PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Closed Door Scrimmage List - Temple @ PSU

good thread noobd.

two questions :

1. do they report the final scores of these games?

2. out of curiosity, who did we play in the closed door scrimmage in 08-09?

I don’t believe they are allowed by rules to keep a “cumulative” score. I have been told about like games where scores were keep by period BUT then reset by to 0 - 0.

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night that a few years ago we played a three period scrimmage against Bucknell. I believe that these closed scrimmages were always an option, but were little used in favor of the Marathon oil type travelling squads until they were deemed forbidden fruit.

No idea, but I know various things leak.

I was told that based on the discretion of the coaches, that play could be stopped at any reasonable time for instruction to be given. I have no idea how often that would be, but its interesting. Based on that being somewhat truthful, I doubt the score really matters.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:21, topic:1425”]good thread noobd.

two questions :

2. out of curiosity, who did we play in the closed door scrimmage in 08-09?[/quote]

By NCAA regulation, they can not keep score so you won’t see one reported.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:21, topic:1425"]good thread noobd.

two questions :

2. out of curiosity, who did we play in the closed door scrimmage in 08-09?[/quote]

Thanks for the response. How bout question #2? Do you happen to remember who we played in the closed door scrimmage in the 08-09 season?

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:21, topic:1425"]good thread noobd.

two questions :

Thanks for the response. How bout question #2? Do you happen to remember who we played in the closed door scrimmage in the 08-09 season?

I believe that it was Bucknell… that may have been the year before it though.

The secrecy is the content of the scrimmages, not that they are actually happening.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:18, topic:1425"]What strikes me as particularly odd is that we have all of this secrecy about these games and yet a website is listing the 60+ that are coming up.[/quote]

The secrecy is the content of the scrimmages, not that they are actually happening.

My point being if no one can see or know anything about these games what is the purpose of even mentioning they exist?

[quote="pmhewitt, post:18, topic:1425"]What strikes me as particularly odd is that we have all of this secrecy about these games and yet a website is listing the 60+ that are coming up.[/quote]

My point being if no one can see or know anything about these games what is the purpose of even mentioning they exist?

or…where is the proof that they actually do exist? i think we need to get michael moore on the line to link the shadow conspiracy of closed scrimmages to the bush administrations continuation of the vast right wing conspiracy to keep psu basketball down. i’m sure he’ll be ale to edit, um, er, connect the weather related absence at the big ten media day in there as well.

Why would you not mention they exist? We don’t get to sit in on private meetings everywhere, from the white house to wall street… doesn’t mean the fact that they exist is a non-story.

Are you of the opinion that if you don’t see something first hand it doesn’t actually happen? :wink:

so does anyone have a link to the box score? :wink:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/11/02/mbb_practise.aspx

Thanks, Tom. Not sure I really get this line…

The Lions focused on getting the ball up the court faster during Monday’s practice, where DeChellis made it clear during the first five-on-five drill he wanted his wings to be down the court as soon as the offense grabbed hold of possession.

Does the plural use of wings mean there are more than one wing on the court at a time, or is this just for each wing when they are in? If the wings are to be “down the court as soon as possible”, what are the guards doing, getting the rebounds or waiting in the backcourt for the outlet pass(es)? Aren’t fast breaks the quickest when the guards are ahead of the ball and the front line, including “wings” are rebounding the ball? I know the wings are to be downcourt ASAP after the rebound, but securing the rebound is key, and this shouldn’t fall on the guard(s) again. Having your quickest guys rebound slows the break. If the wings are looking to break, they won’t be focused on rebounding, IMO.

Last year it appeared to me that ED’s transition scheme had the big guys blocking out on the defensive boards and the guards (Battle) scooping up the rebounds and hustling down court.

IMO, blocking out(or boxing out) is not to keep your opponent away from the basket til your teammate gets the rebound, but more to keep your opponent further from the basket than you, so you can get the rebound. When the opposing team’s shot goes up, the offense is facing the basket, and is in better position to see where the ball is going to hit/bounce to. The reason for boxing out is not so your teammate can get the rebound, but so your cover can’t run around you and beat you to the ball. By boxing out, you can turn and get a look at where the ball is bouncing to while you’re closer to the basket than your opponent. Boxing out is to give you position to rebound, and once you see where the ball is going to go, run to it, don’t keep the man on your hip any longer than necessary. Go to the ball. Granted, Battle is probably not boxing out as his cover is not crashing the boards, but that doesn’t mean at all that he should beat his bigger teammates to the ball. They’re closer to the hoops when the shot goes up, and they should get there first. He should be looking to break, not rebound. IMO, it’s a misconception that big men keep their men away while smaller guys scoop it up. IMO, our big guys don’t know how to rebound. Rebounding shouldn’t fall on the guards’ shoulders, not if you want to break. That’s why 2-1-2 or 2-3 zones are better for breaking, as the guards are in position to go, being up top. Breaks are supposed to start with a rebound, a short outlet pass to the wing position, and a pass back to center court, and the wing player and the other guard fill the lanes for 3 player attack. If the guards are rebounding, and the wings are breaking ASAP, where’s the short outlet pass to and to whom? IMO, this may be the reason for PSU’s “slowness” on offense. Fast breaks rely on two quick passes(in Bill Walton’s case, one long pass before he hit the ground), not the pg dribbling fullcourt quickly. Gotta get it to halfcourt with two quick passes to be effective. In 2G offense, let’s say the brothers are at guard, they should be both the wing(if the rb on their side) and the center position player(if the rb is not on their side). That won’t happen if what you suggest happened last year happens this year.

Old hoop saying…"You have to rebound to run."
We will see. I like the idea of a more up tempo offense. If nothing else it may give Talor more opportunities to create/shoot. Sometimes teams will play up tempo offense when they have a talent advantage (some pre-conference games) and then cram-up when they play teams with better players (some conference games.) Getting close to game time. We will see.

[quote=“tundra, post:37, topic:1425”]Old hoop saying…"You have to rebound to run."
We will see. I like the idea of a more up tempo offense. If nothing else it may give Talor more opportunities to create/shoot. Sometimes teams will play up tempo offense when they have a talent advantage (some pre-conference games) and then cram-up when they play teams with better players (some conference games.) Getting close to game time. We will see. [/quote]

Good post. Good saying. I hate zone defenses, but 2-1-2 or 2-3, keeping quick players up top, would quicken break, but can this front line rebound? Cram up? We certainly did that last year. I heard some of that happened in Temple scrimmage. Temple is ranked 22nd in some pre-season polls.

I would consider our style to be up-tempo if we are consistently able to get off decent shots with greater than 1-2 seconds on the shot clock.

I think you have the option to rebound well OR to run, unless you are extremely talented and big inside.

We have chosen, under Ed, to mostly rebound pretty well but not run at all. That means 5 guys crashing the boards, and it’s a big part of why Talor has gotten so many boards in his career here. There’s nothing wrong with this, I think rebounding is probably more important than fast break points - especially when you’re talking about more of a secondary break off missed shots most of the time. But we can’t have it all - not with the type of players we generally have inside.

You have to choose - do you want to be a team who gives up a lot of offensive boards in an attempt to get out and score a lot of quick ones yourself, or do you want to force teams to 1 and done and have to earn your point in a half court set?

It’s probably the most basic strategy a coach has to figure out for his program each year. Seems to me like we want it both ways this year, and I’m not sure how that’s going to work given our roster.