Chris Babb Update/Drew Jones OT

1.Chris Babb will be working out/visiting Iowa State this coming Tuesday. Everyone has mixed emotions about him leaving, but we all wish him well.

2.Drew Jones has spent the past 4 days at the 2010 Career in Sports Forum an invite/nomination only event sponsered by the NCAA

"The NCAA Career in Sports Forum (Forum) is a four day event through which selected student-athletes will explore and be educated on careers in sports, with a primary focus on collegiate athletics. This Forum will be provided to participants at no cost. The NCAA will cover airfare, lodging and meals during the Forum. Through the use of dual tracks, participants will examine the key functions of a coach or administrator within sports. Foundational skills such as communication, networking, recruiting, managing culture, transitioning and budgeting will be covered with participants. "

I know that it is more likely the sort of event that will only help Drew on a personal level and what not, but its still great he got invited to attend and was a part of it. I checked out the list, a few Penn Staters, but only out of a few hundered attendees. Drew is a good guy so I’m glad he got to go.

Now that final Spring grades are/will be out I look for many transfer landings. I still think PSU may get one.

Andrew is my “favorite” PSU player. It pains me when so many bash him during the season.

Doesn’t that kind of throw water on the homesick thoughts? Also, Iowa State hasn’t had a winning season since '05-'06, what exactly are they bringing to the table that staying at PSU wouldn’t (other than a new coach)?

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:1166"]1.Chris Babb will be working out/visiting Iowa State this coming Tuesday. Everyone has mixed emotions about him leaving, but we all wish him well.[/quote]

Doesn’t that kind of throw water on the homesick thoughts? Also, Iowa State hasn’t had a winning season since '05-'06, what exactly are they bringing to the table that staying at PSU wouldn’t (other than a new coach)?

The “Homesick” nonsense was already ALL WET.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:1166"]1.Chris Babb will be working out/visiting Iowa State this coming Tuesday. Everyone has mixed emotions about him leaving, but we all wish him well.[/quote]

Doesn’t that kind of throw water on the homesick thoughts?

Not necessarily. The Big 12 is his home conference. He’s originally from Kansas and moved to Texas as a teenager. He’d be a natural to go to a Big 12 conference school (just like I’ve always suggested that PA kids are naturals to go to Big East schools) so that friends and family could often get to see him play.

Not necessarily. The Big 12 is his home conference. He’s originally from Kansas and moved to Texas as a teenager. He’d be a natural to go to a Big 12 conference school (just like I’ve always suggested that PA kids are naturals to go to Big East schools) so that friends and family could often get to see him play.

Ridiculous Lar. Why not Texas Tech or A&M or Rice or Baylor or Houston? But thanks for the analogy reminding us how how smart you are, just don’t wear a hole in your shirt from patting yourself on the back. Don’t you ever get tired of it? Maybe Chris was looking over his shoulder at Taran Buie and thought his playing time may be curtailed.

Ridiculous Lar. Why not Texas Tech or A&M or Rice or Baylor or Houston? But thanks for the analogy reminding us how how smart you are, just don’t wear a hole in your shirt from patting yourself on the back. Don’t you ever get tired of it? Maybe Chris was looking over his shoulder at Taran Buie and thought his playing time may be curtailed.

Holy “look in the mirror” Batman!

What in heaven’s name is all that crap that you post regarding NY basketball anything but gratuitous self promotion on your part? Pretty much every other post out of your keyboard is about how much more you know about basketball than the rest of the world (and the remainder exhibit a disturbing man crush on the Battle/Buie duo).

Quite a long thread on Babb on the ISU forum:

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/85633-chris-babb-8.html

Holy “look in the mirror” Batman!

What in heaven’s name is all that crap that you post regarding NY basketball anything but gratuitous self promotion on your part? Pretty much every other post out of your keyboard is about how much more you know about basketball than the rest of the world (and the remainder exhibit a disturbing man crush on the Battle/Buie duo).

Hijacking the thread again, Lar? Shame on you.

Maybe Babb looks at Iowa State as a way to get to play in the Big 10 without having to pay his own way! ;D

That would be funny if they were part of the expansion and that’s where he transfered to.

Iowa State has only 4 less wins than PSU in the last 5 seasons (79-75). IF Battle didn’t sink that shot against George Mason… ::slight_smile: Iowa State is also 10 hours closer to home than State College. I don’t see the big deal.

Doesn't that kind of throw water on the homesick thoughts? Also, Iowa State hasn't had a winning season since '05-'06, what exactly are they bringing to the table that staying at PSU wouldn't (other than a new coach)?

Iowa State has only 4 less wins than PSU in the last 5 seasons (79-75). IF Battle didn’t sink that shot against George Mason… ::slight_smile: Iowa State is also 10 hours closer to home than State College. I don’t see the big deal.

I can’t tell if you are trying to be sarcastic with you “closer to home” comment or not.

Here’s the specifics about Babb playing in the Big 12.

