneficial or not.
One can also argue about how much playing cupcakes hurts recruiting.
But there’s no argument for scheduling the RPI killers - there is absolutely nothing to be gained from that. Sadly it took the loss of an NCAA bid for DeChellis to understand that.

[quote="JohnT, post:9, topic:3073"]It's not about playing the very best. It's about not playing the very worst.[/quote]

But there’s no argument for scheduling the RPI killers - there is absolutely nothing to be gained from that. Sadly it took the loss of an NCAA bid for DeChellis to understand that.

I think challenging yourself is important to show recruits, not only do you come to Penn State for the academics, and the newly built destroyer of a program, us in 2016 :), but you will get to play against the best teams as well.

Also, I think “challenging yourself” sets teams up for the NCAA tournament. It allows coaches to see other styles, how their teams act against those styles, and how they can adjust. In conference play, there is a great familiarity there for coaches. After a few seasons, there won’t be much coaches do that will be surprising. That’s why OOC can be so important come March.

[quote="JohnT, post:9, topic:3073"]It's not about playing the very best. It's about not playing the very worst.[/quote]

I think challenging yourself is important to show recruits, not only do you come to Penn State for the academics, and the newly built destroyer of a program, us in 2016 :), but you will get to play against the best teams as well.

Also, I think “challenging yourself” sets teams up for the NCAA tournament. It allows coaches to see other styles, how their teams act against those styles, and how they can adjust. In conference play, there is a great familiarity there for coaches. After a few seasons, there won’t be much coaches do that will be surprising. That’s why OOC can be so important come March.

The Big 10 is all the challenge needed.

If you think about the teams with a “go anywhere, any time” scheduling philosophy, it was Temple (which had a relatively soft A10 schedule and did need to challenge itself) and Michigan State and IU under Knight - teams that were trying to prep for national championships.

Any team in a big conference without legit national title hopes needs to schedule wins and RPI in the OOC.

While another marquee game in the noncon would be cool, I don’t think we can complain about last year’s schedule. Didn’t the SOS end up to be about #7?

Sounds like you’re going to be disappointed if Chambers schedules the way he’s been talking. He’s never seemed like a guy who just blows smoke to me, either.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012/2/3/2768852/chambers-talks-scheduling-philosophy

Im excited to read this! I think we can all agree that Pitt and prominent Philly school should be on the sked every year. I think, with Chambers and his Philly recruiting prowess, its a safe bet that he will be playing Philly schools to further the team’s exposure. I can see him trying to 1 bigger name (Nova/Temple) and 1 smaller name (St Joes/Penn) consistently finding their way on.

Take it for what it’s worth.

It’s not that I doubt PC, but this is simply coach-speak. Honestly, what do you expect him to say? “I think we should schedule very winnable games against sub-par competition to inflate our W/L record.”

These are Div-I coaches. They know what to say. Save any and all excitement until you actually see a schedule.

[b]Im excited to read this! [/b] I think we can all agree that Pitt and prominent Philly school should be on the sked every year. I think, with Chambers and his Philly recruiting prowess, its a safe bet that he will be playing Philly schools to further the team's exposure. I can see him trying to 1 bigger name (Nova/Temple) and 1 smaller name (St Joes/Penn) consistently finding their way on.

Take it for what it’s worth.

It’s not that I doubt PC, but this is simply coach-speak. Honestly, what do you expect him to say? “I think we should schedule very winnable games against sub-par competition to inflate our W/L record.”

These are Div-I coaches. They know what to say. Save any and all excitement until you actually see a schedule.

Exactly my thoughts. He also said that we’d be looking to run on offense, but once reality hits, you’ll see something different.

Football handicapper Phil Steele once wrote about how with pretty much every new coach or defensive coordinator, you’ll always hear them coming in and saying “we’re going to be more aggressive and attacking on defense”. You’ll never hear a new coach say “we’ll be less aggressive and go with more of a read and react approach”. Yet at the end of the day, more often than not it doesn’t work out that way.