Chris Babb transfers to Iowa State

http://www.heartlandconnection.com/sports/story.aspx?id=459278

Good for Chris… Enjoy playing for the Mayor.

Chris is making moves, awesome. I hope the best for him… now, let’s get ISU on our sched in 2 seasons.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=204948244

In the video I found it interesting that Chris saw himself being able to attack the basket and get to the free throw line. While he is much larger than some players at his position, I was suprised that we never saw that from him. I’m sure it had to do with the offense, but it makes me wonder if Chris wanted a bigger role in that aspect of the game and wasn’t given it.

that being said…talor or babb to the rim…I know who I’d pick

A red-shirt year with Hoiberg should really help Babb. Hoiberg REALLY knows how to play the game!

[quote=“NGameday, post:4, topic:1178”]http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=204948244

In the video I found it interesting that Chris saw himself being able to attack the basket and get to the free throw line. While he is much larger than some players at his position, I was suprised that we never saw that from him. I’m sure it had to do with the offense, but it makes me wonder if Chris wanted a bigger role in that aspect of the game and wasn’t given it.

that being said…talor or babb to the rim…I know who I’d pick[/quote]

Well, Chris prefaced that about attacking by saying he’d use this year to work on his ball handling which would allow him to do that. I think that’s what stops guys from doing that, they don’t have the confidence in their handle, and even if they beat their man are afraid someone else will slap the ball away, then they’ll have to beat a big helping out. If you don’t have the confident handle, there’s too much to do and think about. I think that stopped Frazier this past season, so he could really develop his handle. Pre-season, he stated people better get out of the way if he was going down the lane, well, he found it’s not so easy, but if his handle really improves, and IMO, it was at least as good as Chris’ was, he could really be something with that speed and ups. I do expect Taran will be the best at finishing at the rim. That’s been the strongest part of his offensive game, and mid-range pull ups. Not the trey machine Chris was though. Not many can drain 3’s like that. Moon shots.

I was VERY surprised by the Babb video. I thought he would talk for minutes/hours about how great it was to moving so close to home! ;D
I wonder if they have “real cows” in Iowa?

Forget cows, Iowa is one big corn field, easily one of the most boring states to drive in/thru/around.

While driving thru Iowa we stopped and visited a “corn field maze.” Actually the “maze” was kind of fun.

[quote="Mrm170, post:8, topic:1178"]Forget cows, Iowa is one big corn field, easily one of the most boring states to drive in/thru/around.[/quote]

While driving thru Iowa we stopped and visited a “corn field maze.” Actually the “maze” was kind of fun.

So it was a Maize Maze? Cool.

[quote="Mrm170, post:8, topic:1178"]Forget cows, Iowa is one big corn field, easily one of the most boring states to drive in/thru/around.[/quote]

Guess you could say, “it was an amazing maize maze.” Don’t know if any Kurt Vonnegut Jr. fans here, but in “Sirens of Titans” he had a chapter titled Tent Rentals which opened like this;

Tent Rentals

rented a tent
rented a tent
rented a rented a tent

Got a kick out of that.

Guess you could say, “it was an amazing maize maze.” Don’t know if any Kurt Vonnegut Jr. fans here, but in “Sirens of Titans” he had a chapter titled Tent Rentals which opened like this;

Tent Rentals

rented a tent
rented a tent
rented a rented a tent

Got a kick out of that.

Since this thread was already “jacked”…I was a big fan of Breakfast of Champions and Cat’s Cradle. I didn’t like Slaughterhouse 5 as much. Need to read another of his sometime soon.

To try to steer it back, Hoiberg’s a new coach at the school, right? He’s described as one of NBA’s all time great shooters. That may be a stretch, but his numbers are solid, and an 85% FT shooter, 39.6% from the arc over 10 seasons and about 10,000 minutes played. Should be able to help Chris a lot. Smart move on Chris’ part. He gets another year to hone his craft, and develop into potential pro, and from somebody who can probably really help him work on his game.

Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean you can teach it. They are far far different skills.

Didn’t mean to steer everyone onto corn with my comment…

I hope Chris does well at ISU and has a chance to play, improve his game (if he could develop dribble drive he’d be tough to guard), and get his degree. He might get a chance to play overseas after school, who knows. Of course if PA makes him homesick, playing overseas might not be his cup of tea (a paycheck might change his feelings?).

[quote=“Mrm170, post:15, topic:1178”]Didn’t mean to steer everyone onto corn with my comment…

I hope Chris does well at ISU and has a chance to play, improve his game (if he could develop dribble drive he’d be tough to guard), and get his degree. He might get a chance to play overseas after school, who knows. Of course if PA makes him homesick, playing overseas might not be his cup of tea (a paycheck might change his feelings?).[/quote]

You mean we didn’t have boosters paying him to come here??!??

I tried but I can’t get cows out of my head. Did anyone see the 1984 movie “The River?” Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. I thought it was one of the worst movies I ever saw. But the reason I mention it was the recurring footage of cows crossing a flooded river. It seems like they fit in footage of the cows in MANY places ( TOO MANY ) throughout the movie. Most everything else of the movie I have “blacked out.”

By the way, I goggled it. They are cows in Iowa. So, maybe ISU reminded him of PSU. Knew there had to be a connection.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:13, topic:1178"]To try to steer it back, Hoiberg's a new coach at the school, right? He's described as one of NBA's all time great shooters. That may be a stretch, but his numbers are solid, and an 85% FT shooter, 39.6% from the arc over 10 seasons and about 10,000 minutes played. Should be able to help Chris a lot. Smart move on Chris' part. He gets another year to hone his craft, and develop into potential pro, and from somebody who can probably really help him work on his game.[/quote]

Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean you can teach it. They are far far different skills.

Good point. In many sports, the best coaches are often secondary players. Phil Jackson, a bench player his whole pro career, a good example. Some high profile players, like Magic and Bill Russell had some trouble. In baseball, Ted Williams struggled. I remember Denny McClain said Williams thought everybody should be able to hit .400. Walt Alston and Lasorda, marginal players, were pretty darned good managers. For any baseball coach dads out there, BTW, Walt Alston’s book is fabulous.

Hijacking the thread again, doh, let’s get back to corn, er, I mean Chris. Still a good move by Chris. He needs to work on his handle, getting to the basket. At 6’5", it’s an option he should have in his game. Even he admitted when he arrived at PSU that his school comp did not prepare him for defensive play in the Big 10. The extra year will help him significantly, IMO. Of course, Tre Bowman didn’t sign til after Chris announced he was leaving, but Marshall and Buie and Frazier may have created playing issues for Chris as well, maybe just this year, til Talor left, but maybe an issue.

Where did all the sarcastic “hi-jacking” comments start? I don’t consider a thread “hi-jacked” unless it is intentionally done to push an agenda. Otherwise, it’s just a tangent.

Quote from his Twitter:

Everything is goin as right, as it can… they tryna shoot down my flight, before it lands… but u can miss me with all that :slight_smile: