PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Chambers needs to play ball with AAU coaches

Penn State’s reluctance to deal with the AAU coaches who so frequently control a prospect’s future has been the major reason for the Lions’ inability to bring in top prospects.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-pennstate/Chambers-needs-to-play-ball-with-AAU-coaches.html

Talk to local amateur coaches, or to observers of the recruiting scene, and they’ll tell you Penn State is invisible in AAU circles. No one, in fact, can remember ever seeing a Penn State coach at a major AAU event.

[quote=“Locksmith”]Wanted to see the “Philly Factor” and how it reflected on the Villanova roster. From the 2005-2006 to 2010-2011 season only 6 Philly guys played for Nova.

Kyle Lowry
Shane Clark
Bilal Benn – later transferred to Niagara
Reggie Redding
Andrew Ott
Maalik Wayns

3 played for PSU

Ben Luber
Andrew Jones
Andrew Ott

So a Philadelphia based Big East school brought in 3 more players (one transferred) than PSU. Chambers recruited only one of those, Wayns. His sales panache must have impressed the folks in Philly.
PSU coaches must have attended a few more tournaments than this reporter states. Shoddy journalism at best.[/quote]

Two transferred – the other is the player on both lists above.

Would Don McKee recognize Dan Earl if Earl backed into him in the Dunk’n Donuts parking lot? Does Don McKee even leave the office for a donut, or does he send a clerk or intern?

Are any of the PSU examples better than the Villanova examples? Ott was a free up a scholarship transfer for Villanova.

Jay Wright has never made a living off Philadelphia because he can recruit the New York, New Jersey and Maryland area just as well.

It doesn’t matter what area you are talking about, Don McKee(Penn State Grad) is right, you need to have connections with the AAU coaches to win.

Gary Williams didn’t like the AAU scene either which is why he missed the NCAA tournament several times toward the end of his career despite all the talent surrounding him.

The BEST thing the NCAA could ever due for college athletics in general and college basketball in particular would be to ban any contact between college coaches and AAU coaches and AAU events, at least on the men’s side. The men’s side of AAU is populated by seedy, wannabe coaches who know little about the sport of basketball and rarely have the best interest of the kids in mind. They are looking to rub elbows with or get positions with the “big timers.” Prep basketball needs to be put back in the hands of high school coaches who at least (usually) have some amount of coaching experience, whose paycheck or reputation doesn’t depend on where he sends his players.

The women’s side is a bit different. A large number of girls AAU coaches are actually high school coaches looking to get their players some off season playing experience because they are trying to make their high school program better.

Boys AAU basketball is perhaps the dirtiest business in all of sport.

[quote=“billtown, post:6, topic:2496”]The BEST thing the NCAA could ever due for college athletics in general and college basketball in particular would be to ban any contact between college coaches and AAU coaches and AAU events, at least on the men’s side. The men’s side of AAU is populated by seedy, wannabe coaches who know little about the sport of basketball and rarely have the best interest of the kids in mind. They are looking to rub elbows with or get positions with the “big timers.” Prep basketball needs to be put back in the hands of high school coaches who at least (usually) have some amount of coaching experience, whose paycheck or reputation doesn’t depend on where he sends his players.

The women’s side is a bit different. A large number of girls AAU coaches are actually high school coaches looking to get their players some off season playing experience because they are trying to make their high school program better.

Boys AAU basketball is perhaps the dirtiest business in all of sport.[/quote]

I was about to tsay the same thing.

AAU is dirt. If you want the PSU program to get dirty, this is the path you want to take.

It’s a cesspool.

What does McKee imply when he says that Penn State needs to “play ball” with AAU coaches. Get to know them, show up at AAU events? Maybe. Hire AAU coaches to Chambers’ staff so they bring top recruits with them? No thanks. Grease access with a little under-the-table cash to an AAU coach? No thanks. Hire an AAU coach as a Penn State BB camp instructor? Only if they can really coach.

