Can't say I'm surprised

Tiki Mayben, who was POTY in Albany in '05(Battle was other guard on all sectional team), has been headed for trouble for a long time. Verballed to Syracuse, SAT’s were not good enough; played at UMass for 1 year, not sure what happened, but my guess is grades; played at Hudson Valley CC; then Binghamton. Didn’t see Tiki play in HS, but understand he would have his “boys” beat up fans who were booing him. Not a good rep in HS, and this was almost predictable. Was probably among best players in America East, but heads and eyes were turned if this kid got into such a tough school. This school is not easier to get into than Syracuse, and is probably toughest academically in SUNY system. As a student, this kid had no business going there. Clearly a stain on the school, and for what? To win the AE, so the coach can move up in the ranks? Another Calipari nipped in the bud, hopefully.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4526851

This little tidbit from the article interesting, 'Alvin, a transfer student brought in by Broadus, was charged with stealing condoms from a Wal-Mart in November.’ At least he’s practicing safe sex. :wink:

Boy, is this program in trouble.

I see that DJ Rivera is one of those involved. Wasn’t he a recruiting target of PSU’s?

Who knows for sure. Just because PSU was mentioned in an article about a guy, doesn’t mean we are really pursuing him. Very hard to say for sure.

Used to play against Harpur (I think before it became part of SUNY system). It was a pretty bizarre place.

I grew up in Binghamton and my dad currently works for the University in Athletics. It’s really a sad situation, they were going to have a heck of a squad this season however it all just imploded. Broadus seems to be a solid coach and a good guy, but he just took on way too many risks. It’s fine to sprinkle in a guy or two that needs a second chance, but the majority of the squad was made up of those guys. I had no issues with a guy like Tiki Mayben, he didn’t have any criminal history, things just didn’t work out for him at UMass, but it seems that he really betrayed everyone in the end and wasted a great opportunity. However pretty much everyone on the squad was a transfer or wore out their welcome somewhere else. Malik Alvin should have been gone (or given a much harsher penalty) after the Wal-Mart incident.

Binghamton has been very tight lipped about why the other 5 guys (not including Mayben) got thrown off the team. There are rumors of credit card fraud, sexual assault, more drug use, but nothing official. One of the guys that got thrown off was David Fine, who is the son of Bernie Fine (Boeheim’s top assistant for many years). I really don’t see how this all ends well for Broadus. The clamps are really going to be put on him as to what type of kids he can bring in, and it’ll be a mess for the next few years. They have great facilities and had a great fanbase, but many fans are really turning on them right now and might not come back until Broadus is shown the door.

[quote=“frats, post:5, topic:78”]I grew up in Binghamton and my dad currently works for the University in Athletics. It’s really a sad situation, they were going to have a heck of a squad this season however it all just imploded. Broadus seems to be a solid coach and a good guy, but he just took on way too many risks. It’s fine to sprinkle in a guy or two that needs a second chance, but the majority of the squad was made up of those guys. I had no issues with a guy like Tiki Mayben, he didn’t have any criminal history, things just didn’t work out for him at UMass, but it seems that he really betrayed everyone in the end and wasted a great opportunity. However pretty much everyone on the squad was a transfer or wore out their welcome somewhere else. Malik Alvin should have been gone (or given a much harsher penalty) after the Wal-Mart incident.

Binghamton has been very tight lipped about why the other 5 guys (not including Mayben) got thrown off the team. There are rumors of credit card fraud, sexual assault, more drug use, but nothing official. One of the guys that got thrown off was David Fine, who is the son of Bernie Fine (Boeheim’s top assistant for many years). I really don’t see how this all ends well for Broadus. The clamps are really going to be put on him as to what type of kids he can bring in, and it’ll be a mess for the next few years. They have great facilities and had a great fanbase, but many fans are really turning on them right now and might not come back until Broadus is shown the door.[/quote]

Can’t see how he can survive. Who will go there? IMO, have to go above board, PSU route. It doesn’t matter if you win your conference. You have to get student athletes. Mayben was not a student. He’ll end up in jail in Troy, NY. Tough to recruit at Binghamton, I am sure, but great school, and they’ll just have to get lesser players. Tiki Mayben had trouble written all over him. Bad HS record, bad attitude well known in bball circles. There was an incident of some high caliber camp, like LeBron James, something like that, where a coach fought for him to get in, after the deadline, something Mayben needed someone in his corner. Then he blew off going when the time arrived. Never saw him play, before my Albany time, but fans who knew him when asked, would just shake their head, and say, didn’t like him, bad attitude. Sadly, a kid pushed through HS without really learning. His SAT’s were so low Syracuse had to pull offer, so UMass offered. After starting for the first 10 games or so, his time went way down. I’m sure the coach was fed up with his antics. His time went from 30mpg vs, BC, with 10 points, 9 assists and 4 TO’s on Dec 2, to less than 10mpg in most of the last games. He did play 16 mins vs. WVU in final loss in NIT. The UMass website said he started the 1st 12 games. Tied the single game UMass record for assists with 11 in his debut game.