PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Chambers Mojo

I’m not one to start 2 threads in a day, but I’ve got to say the past week or so of Chambers has me impressed. Don’t you just get the feeling this guy knows what he is doing?

If your judging solely on his mantra of attitude then yes but let’s temper our enthusiasm until after his first season. He’s got a tough job ahead of him and for the record I think he’s a guy who can get it done but there’s gonna be bumps along the way.

The Next Stretch - @ Iowa, B1G Tournament

I think Chambers likes college kids. That will help him recruit fans and players.

JoePa has that, too. He just gets a kick out of them. It’s not just about being a “ball coach” or being a dictator (although Joe has a lot of that in him, too). It’s about hanging out with young people.

I’m glad people are excited about him, I just can’t help feeling like I’ve got to wait and see what happens. It’s easy to say the right things. Everybody can say the right things. But this is a tough gig he’s taking over, one I’ve argued might be the toughest position in college hoops.

I think he’s the right kind of hire, but I still only give him about a 10 percent chance of actually getting this program to the next level. That’s not an insult, I would give the same chances to almost anybody we brought in. Most would be lower, really. It’s just THAT difficult a task he has ahead of him, no matter what the tundras of the world want us to believe.

Let’s hope he can do it. I’ll be cheering for him as loud as anyone. :slight_smile:

2003–2004 Penn State 9–19 3–13
2004–2005 Penn State 7–23 1–15
2005–2006 Penn State 15–15 6–10
2006–2007 Penn State 11–19 2–14
2007–2008 Penn State 15–16 7-11
2008–2009 Penn State 27–11 10-8
2009–2010 Penn State 11–20 3–15
2010–2011 Penn State 19–15 9–9

I give Chambers about a 10% chance of doing worse than that so technically it won’t be that hard for Chambers to take Penn State to the next level. The next level for Penn State isn’t getting to the Final 4, it’s having a winning record in the Big Ten more than 1 time.

Any job is a difficult job when you continually employ people that can’t recruit.

Are you going to tell me that if Curley had gotten Jay Wright 10 years ago that Jay wouldn’t have gotten good players to come Penn State? Please.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:5, topic:2524”]2003–2004 Penn State 9–19 3–13

I give Chambers about a 10% chance of doing worse than that so technically it won’t be that hard for Chambers to take Penn State to the next level. The next level for Penn State isn’t getting to the Final 4, it’s having a winning record in the Big Ten more than 1 time.

Any job is a difficult job when you continually employ people that can’t recruit.

Are you going to tell me that if Curley had gotten Jay Wright 10 years ago that Jay wouldn’t have gotten good players to come Penn State? Please.[/quote]

DeChellis got Danny Morrissey to turn down Florida State and Ohio State to come here. Battle, Buie and Brooks were all included in the espn top 100 and rivals top 150 lists. Pringle, Cornley, Claxton, Frazier; I doubt you’d argue that any of them are or were scrubs. And then there was Staten, who would’ve been the highest-rated prospect we’ve had in at least the last 10 years if Ed were still here.

Ed was far from the being the best recruiter out there, and lord knows he struggled to establish himself in the philly area in the way we all hoped he would. But he was hardly as bad as you make him out to be. Besides, he’s gone now, so I don’t see why you have to keep taking potshots at him in every other post you make. I mean, you were the one who implied in an older thread that the DeChellis fans should let it go, but you’re the one who keeps bringing him up. Perhaps you ought to practice what you preach a little more, eh?

Chambers brings a lot of energy and charisma to the job, which I agree is one of the toughest in Division I basketball.

We tried the New York guy (John Bach) and he did ok.

We tried the Philly guy (Dick Harter) and he did so-so.

We tried the hometown guy (Bruce Parkhill) and he did best of all - especially with the fabulous home court advantage we had in Rec Hall but the job burned him out.

We tried the long time assistant and guy with roots in ACC country (Jerry Dunn) and he did well his first five years, but I really think the situation at PSU got the best of him and in the end, he lost the team and put us on a five year stretch in Purgatory. Jerry has a great rep as an assistant - WVU picked him up immediately when PSU fired him.

We tried the long time assistant, PSU grad and successful coach who took a struggling program to the NCAA tournament and he got chewed up by the situation at PSU (Ed). To be fair, if Geary Claxton doesn’t go down, Ed probably would have made the NCAA’s three out of the last four years and attracted better players. I still think he was bringing in the best players ever into the program.

