Chris Babb Transferring

That certainly wasn’t one of the scholarships I expected to open up.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/03/chris_babb_will_transfer_out_o.html

Well…wow.

Definitely disappointing and surprising news, but not necessarily a disaster.

We should be able to cover the #2 guard position with Taran Buie, Jermaine Marshall and Cammeron Woodyard. Of course, Marshall and Woodyard can occasionally rotate over to #3. And we could run a guard lineup with Frazier at the point and Battle at the #2, as we did occasionally this year.

I’ve felt all season long that we had one too many #2/#3 guards. Now ED can use Ott’s (?) and Babb’s scholarship for up to two #4/#5 players this spring, if he can find some quality at this late date.

It will be interesting to see the reasons Babb’s dad gives for his son’s transfer. This may well take some coin off of ED’s ledger with Curley, and ED probably didn’t have much left in the bank with Curley after this season, anyway.

I wonder who the next one will be. Any thoughts on the state of the program from those who still think Ed should be here?

Well we’re now hitting worst case scenario territory here. The way things are going we could be looking at Dunn exodus part deux. :frowning:

This feels like we just lost another game without even playing one…grrr.

Regardless of what you think of Ed or anyone else, I was really looking forward to watching Chris refine his game and play next year. This sucks.

Not good news at all. A considerable setback for the program, and a pretty surprising one at that. If we were doing a fantasy draft of players you thought wouldn’t return to Penn State, he probably wouldn’t have been in the first 6-7 picks.

Looks like Buie could step right into a starting spot.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:3, topic:1004”]Definitely disappointing and surprising news, but not necessarily a disaster.

We should be able to cover the #2 guard position with Taran Buie, Jermaine Marshall and Cammeron Woodyard. Of course, Marshall and Woodyard can occasionally rotate over to #3. And we could run a guard lineup with Frazier at the point and Battle at the #2, as we did occasionally this year.

I’ve felt all season long that we had one too many #2/#3 guards. Now ED can use Ott’s (?) and Babb’s scholarship for up to two #4/#5 players this spring, if he can find some quality at this late date. [/quote]

I mean, I want to agree with you. I really do. But this team sure didn’t have many guys who could put the ball in the basket and Babb was one who showed that capability. Woodyard and those two newcomers are unknowns in my opinion (though I certainly have high hopes for Buie).

Penn State was at its best when Babb was there spotting up. Sure, he was one dimensional, but that was a much needed dimension. I also commend him for showing improvement on defense. It’s a tough loss for sure.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:3, topic:1004”]Definitely disappointing and surprising news, but not necessarily a disaster.

I’ve felt all season long that we had one too many #2/#3 guards. Now ED can use Ott’s (?) and Babb’s scholarship for up to two #4/#5 players this spring, if he can find some quality at this late date.

It will be interesting to see the reasons Babb’s dad gives for his son’s transfer. This may well take some coin off of ED’s ledger with Curley, and ED probably didn’t have much left in the bank with Curley after this season, anyway. [/quote]

Spin it any way you want. A team that won 3 league games last season just lost its second best player.

Well ■■■■.

This is really unfortunate. Hopefully he’s making the right decision. I just have to wounder where he’s gonna go where he gets more minutes and has more success.

Is anyone else getting that sick feeling of deja vu?

Curley is never going to get it done as an AD and has been riding JoePa’s coattails all this time. To my knowledge not one of his hires have improved upon the situation that they came into. Beth Alford-Sullivan is making strides but the Men’s T&F program has taken a step back and I exclude wrestling because I feel that hire was more due to Sanderson’s vision and boosters picking up the slack.

Basketball has gotten worse under his watch. Women’s soccer hasn’t been the NCAA tourney power it once was. Every coach in our program we associate with success predates his tenure and once Joe retires what then.

Before we start placing blame on DeChellis, I just don’t think Chris was ever happy here. I would bet this isn’t a basketball decision.

At least Babb and his father have a vision. Tim Curley certainly doesn’t.

11-20 certainly didn’t help. :wink:

Wow…shocking. Chris had really improved his game through out the year.

Eric I know your not an Ed apologist but if he wasn’t happy hear then why drag it out. It’s up to Ed provide an environment that keeps these young men happy and if we were winning I doubt Chris wouldn’t be transferring.

Kids transfer all the time for more playing time, ailing family members, better programs etc. homesickness is usually the secondary reason. It’s obvious that the players’ patience with this program and coach are wearing thin and if a key guy like Chris transfers some might rethink their options.

Shocking? A little. It was a horrendous year. And it’s not like we haven’t seen transfers under Ed before. A lot of people just turned a blind eye to it. In all honesty he should have been fired after his 4th season

True, but this still is the kind of thing that would would turn me from supporting ED to hoping we look elsewhere.

We don’t have enough talent to lose guys like this. Best defender and best spot up shooter. If this is an isolated incident, okay. But any more transfers, or decommits, would indicate a serious problem.

I think our odds of a tourney trip went from 40-50% to 20-30%.

My money is on homesickness. That’s all I’m saying. Don’t see the reason to throw DeChellis under the bus for this particular case.

HOWEVER, he sure has one hell of a steep hill to climb next year. This cannot be used as an excuse.