Babb is originally from Lawrence KS. He moved to the Dallas area as a teenager. While his immediate family is in Arlington, he has extended family and friends in Kansas.

If he goes to a B12 school, he will have family (immediate or extended) easily within driving distance when he plays at almost all Big 12 schools.

Texas (199 miles), Texas Tech (329), Texas A&M (184), Baylor (98), Oklahoma (197), and Oklahoma State (275) are easily drivable from Arlington.

Iowa State (270 miles), Kansas (0), Kansas State (83), Oklahoma St (270), Nebraska (195) and Missouri (169) are easily drivable from Lawrence.

Only Colorado is an outlier within the Big 12. That’s why I consider the Big 12 a home conference for Babb and why going to ANY B12 school means he will effectively be a lot closer to home.

Every one of those drives is shorter than one from State College to the nearest Big Ten town, Columbus. If a State College kid were playing a game at Ohio State, do you think his family would have any problem getting to see him? I don’t. Nor do I think that someone from Babb’s family will have a problem making almost any Big Twelve game he plays. While he was here in State College, he had no family at games and the effect of that shouldn’t be minimized on a homesick kid.

I wouldn’t consider anything over 200 miles to be “easily drivable”. But the Big XII schools are certainly much closer than anything in the Big Ten. Plenty of schools still on what I’d consider to be the “easily drivable” list.

Some discussions are past “naive” …they are just plain “foolish.” BUT “Foolish” is NOT really the best description…It’s equal with watching day-time TV. Nuff said.

Please Please Please

Fair enough. I guess it comes from personal experience. When I lived in CT (Darien and Stamford) I used to make the trip to State College all the time for many hoops games. According to Google maps, that’s about a 280 mile trip and it seemed fairly easy to me.

Lar, I wasn’t being sarcastic. Arlington -> State College = 21 hours~ , Arlington -> Iowa State = 11 hours~. Didn’t know his immediate family lived in Kansas; that would help the “closer to home” case even more…

IMO, the geography argument is ludicrous. 329 miles is drivable? If that were the case, PSU would draw from about half the national population.

If I had to venture why Chris left, I’d say because he wasn’t the star, and the star’s brother was coming in. I saw this at Maginn. Two kids, both JV, ended up leaving rather than play guard on a team with Talor Battle. They went to lesser programs, and both starred, actually both were the best players on their new teams. The two that left saw the handwriting on the wall, Talor then Taran. I think this situation more likely for Chris’ desire to transfer than being closer to home. Not necessarily a dumb move on Chris’ part, IMO. He gets another year, and may be “the” ISU star. Being the second or third scorer on a PSU team with its recent record not so hot for playing at the next level. Chris was also a big fish in a small pond in HS.

This from the PSU website shows there were closer schools who initially recruited. Why not Baylor? Would have saved on gas. Could make that trip for every home game.
…Babb chose Penn State over Iowa and was also recruited by Iowa State, New Mexico, Kansas State, Baylor, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Tulsa and Bradley among others

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:18, topic:1166”]IMO, the geography argument is ludicrous. 329 miles is drivable? If that were the case, PSU would draw from about half the national population.

If I had to venture why Chris left, I’d say because he wasn’t the star, and the star’s brother was coming in. I saw this at Maginn. Two kids, both JV, ended up leaving rather than play guard on a team with Talor Battle. They went to lesser programs, and both starred, actually both were the best players on their new teams. The two that left saw the handwriting on the wall, Talor then Taran. I think this situation more likely for Chris’ desire to transfer than being closer to home. Not necessarily a dumb move on Chris’ part, IMO. He gets another year, and may be “the” ISU star. Being the second or third scorer on a PSU team with its recent record not so hot for playing at the next level. Chris was also a big fish in a small pond in HS.

This from the PSU website shows there were closer schools who initially recruited. Why not Baylor? Would have saved on gas. Could make that trip for every home game.
…Babb chose Penn State over Iowa and was also recruited by Iowa State, New Mexico, Kansas State, Baylor, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Tulsa and Bradley among others [/quote]

Because you don’t realize how homesick you are until you actually leave town (besides we also don’t know if any of the other schools ever offered).

[quote="kidcoyote, post:18, topic:1166"]IMO, the geography argument is ludicrous. 329 miles is drivable? If that were the case, PSU would draw from about half the national population.

…Babb chose Penn State over Iowa and was also recruited by Iowa State, New Mexico, Kansas State, Baylor, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Tulsa and Bradley among others [/quote]

Because you don’t realize how homesick you are until you actually leave town (besides we also don’t know if any of the other schools ever offered).

The only thing that makes the homesick idea difficult for me to believe is why after his sophomore year? I was homesick the first semester of my freshman year – but not at all homesick once I made a bunch of friends. Of course there could be other personal issues causing the homesickness that we don’t know about. So let’s not doubt the kid.

As for distance, sometimes being within a reasonable drive makes all the difference in the world. In my army career, I was far more “homesick” in Oklahoma than I was in Indianapolis – even though both are too far away for a day trip.