PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Coach Burroughs on Jed Donahue's radio show

Assistant Coach Eugene Burroughs was on Jed Donahue’s radio show this morning. Jed was asking questions about recruiting in the Philly area and Coach Burroughs responded with something along the lines of “Well, when you go into the Philly area and get a kid like Brandon Taylor…” Not sure how he finished the statement because I was just kind of shocked that he just blurted out the kid’s name without being prompted.

These guys need a quick NCAA recruiting rules refresher.

That will almost assuredly be considered a violation. While you are allowed to acknowledge that you are recruiting a kid, you are not supposed to comment on the likelihood of signing a kid. Burrough’s comment clearly seems to stray into that neighborhood. You can say so little about a kid that most coaches won’t mention who we are recruiting in order to not even open the door up to any interpretation that could be considered a violation. Burrough’s obviously went beyond that.

[quote="psuDW, post:1, topic:2669"]Assistant Coach Eugene Burroughs was on Jed Donahue's radio show this morning. Jed was asking questions about recruiting in the Philly area and Coach Burroughs responded with something along the lines of "Well, when you go into the Philly area and get a kid like Brandon Taylor...." Not sure how he finished the statement because I was just kind of shocked that he just blurted out the kid's name without being prompted.[/quote]

That will almost assuredly be considered a violation. While you are allowed to acknowledge that you are recruiting a kid, you are not supposed to comment on the likelihood of signing a kid. Burrough’s comment clearly seems to stray into that neighborhood. You can say so little about a kid that most coaches won’t mention who we are recruiting in order to not even open the door up to any interpretation that could be considered a violation. Burrough’s obviously went beyond that.

Yea, I don’t think there is any way around it. He definitely said ‘get a kid like Brandon Taylor,’ which is clearly a statement about the likelihood of signing him. While I also think that Chambers’ mention about Akosa Maduegbunam being ‘a good one’ was a violation, this one seems to be more egregious. I think in Chambers’ case, he was asked specifically about Akosa, whereas Burroughs was only asked a general question about recruiting in the Philly area.

Edit: I did not mean to imply that the ‘egregiousness’ of either situation makes any kind of important difference. Just that this one seemed a lot sillier than Chambers’ comment in the sense that Burroughs just dropped Taylor’s name out of nowhere.

I really hope the coaching staff is on top of the rules and don’t have any lapses in forgetting them.

Everyone pushes the rules. It’s why we need so many of them. It’s a highly competitive business in which ethics and values are stretched to the limit. I am sure these guys know the rule.

These lapses aren’t an effort to push the limit. They’re just silly mental lapses that one of these days could get them in real trouble.