PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Chambers Presser today

Courtesy of NittanyLionsDen.com

Penn State Caravan (2012) - Pat Chambers

Good interview by PC. I thought he did well fielding a tough group of questions!!

I’m really optimistic about this guy, and already worried about keeping him around. Hopefully what we saw with Coquese will be the new pattern. And hopefully he will find that he and his family like State College and Penn State.

And we need to show some support. He understands that, too: “Now it’s the cool thing to do.” - That’s the whole thing.

Liked the presser, keep working it Pat!

I was interested in how Chambers handled the question of competition from the new ice hockey program. Of course, he gave the politically correct answer, proclaiming himself a hockey fan.

My sense is that the Penn State/Centre Region community will support a winner, and if both programs win, both programs will have satisfactory attendance. We’re building some great winter options for the college sports fan. Guy Gadowski’s program could take a pounding for a couple years until recruiting and experience are built up to a high Div I level, and hopefully, the enthusiasm won’t have dried up by then.

We’ve brought some impressive new coaches into the Penn State fold in the last couple years. Despite the toxic residue of the Sandusky Scandal, I’ve never been this optimistic about the near-term future of Penn State sports across the board.

Thanks for Sharing, Eric! His comments on the Giant Center were new for me. He joked that it might not be as easy to play the Philly schools in a few years… That might bring some openings to play at a neutral site like Hershey or even Wilkes-Barre. I guess we’ll have to see.

Can’t see the appeal for playing in Hershey or Wilkes-Barre. AT ALL!

Thanks for Sharing, Eric! His comments on the Giant Center were new for me. He joked that it might not be as easy to play the Philly schools in a few years... That might bring some openings to play at a neutral site like Hershey or even Wilkes-Barre. I guess we'll have to see.
Can't see the appeal for playing in Hershey or Wilkes-Barre. AT ALL!
If they would play in Hershey against a Philly team they would probably pack the place. Great arena for a basketball game.

Thanks for Sharing, Eric! His comments on the Giant Center were new for me. He joked that it might not be as easy to play the Philly schools in a few years... That might bring some openings to play at a neutral site like Hershey or even Wilkes-Barre. I guess we'll have to see.
Can't see the appeal for playing in Hershey or Wilkes-Barre. AT ALL!

It might sell the program to people who otherwise would not make the two hour trip.

I think we would be lucky to get 1,000 in attendence in Hershey!

Question - Why not play a Pittsburgh team at St. Francis ( about half way??) Answer - Because no fans would attend the game!

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:3272”]I think we would be lucky to get 1,000 in attendence in Hershey!

Question - Why not play a Pittsburgh team at St. Francis ( about half way??) Answer - Because no fans would attend the game![/quote] I think you are dead wrong on this one Tundra. If they could get one of the big 5 schools to play at the Giant center I think they could draw a pretty big crowd. You would get a lot of people from central pa and im sure some big 5 fans/psu fans from philly as well.

PSU actually played several non con games in Hershey @ the old Hersheypark Arena when Bruce Parkhill was the head coach, including games vs. Maryland, Temple, & Penn. Unfortunately attendance was not very good for those games. Hopfully future games at the Giant Center in Hershey would draw more fans especially since PSU should draw more fans now as a BT team than they did years ago as a A10 team.

Dick Harter, too. Saw Albert King’s Maryland team, Penn State lost by one.

In those days, we couldn’t even get coverage in Harrisburg… so it served a purpose. I agree that we shouldn’t do it unless it was strategic.

I don’t think we can mythologize attendance for non-con games at other schools. It’s not like a Big 5 team takes a heap of fans on the road, even to Hershey.

Chambers is just good.

And Hershey would be beyond cool.

Rec Hall feels like a dying dream.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:3272"][b]I think we would be lucky to get 1,000 in attendence in Hershey![/b]

Question - Why not play a Pittsburgh team at St. Francis ( about half way??) Answer - Because no fans would attend the game![/quote] I think you are dead wrong on this one Tundra. If they could get one of the big 5 schools to play at the Giant center I think they could draw a pretty big crowd. You would get a lot of people from central pa and im sure some big 5 fans/psu fans from philly as well.

OK, way2… hope you are correct (if we play in the Giant Center.) BUT, I would rather us get our bjc house in order (attendance wise) first!

Why can’t the bjc be “cool?”

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:3272"][b]I think we would be lucky to get 1,000 in attendence in Hershey![/b]

OK, way2… hope you are correct (if we play in the Giant Center.) BUT, I would rather us get our bjc house in order (attendance wise) first!

Maybe someday playing the Giant Center will be like when the football team plays temple in Phily… A chance to have a “home game” on the road for folks who can’t get tickets to the home games. :wink:

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:3272”]I think we would be lucky to get 1,000 in attendence in Hershey!

Question - Why not play a Pittsburgh team at St. Francis ( about half way??) Answer - Because no fans would attend the game![/quote]

I think tundra is closer to the number then the more optimistic ones are. I know plenty of people in the Harrisburg/Hershey area who went to Penn State, but would not go to the Giant Center for a basketball game. Besides, the goal is to get them to go to the Bryce Jordan Center, not the Giant Center.

Maybe someday playing the Giant Center will be like when the football team plays temple in Phily… A chance to have a “home game” on the road for folks who can’t get tickets to the home games. :wink:

It would also be a positive bump in the RPI, seeing how it would be a ‘nuetral’ site game.

So here’s an intersting questions. If the Philly schools shy away from us in a few years, would they play us only on their home court?

And if that’s the case, would Pat do that?

And if that’s the case, would Pat do that?

No way he should do that. There is no reason that any Philly team should hold that power. 1-1 or screw it.