Closing the books on the 2010 Recruiting Class

Barring a JUCO pick up or an unexpected summer addition to the team, Ed DeChellis’ 2010 basketball recruiting class is complete. The class includes athletically capable and upside minded PF Jonathan Graham from Maryland, ESPN Top 100 guard and Talor Battle’s half brother - Taran Buie, and a solid (literally) SG signee in Tre Bowman… a hopeful Chris Babb replacement.

It is a decent at best recruiting class that unfortunately has to plug the holes left by the departures of Chris Babb, Bill Edwards, and Andrew Ott, instead of adding depth behind those players. Taran Buie is obviously the star recruit on paper. The class is for the most part lacking forwards (thankfully Graham was signed or we would all be smashing the panic button).

Just to clean up shop, there are a few lingering recruits on various databases, including our own Recruiting Matrix:

1. Orlando Walker 6’3 SG - JUCO - Rivals Unranked - Not on ESPN or Scout
  2. Duane Bagsby 6’ PG - JUCO - Rivals Unranked - Not on ESPN or Scout
  3. Tyler McNeely 6’7 PF - Scout 2 Star, ESPN 40, Not on Scout … does not even seem to be B10 talent

No real size in the remaining recruits. If anyone is interested, here is the Top 150 JUCO recruits (7 months old): http://rivals.yahoo.com/jucojunction/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2526;_ylt=ApyuxlAZp07duQliBzgNf0trWpB4

The 2011 recruiting class will be HUGE… HUGE, for ED’s future. A big class will be graduating, and if the team does poorly, expect a few departures. ED needs to replace 3 major minute forwards and a star point guard - good luck with that!

Off season has been slow after the transfer parade concluded… just trying to spark some thoughts and prepare for next season.

Has anyone seen Tre Bowman play? I did read he has been on campus since the 1st Summer session so its possible he has been in some pick up games at IM Building. Having Taran so close and having brother playing, he might get ahead of the curve for freshmen playing in the Big Ten. Seeing photos of Taran during this past season, shows he has bulked up some so that is a good sign for the wear and tear.

To be honest I don’t even want to start thinking about the 2011 recruiting class until we start the season. The only way I see us getting the players we want is if we have a successful season.

As for the 2010 class I’m content with what we have. Taran obviously is the crown jewel of the class and I hope he can build upon what Talor has done here. Bowman may very well be a sleeper pick-up in my opinion. He’s played against some good Prep competition and has better driving ability than Chris. What remains to be seen is Bowman’s defensive prowess as it has been a point of issue. I have no idea what to expect of Graham and hope that our veterans play well enough that he won’t be needed this season. He may surprise me but I’ll be happy if he turns out to be a solid contributor his last two years.

What is a successful season in your book? I would call the NIT championship season a success and it landed (indirectly or directly) Frazier, Edwards, Sasa (2009 class) as well as Buie (2010).

So if that is the definition of success - I highly doubt PSU has a “successful” season, and if they do we’ll see recruits of the above caliber, correct?

I am not willing to close the book on the class!
Jucos are waiting on grades
Transfer possiblities are plentiful

“Patience is the key to paradise”

[quote="byake, post:3, topic:1245"]To be honest I don't even want to start thinking about the 2011 recruiting class until we start the season. The only way I see us getting the players we want is if we have a successful season.[/quote]

What is a successful season in your book? I would call the NIT championship season a success and it landed (indirectly or directly) Frazier, Edwards, Sasa (2009 class) as well as Buie (2010).

So if that is the definition of success - I highly doubt PSU has a “successful” season, and if they do we’ll see recruits of the above caliber, correct?

I view a successful season as being on the bubble for the NCAA’s at a minimum, preferably making the NCAA’s. No excuses.

Why? Making the NCAA’s is key relative to the state of the program, the fact that our Coach is on the hot seat, we lost recruiting momentum and the subdued interest in the program from the fan base. If this can’t be done with one of the best players in our program’s history then I don’t see us ever making it under Ed.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:1245”]I am not willing to close the book on the class!
Jucos are waiting on grades
Transfer possiblities are plentiful

“Patience is the key to paradise” [/quote]
Thats why I titled the thread “CLOSING” the books, not “the books are closed”. ;D
I linked to the JUCO list as well as any players that are still on the recruiting service radars. However, a potential recruit would most likely not be on the radar due to the circumstances (late addition, likely JUCO, etc). Since no one is too far in the know on here (or at least doesn’t show it), we can only speculate.