So Pat comes into a really tough situation. I’m not convinced he can convince Philly/NYC/DC/Balto kids who are used to watching Big East/Big Five/ACC hoops come to the plodding Big Ten. One thing for certain - Pat has a better group of players and better TV exposure than Ed had when he took the job.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:5, topic:2524”]2003–2004 Penn State 9–19 3–13

Are you going to tell me that if Curley had gotten Jay Wright 10 years ago that Jay wouldn’t have gotten good players to come Penn State? Please.[/quote]

Probably and PSU could have been on probation just like Nova was. From the NCAA, the committee concluded that “in combination, the violations caused this case to rise to the level of ‘major’ in nature.”

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2004/Division+I/infractions%2Bcase_%2Bvillanova%2Buniversity%2B-%2B7-19-04.html

Chambers wasnt there at the time. But, that is where he learned his craft. Lets hope that never happens at PSU.

[quote=“Spades88, post:6, topic:2524”]DeChellis got Danny Morrissey to turn down Florida State and Ohio State to come here. Battle, Buie and Brooks were all included in the espn top 100 and rivals top 150 lists. Pringle, Cornley, Claxton, Frazier; I doubt you’d argue that any of them are or were scrubs. And then there was Staten, who would’ve been the highest-rated prospect we’ve had in at least the last 10 years if Ed were still here.

Ed was far from the being the best recruiter out there, and lord knows he struggled to establish himself in the philly area in the way we all hoped he would. But he was hardly as bad as you make him out to be. Besides, he’s gone now, so I don’t see why you have to keep taking potshots at him in every other post you make. I mean, you were the one who implied in an older thread that the DeChellis fans should let it go, but you’re the one who keeps bringing him up. Perhaps you ought to practice what you preach a little more, eh? [/quote]

I would say that Ed’s recruiting issues was not in the one or two guys on the roster he found who were “players” It was that he could never round out the roster with enough talent to support those few players. I’ve heard people say “we just need to land that one superstar”, but I disagree… We got Battle, I mean, c’mon what more do you want? And that really wasn’t the long-term answer.

I still say that you need to bring in one “player” every recruiting class, and then pull some decently skilled role players to full out the class. If you do that consistently, you end up with a team on the floor with 4 guys who can PLAY and a role player (usually a senior-leader-type guy) almost every year. That’s how you field teams that consistently make the NCAA. Then you hope to get lucky with a class that might have 2 or 3 “players” in it that you didn’t expect, and then you make a final-4 run when they’re upper classmen.

ED brought some great guys in… It was the depth of talent he never achieved.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:4, topic:2524”]I’m glad people are excited about him, I just can’t help feeling like I’ve got to wait and see what happens. It’s easy to say the right things. Everybody can say the right things. But this is a tough gig he’s taking over, one I’ve argued might be the toughest position in college hoops.

I think he’s the right kind of hire, but I still only give him about a 10 percent chance of actually getting this program to the next level. That’s not an insult, I would give the same chances to almost anybody we brought in. Most would be lower, really. It’s just THAT difficult a task he has ahead of him, no matter what the tundras of the world want us to believe.

Let’s hope he can do it. I’ll be cheering for him as loud as anyone. :)[/quote]

Everyone has been saying that Penn State needs a salesman. Well, now they have one.

He makes no secret that before he started coaching, he was a very successful salesman. Big house, fancy cars, …the good life. He was great at it.

It’s not hard to say the right things at this point, but as you said, Penn State may be the toughest job in the country. You have to do so much more with so much less just to be able to compete in this conference.

Kanaskie once said that the first thing Curley told him when he was hired was if there are ANY violations, you are gone, PERIOD. Hiring a hoops coach from the BIG EAST is kinda like hiring a football coach from the SEC, …you just get a little nervous about their perspective on things.

I brought up the record to refute a posters notion that Chambers had a 10% chance of taking this program to the next level. Well what is the next level for Penn State?

Ed Dechellis made 4/5/6+ million dollars at Penn State during a period where our economy collapsed. Some of you talk about this guy like his wife had to bag groceries at Giant and he had to caddie at Centre Hills CC during the summers just to make ends meet. His salary might as well have been a million a year considering he lived in State College.

I’m not attacking Ed personally, but he picked the profession of major D1 basketball coach. Along w/ the money comes fame if you do well or criticism if you don’t. No one forced him into the role. I don’t think he did a great job, it’s my opinion. Mr Magoo could get some decent players every now and then because at the end of the day it’s still a Big Ten program that affords a player an opportunity to play against the best competition in the country. There are only so many BCS programs so by DEFAULT, you have to land some decent players from time to time or get lucky on some guys were under the radar.

The year Penn State lost Claxton for the season they got swept by South Carolina, Rider and Central Florida in a Holiday Tournament. Not exactly the resume of a squad heading for the NCAA’s.

