PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Coach Chambers Show

I was reading notes from the Baltimore leg of the Coaches Caravan and saw that Coach O’Brien will possibly be having his own show. That got me thinking that Coach Chambers should have his own or sharing one with other sports.

With his personality is Chambers would be a hit I’m sure. More so than he already is. :slight_smile:

I assumed they were talking about the Thursday radio show

[quote=“byake, post:1, topic:3273”]I was reading notes from the Baltimore leg of the Coaches Caravan and saw that Coach O’Brien will possibly be having his own show. That got me thinking that Coach Chambers should have his own or sharing one with other sports.

With his personality is Chambers would be a hit I’m sure. More so than he already is. :)[/quote]

O’Brien gets paid a million bucks a year to do TV and Radio shows for Penn State (that’s the Thursday night radio show and the Penn State Football Story). Chambers has the same deal, albeit I assume for less money. Those shows are going to change, partly because of O’Brien being the new football coach and partly because Guido and his company, Mind Over Media, who produced the TV shows, have parted ways with Penn State.

So we’re not actually talking new shows, just the rebranding of existing ones. Will that rebranding have more of an O’Brien presence than the old shows had a Paterno presence? Almost certainly, since Paterno didn’t spend much time with either, particularly the TV show. It seems quite likely that Chambers presence on the basketball version of the new shows will go up too, both because his show will probably mirror the football version and because, like you suggest, his personality fits.

I hope it’s something like this, selfishly, but Guido was an ad man, and knew that the audiences were 1: Recruits; 1a: Recruits, 2: Recruits and 3: True believers.

So it was big on mythology.

I doubt many recruits listened to the radio show. Heck in its last few years, I doubt many people at all listened to the show, outside of a few long time callers that just wanted to say hi each week and some local media folk trying to get some tidbit, or at least be entertained.