[quote=“byake, post:6, topic:1245”]I view a successful season as being on the bubble for the NCAA’s at a minimum, preferably making the NCAA’s. No excuses.

Why? Making the NCAA’s is key relative to the state of the program, the fact that our Coach is on the hot seat, we lost recruiting momentum and the subdued interest in the program from the fan base. If this can’t be done with one of the best players in our program’s history then I don’t see us ever making it under Ed. [/quote]

Unfortunately, the B10 is set to be the strongest it has been in quite some time. Potentially 3 Top 5 teams (Purdue, OSU, MSU). PSU won’t have a good conference record. If they have any shot at the Dance, they need to be flawless in the OOC, win no bad games and steal 2 or 3 games against ranked teams (OOC or B10). Is it too much to ask from a team that finished dead last and lost 3 contributors from that last place team? We shall see.

Jonathan Graham was ranked #364 in Clark Francis’ Top 500 players for the Class of 2010.

I don’t have access to Clark’s website - just saw it posted on another forum. I’m sure Buie is around 100 and that Bowman is in the 400s or 500s. (if ranked).

Edit: Buie is #87 and Bowman is not ranked.

[quote=“byake, post:3, topic:1245”]To be honest I don’t even want to start thinking about the 2011 recruiting class until we start the season. The only way I see us getting the players we want is if we have a successful season.

As for the 2010 class I’m content with what we have. Taran obviously is the crown jewel of the class and I hope he can build upon what Talor has done here. Bowman may very well be a sleeper pick-up in my opinion. He’s played against some good Prep competition and has better driving ability than Chris. What remains to be seen is Bowman’s defensive prowess as it has been a point of issue. I have no idea what to expect of Graham and hope that our veterans play well enough that he won’t be needed this season. He may surprise me but I’ll be happy if he turns out to be a solid contributor his last two years.[/quote]

Can’t do that. The early signing period is in November. So, you think Ed should wait until April and get leftovers? IMO, this is why you need great salesmanship to be an effective recruiter. When Talor signed, people said we couldn’t recruit for the '08 class til we had a successful season. That didn’t work out so well, as there were no top 150 recruits in the '08 class, and Babb, the best of the bunch, has left. Huggins goes to WVU and gets Kevin Jones and Devin Ebanks prior to any success at that school, Calipari does his thing his first year at Kentucky. I realize these guys are questionable(more than questionable in Calipari’s case) but can we get away from “it’s going to take time?” It doesn’t have to take time. You think Butler’s Brad Stevens thought like that? Despite Purdue pursuing Gordon Hayward, that didn’t stop him. Both Brooks and Battle were ranked top 125 in espn’s ranking. On that alone, Ed should have pressed for the '08 class to do the same. He didn’t, and there were 4 spots. Can’t wait for success, you have to create it based on possibilities.

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1245”]Jonathan Graham was ranked #364 in Clark Francis’ Top 500 players for the Class of 2010.

I don’t have access to Clark’s website - just saw it posted on another forum. I’m sure Buie is around 100 and that Bowman is in the 400s or 500s. (if ranked).

Edit: Buie is #87 and Bowman is not ranked.[/quote]

Re this season, I’m more optimistic than last season, at least being better than 3-16. How much more? Not a ton, but 4 more victories in conference would be big move, IMO. Losing close to 10ppg with Babb will hurt. Buie has different game, but would be complementary to Chris’s game, cause IMO, Taran is not a perimeter player looking for the ball to make 3’s. Much more of a penetrating player. Chris would’ve gotten major kickouts from Talor and Taran had he stayed. I don’t really see a loss at ppg at guard, just different points, more inside. That said, can the front line deliver? I think we know what we will see from the returning front line starters, and DJ did step up a bunch, but I think Sasa, Oliver, Graham, at least one of them, needs to really step up, get playing time more than a few minutes here and there for this team to succeed, and go 10-8 or so in conference. I hope we don’t see guards driving and kicking it out to front line players who can’t shoot treys, yet continue to shoot them. Seen enough of that.

I agree on most points. I am optimistic (I don’t know how) that the team will play a lot better than 3-15(16). HOWEVER, the B10 is also going to be a lot better than it was last season. So any minor/medium amount of increase in play won’t matter too much.

Wisconsin is going to be a little worse but still an March Madness candidate. OSU will be worse (without Turner) but still Top 3 B10, likely Top 10-15 in the nation. Iowa is going to be around the same. Besides that, everyone else will be better.

I’ll say 6-7 wins with a bunch of hard fought losses. NIT may look likely at some point and then fade late in the season. Hopefully I’m setting the bar too low.