PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Charles Barkley's NCAA violation

I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten a lot more attention:

Charles Barkley says he borrowed money from agents while at Auburn

Barkley said. "I got money from agents when I was in college and I went in the '80s. Most of the players I know borrowed money from agents. "

…and this has barely caused a ripple in the sports news.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:1354”]I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten a lot more attention:

…and this has barely caused a ripple in the sports news.[/quote]

I doubt anyone who could be held responsible is still in a position of authority. 25 years is a long time.

Great point Skeeza. I think agent pay-outs/loans are still pretty common at some/maybe many schools. I feel many players think like Barkley…that "what is wrong with it?? and… it is only “chump change.” Of course many 20 year olds in our society think they are entitled to drive a new SUV.
The kids also see their coaches make very big paychecks.

Stuff like that was happening all over the place back then and in some regard still does.

Funny story…Hubie Brown, one of the great storytellers of his or any generation, once told me that he went to visit his daughter who was an undergrad at Auburn back in the early 80’s. Hubie stopped by to visit his close friend, Sonny Smith, then the Auburn head coach. Sonny told Hubie that he had a big problem. He has this freshman who is overweight, does his own thing in practice, won’t listen to the coaches, gets in fights with his teammates, etc, etc. Well, Hubie in his patented blunt way of saying things says to Sonny. “Well kick the mother bleeper off the team.” Sonny said it was not so easy as he’s by far the best player on the team.

That night, Hubie attended the freshman vs upper classmen scrimmage that Sonny put on and watched this freshman absolutely dominate in every aspect of the game. In Hubie’s words, he was not only the best player on the court that night, but one of the best collegiate players Hubie had laid eyes upon.

Hubie goes to Sonny Smith after the scrimmage and says “Sonny, you’re right, you have a problem”

By now you can all guess that that freshman was indeed Charles Barkley.

He was, is and will always be my favorite basketball player. But as great of a player as he was, he’s even a better person.

I for one am not surprised that he took $$$ from an agent to tell you the truth.

Saying Charles was “overweight” in college is quite the understatement!! :wink:
I remember the nicknames…Round Mound of Rebound…and… Bread Truck

He was HUGE…maybe someone can find a photo.

Found this article from SI back in 1984 that has a list of his nicknames…

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121839/index.htm

And this little ditty…

At Tennessee, someone dressed as a Domino's Pizza deliveryman approached Barkley in the pregame layup line to take his order.

:smiley:

I say have at it. Let them get the money since they’re going to get it anyway and make them pay their way through school. This hits me the same way these lawsuits about players having the right to be paid do. Just give them the money and start making them pay the G’s that the rest of us have to so that scholarship money can be given to people who truly deserve it.

The “amateur” system is flawed and it’s about time we face reality like the rest of the world.

I remember the 1984 Olympic team. Bobby Knight was the coach. I remember some controversy because Barkley was cut during try outs. USA won the gold BUT the USSR and other countries boycotted the games.

Below is the list of team members:
USA)

Steve Alford
Leon Wood
Patrick Ewing
Vernon Fleming
Alvin Robertson
Michael Jordan
Joe Kleine
Jon Koncak
Wayman Tisdale
Chris Mullin
Sam Perkins
Jeff Turner

[quote=“tundra, post:8, topic:1354”]I remember the 1984 Olympic team. Bobby Knight was the coach. I remember some controversy because Barkley was cut during try outs. USA won the gold BUT the USSR and other countries boycotted the games.

Below is the list of team members:
USA)

Steve Alford
Leon Wood
Patrick Ewing
Vernon Fleming
Alvin Robertson
Michael Jordan
Joe Kleine
Jon Koncak
Wayman Tisdale
Chris Mullin
Sam Perkins
Jeff Turner[/quote]

That’s quite a roster. A lot of years in the NBA. Alford is coaching. Leon Wood is an NBA ref. Even Jeff Turner played double digit years in the Association.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:1354”]Found this article from SI back in 1984 that has a list of his nicknames…

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121839/index.htm[/quote]
Great read. Thanks, I enjoyed it

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:1354”]Saying Charles was “overweight” in college is quite the understatement!! :wink:
I remember the nicknames…Round Mound of Rebound…and… Bread Truck

He was HUGE…maybe someone can find a photo.[/quote]

…and now, the name “bread truck” has a new meaning. ;D

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:1354"]I'm surprised this hasn't gotten a lot more attention:

…and this has barely caused a ripple in the sports news.[/quote]

I doubt anyone who could be held responsible is still in a position of authority. 25 years is a long time.

How long after Chris Webber got a loan was Michigan put on probation?

I know it wasn’t 25 years, but it was quite a while.