PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Chambers going after Calvin Newell

Philly kid transferring from Oklahoma…said he wants to be closer to home. Courtesy of FOS…

Stats:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51489/calvin-newell-jr

Scout and Rivals 3 star

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:1, topic:2898”]Philly kid transferring from Oklahoma…said he wants to be closer to home. Courtesy of FOS…

Stats:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51489/calvin-newell-jr

Scout and Rivals 3 star[/quote]

Another guard? Interesting if true.

We have a “ship” available for the spring! Could be an advantage!

forgive me… Are we talking Oliver graduating/leaving?

Going after is a little strong. I emailed Coach Chambers a link to a Tulsa newspaper story about Calvin Newell wanting to transfer closer to home. He responded that the coaching staff is investigating the situation “thoroughly.” I think it’s a little premature to say that PSU is going after Newell.

We have a "ship" available for the spring! Could be an advantage!

forgive me… Are we talking Oliver graduating/leaving?

No. This season 2011-12 we are 1 ship short. Thus one available for the soon to start spring semester.

But, “on paper” we have none available for Fall of 2012.

investigating the situation “thoroughly.” = “we know but we can’t say anything:” = we’re finally getting the hang of what we can and cannot say.

You cannot actively recruit a player that’s still signed to another school, can you? He has to be realeased from his LOI/Scholly before we can even talk to HIM (let alone talk to anyone about talking to him)

My advice t Pat: Proceed with some caution…

Granted, his number look pretty good this year for OU, but I’d be interested on why he’s transferring.

He also transferred high schools, thus, my concern. He finished at Strath Haven, but began his high school career at Ridley. He left Ridley late sophomore year after an ugly confrontations with the coach and his Ridley teammates during a bad loss to Lower Merion. As I heard it, he walked off the team during the game with words exchanged between him and the Ridley coach and players.

Pat ought to ask him about that, and it may be worth contacting his Ridely coach (same coach is still there) to get his perspective.

Do we really need any more guards?

[quote=“Great Santini, post:9, topic:2898”]Do we really need any more guards?[/quote]I’m sure Pat wants “his” guards to help run his Villanova style O , but we have absolutely no inside game. Minus Brandon Taylor (hopefully) there is nothing . Keeping the fingers crossed there is some stuff going on behind the scenes we don’t read / hear about regarding the recruitment of some C/PF’s

[quote="Great Santini, post:9, topic:2898"]Do we really need any more guards?[/quote]I'm sure Pat wants "his" guards to help run his Villanova style O , but we have absolutely no inside game. Minus Brandon Taylor (hopefully) there is nothing . Keeping the fingers crossed there is some stuff going on behind the scenes we don't read / hear about regarding the recruitment of some C/PF's

No inside game? Sasa had 15 – his best night yet – against a team most considered to be strong inside. I think your comment is a little premature. Let’s see if he can continue this level of play before we say he can’t.

[quote="Great Santini, post:9, topic:2898"]Do we really need any more guards?[/quote]I'm sure Pat wants "his" guards to help run his Villanova style O , but we have absolutely no inside game. Minus Brandon Taylor (hopefully) there is nothing . Keeping the fingers crossed there is some stuff going on behind the scenes we don't read / hear about regarding the recruitment of some C/PF's

No inside game? Sasa had 15 – his best night yet – against a team most considered to be strong inside. I think your comment is a little premature. Let’s see if he can continue this level of play before we say he can’t.

+1!

+1!

+2

Teams like UNC, Kentucky and Ohio State are few and far between. You develop a couple of decent post/inside options with this bunch (Sasa/Graham/Travis) and quite frankly PSU might be ahead of the game TTYTT.

Calvin committed to UCF.

Wanted to get closer to home, huh? :slight_smile:

[quote="eric17, post:14, topic:2898"]Calvin committed to UCF.[/quote]

Technically it’s about 500 miles closer

Fair enough, but it’s not close to home! :slight_smile:

Fair enough, but it’s not close to home! :slight_smile:

And a 1,000 miles from Philadelphia.

Not that I’m anywhere even remotely close to being Sold on Sasa ,but who do you have after that ? You have one 7 footer that hasn’t seen 1 sec of play and is not being redshirted :-\ You have another one that saw next to no time so far. You have another one that is still far from proven and is now out with an illness. That leaves you with Billy and Sasa…hmmmmm

Fair enough! :slight_smile:

They’ll be in the Big East, so at least he’ll be close to home more often for road games.