It’s also funny to me when people say move on, yet how ofter is Dick Harter’s name mentioned on this board. What that guy wasn’t able to do 35 years ago is so irrelevant it’s mindboggling that people mention his name. Did we have the Big Ten then? The BJC? The Big Ten Network? Anyone familiar w/ the drive from Philly to State College 30 years ago? That drive has been improved drastically over the last 10 years. What was the airport like? Dick Harter coached in an era when an IVY league team could compete with the best schools in the country.

Maybe I sould become a member of the Navy football board and start complaining that they haven’t produced a Heisman Trophy winner or NFL Hal of Fame QB ina very long time. After all, what was true about their program a million years ago should still be true today.

No, but if you got on the Navy board and did not acknowledge the difficulties, you’d be crazy.

I get that “thinking positive” helps you carry on against difficult circumstances. It probably helps you sell. But we’re not selling or trying to win out there. We can be realistic.

I’m very optimistic, by the way. But it’s still a tough job. If it weren’t, you’d have coaches slobbering all over themselves to get it when it opened. They weren’t, and it isn’t just because of the money.

I remember a few years into the DeChellis campaign, Lar was pointing out that most new coaches have a much better record thier FIRST season, but have a regression in their SECOND season.

Are we expecting that from Chambers?

It’s SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to point fingers at other schools when you’re lucky enough to have 107,000 seat football stadium filled every weekend by lemmings paying $40 just to park their car. Look at how much extra money the school is now making w/ STEP.

The football program is run by a man that has never existed at any other school and will never exist again.

The football program, which has had its fair share of off the field problems, generates enough revenue to run the athletic department.

A lot of schools, especially ones that don’t have BIG TIME BIG TIME D1 football, are under some SERIOUS SERIOUS pressure to generate an athletic department that can sustain itself. Villanova’s football program loses millions every season, but guys like Locksmith wants to point to minor recruiting violations like buying a recruit or players a cheesesteak in South Philly. Skeeva wants to point fingers wants to point fingers and say I hope we don’t resort to the tactics of the renegade Big East. You guys sound like Judge Smails.

It’s easy to point fingers when your school never has to worry about money. When has Penn State ever faced serious challenges to generate revenue over the last 30 years? Penn State has it SO EASY. How many schools have it easier?

The arrogance that some have when it comes to our althetic department is embarrassing.

I guarantee Penn State would hire Bob Stoops at 3 million per before it let its revenue generating machine go in the toilet. If that day were to ever happen, many of you will look like hypocrites.

Chambers will take a very inexperienced team into battle next year. I think there’s some talent on the roster, so a more experienced team should be decent in Year 2 and possibly very competitive in Year 3.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:14, topic:2524”]It’s SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to point fingers at other schools when you’re lucky enough to have 107,000 seat football stadium filled every weekend by lemmings paying $40 just to park their car. Look at how much extra money the school is now making w/ STEP.

The football program is run by a man that has never existed at any other school and will never exist again.

The football program, which has had its fair share of off the field problems, generates enough revenue to run the athletic department.

A lot of schools, especially ones that don’t have BIG TIME BIG TIME D1 football, are under some SERIOUS SERIOUS pressure to generate an athletic department that can sustain itself. Villanova’s football program loses millions every season, but guys like Locksmith wants to point to minor recruiting violations like buying a recruit or players a cheesesteak in South Philly. Skeeva wants to point fingers wants to point fingers and say I hope we don’t resort to the tactics of the renegade Big East. You guys sound like Judge Smails.

It’s easy to point fingers when your school never has to worry about money. When has Penn State ever faced serious challenges to generate revenue over the last 30 years? Penn State has it SO EASY. How many schools have it easier?

The arrogance that some have when it comes to our althetic department is embarrassing.

I guarantee Penn State would hire Bob Stoops at 3 million per before it let its revenue generating machine go in the toilet. If that day were to ever happen, many of you will look like hypocrites.[/quote]

After reading your rambling and overly dramatic text I would suggest you see Dr. Beeper.

Again, you offer nothing, I guess I’m right.

I just hope they don’t do so badly that they throw a bucket of ice water on any enthusiasm Chambers is beginning to generate about the program. If he can somehow get this squad to the NIT by nook or by crook, that would help tremendously. Given the graduation loses, I’m dreading something like a 10 - 18 season that would put the program back to square zero ‘do not pass GO do not collect $200’ territory.

Hopefully the fans have common sense. If anyone is expecting some great season because there is a new coach, then we have the dumbest basketball fans in the country.

A CBI or NIT bid would be exceeding expectations, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the CBI only took one BCS school (Oregon) last year and only one the season before that (Oregon State).

As for the NIT, 11 BCS teams received invitations, the most comparable being Northwestern with a mediocre 4 seed (remember, auto-bids are given to regular season low/mid-major conference winners). Northwestern won 18 games last season, albeit with a 286th ranked OOC SOS.