In short, if the AAU coach has his hand out and is asking, “What’s in it for me?,” run away. I’d rather we be perpetually mediocre.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:2496”]What does McKee imply when he says that Penn State needs to “play ball” with AAU coaches. Get to know them, show up at AAU events? Maybe. Hire AAU coaches to Chambers’ staff so they bring top recruits with them? No thanks. Grease access with a little under-the-table cash to an AAU coach? No thanks. Hire an AAU coach as a Penn State BB camp instructor? Only if they can really coach.

In short, if the AAU coach has his hand out and is asking, “What’s in it for me?,” run away. I’d rather we be perpetually mediocre. [/quote]

Well put.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:2496”]What does McKee imply when he says that Penn State needs to “play ball” with AAU coaches. Get to know them, show up at AAU events? Maybe. Hire AAU coaches to Chambers’ staff so they bring top recruits with them? No thanks. Grease access with a little under-the-table cash to an AAU coach? No thanks. Hire an AAU coach as a Penn State BB camp instructor? Only if they can really coach.

In short, if the AAU coach has his hand out and is asking, “What’s in it for me?,” run away. I’d rather we be perpetually mediocre. [/quote]

Agree, and it seems to me he meant the former, especially considering this quote:

Talk to local amateur coaches, or to observers of the recruiting scene, and they’ll tell you Penn State is invisible in AAU circles. No one, in fact, can remember ever seeing a Penn State coach at a major AAU event.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:2496"]What does McKee imply when he says that Penn State needs to "play ball" with AAU coaches. Get to know them, show up at AAU events? Maybe. Hire AAU coaches to Chambers' staff so they bring top recruits with them? No thanks. Grease access with a little under-the-table cash to an AAU coach? No thanks. Hire an AAU coach as a Penn State BB camp instructor? Only if they can really coach.

In short, if the AAU coach has his hand out and is asking, “What’s in it for me?,” run away. I’d rather we be perpetually mediocre.[/quote]

Well put.

Of course all of the opinions stated here assume a premise that AAU is dirty and AAU coaches are dirty. Personally, I doubt that generalization is true, therefore the premise is probably flawed. If the premise is flawed, so are the conclusions drawn from the premise.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:2496"]What does McKee imply when he says that Penn State needs to "play ball" with AAU coaches. Get to know them, show up at AAU events? Maybe. Hire AAU coaches to Chambers' staff so they bring top recruits with them? No thanks. Grease access with a little under-the-table cash to an AAU coach? No thanks. Hire an AAU coach as a Penn State BB camp instructor? Only if they can really coach.

In short, if the AAU coach has his hand out and is asking, “What’s in it for me?,” run away. I’d rather we be perpetually mediocre.[/quote]

Well put.

Of course all of the opinions stated here assume a premise that AAU is dirty and AAU coaches are dirty. Personally, I doubt that generalization is true, therefore the premise is probably flawed. If the premise is flawed, so are the conclusions drawn from the premise.

Well I have to deal with the AAU scene in my profession and I can tell you it is very dirty. Therefore mine is an opinion formed from personal knowledge. On a side not your Logic Professor would have been proud of your argument.

[quote=“billtown, post:6, topic:2496”]The BEST thing the NCAA could ever due for college athletics in general and college basketball in particular would be to ban any contact between college coaches and AAU coaches and AAU events, at least on the men’s side. The men’s side of AAU is populated by seedy, wannabe coaches who know little about the sport of basketball and rarely have the best interest of the kids in mind. They are looking to rub elbows with or get positions with the “big timers.” Prep basketball needs to be put back in the hands of high school coaches who at least (usually) have some amount of coaching experience, whose paycheck or reputation doesn’t depend on where he sends his players.

Boys AAU basketball is perhaps the dirtiest business in all of sport.[/quote]

+1

It’s a shame you only have 29 posts to this site (as opposed to my 1229 of pure gibberish).

I have seen AAU coaches who represent both sides of the fence. I thought on the boys side in PA they recently stopped allowing high school coaches to coach AAU as a means to police high school coaches from persuading kids on their AAU team to attend their high school.