PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Can PSU make its program a dream job?

Maybe when pigs fly? :slight_smile:

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/05/25/2734358/can-psu-make-its-program-a-dream.html

Can PSU make its program a dream job?

Only for us crazies on PennStateHoops.com :slight_smile:

YES…IT CAN …

Now it’s a "good job’ opportunity. If we get a young coach with a personality who can win some games and MARKET
THEN it can be a DREAM JOB for the next up and comer!!

By the way…I’m not sure not…it’s been 8 years…But did not Ed call PSU his dream job??

I’m getting really tired of “it can’t be done” posters!!!

I’ve never read a single poster say that it can’t be done. However many here are willing to recognize the challenges that we face, while you obviously won’t.

Every top 100 recruit thinks they are going to play in the NBA, “Can you get me into the league?” They dont care about a degree. A kid with other more “attractive” offers will rarely pick PSU.

Remember Anthony Hubbard. Iowa and Nebraska admit him, PSU doesnt. More like a nightmare.

Agree…and this can change like the wind…K St is on those programs now…what were they in the past??

I know PSU’s history!!! BUT PSU is in a “change position.” Handle this change well…and in a few years…who knows.
Heck the program may be aided by the pro careers of Battle and Brooks!!
or…hire a coach who has recruited/coached future NBA players…Voila .

[quote="FrankDrebin, post:5, topic:2419"]Every top 100 recruit thinks they are going to play in the NBA, "Can you get me into the league?" They dont care about a degree. A kid with other more "attractive" offers will rarely pick PSU.[/quote]

Agree…and this can change like the wind…K St is on those programs now…what were they in the past??

I know PSU’s history!!! BUT PSU is in a “change position.” Handle this change well…and in a few years…who knows.

Ever hear of Jack Hartman?

I have heard of Jack Hartman…but I seriously doubt any 17 and 18 olds have!!

[quote="FrankDrebin, post:5, topic:2419"]Every top 100 recruit thinks they are going to play in the NBA, "Can you get me into the league?" They dont care about a degree. A kid with other more "attractive" offers will rarely pick PSU.[/quote]

or…hire a coach who has recruited/coached future NBA players…Voila .

There is NO WAY I want Penn State to turn into a K State type program.

The connection Penn State had with Battle and Brooks has just been severely hampered. Their coach of 4 years just walked away, and perhaps all the assistants as well. What connection will they have to the next staff?

GOSH…I don’t want PSU to become another K ST. THAT is NOT my point. MY point is that "things change…fast."
PSU CAN be on the right side of this change if they play their cards correctly!

why would a successful coach, one that can lure top 50-100 talent consistently, leave their present position to come to PSU?

GOOD GRAVY , if you don’t think any change will happen or is even possible…WHY do you care???and…WHY do you blanket this board with negativism???

To me, the coaching vacancy is GREAT news…PSU is now on the national stage…I DO BELIEVE change is possible…we just need the right guy…A youngish not legacy with a large personality and recruiting ability.

[quote="FrankDrebin, post:11, topic:2419"]why would a successful coach, one that can lure top 50-100 talent consistently, leave their present position to come to PSU?[/quote] GOOD GRAVY , if you don't think any change will happen or is even possible......................WHY do you care???????????????????and....................WHY do you blanket this board with negativism???????????????

To me, the coaching vacancy is GREAT news…PSU is now on the national stage…I DO BELIEVE change is possible…we just need the right guy…A youngish not legacy with a large personality and recruiting ability.

I am sure the folks in Morgan’s Corner, Arkansas cant wait until the next coach is named.

ESPN reaches EVERYWHERE…

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6585041

[quote="FrankDrebin, post:11, topic:2419"]why would a successful coach, one that can lure top 50-100 talent consistently, leave their present position to come to PSU?[/quote] GOOD GRAVY , if you don't think any change will happen or is even possible......................WHY do you care???????????????????and....................WHY do you blanket this board with negativism???????????????

I back Tundra. If you don’t believe change is possible, why even follow the team? Penn State is a special place and the right guy can get it done. No doubt. But it’s about finding the right guy this time around. Ed Dechellis was never the right guy for this job. Many on this board wanted him to be, but he wasn’t.

Dead in the water.

I back Tundra. If you don’t believe change is possible, why even follow the team? Penn State is a special place and the right guy can get it done. No doubt. But it’s about finding the right guy this time around. Ed Dechellis was never the right guy for this job. Many on this board wanted him to be, but he wasn’t.

Everyone believes change is possible, we just don’t believe there is a snap of the fingers capable of making it happen. It’s going to take a serious time investment to do it the honest way.

A guy like Ed was seen as never being the right guy because he was taking too long to get traction, but you can’t deny that things were trending upward the last half of his tenure. How long do we give the next guys before he becomes “not the right guy”? Better be prepared to give some breathing room yet again unless you get a huge name.

Everyone believes change is possible, we just don’t believe there is a snap of the fingers capable of making it happen. It’s going to take a serious time investment to do it the honest way.

A guy like Ed was seen as never being the right guy because he was taking too long to get traction, but you can’t deny that things were trending upward the last half of his tenure. How long do we give the next guys before he becomes “not the right guy”? Better be prepared to give some breathing room yet again unless you get a huge name.

+1

Agreed. If it’s taking Tom Crean several years to turn around IU, what will it take at PSU? I don’t want shortcuts. I want the job done right.

Breathing room is a “given.” …I’m looking for personality, attitude, marketing ability, recruiting ability…these are the important traits.
ALL D1 schools have X and O knowledge among their 4 coaches. It becomes a “wash.” The PSU job needs a “face” for the program with a public “mission statement of change and hope.” This is a BUILDING and SALES position.