Calhoun to sign four year contract extension

In case this wasn’t discussed earlier, the press in CT is reporting that Calhoun will sign a four year extension. UCONN is 17-15 this year with a roster that includes four five-stars, three four-stars and five three-stars recruits. They might make the NIT; the NCAA tournament is long gone.

For the past few weeks, there have been all kinds of rumbles about Calhoun being too old, too sick, too cranky, too abrasive, too tough on his players, etc, etc. (Sounds like the anti-JoePa crowd).

UCONN seemed to lack leadership on the floor this year.

I’d say if UCONN can give Calhoun an extension with that record, PSU probably can hang in there with Ed another year or so.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:966”]In case this wasn’t discussed earlier, the press in CT is reporting that Calhoun will sign a four year extension. UCONN is 17-15 this year with a roster that includes four five-stars, three four-stars and five three-stars recruits. They might make the NIT; the NCAA tournament is long gone.

For the past few weeks, there have been all kinds of rumbles about Calhoun being too old, too sick, too cranky, too abrasive, too tough on his players, etc, etc. (Sounds like the anti-JoePa crowd).

I’d say if UCONN can give Calhoun an extension with that record, PSU probably can hang in there with Ed another year or so.[/quote]

My god, didn’t UConn make the Final 4 last year? Hasn’t Calhoun won 2 national titles? ::slight_smile:

Calhoun is 67 years old and is known as being very abrasive with the press (the similarities to JoePa are uncanny). He did win two national titles (same as Joe) and put UCONN (once a good regional program) on the national map (same as Joe).

But we’re comparing him to Ed, not Joe. ???

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:966”]In case this wasn’t discussed earlier, the press in CT is reporting that Calhoun will sign a four year extension. UCONN is 17-15 this year with a roster that includes four five-stars, three four-stars and five three-stars recruits. They might make the NIT; the NCAA tournament is long gone.

I’d say if UCONN can give Calhoun an extension with that record, PSU probably can hang in there with Ed another year or so.[/quote]
In his defense, he did have “health issues” this season. I imagine Calhoun has his own demons to fight against, including the unequaled success of the women’s program. Plus, he has been accused of saying some damn stupid things at times.

are you joking? Do you know who Calhoun is and what he has done in college basketball?

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:966"]I'd say if UCONN can give Calhoun an extension with that record, PSU probably can hang in there with Ed another year or so.[/quote]

are you joking? Do you know who Calhoun is and what he has done in college basketball?

In two of the last four seasons, Calhoun has had a record that roughly equaled, or was worse than, the record Ed produced in three of his last five seasons at PSU (channeling PSUChamp for a moment there).

;D

I think UConn is actually making a mistake here, I know all he has done but he has quit a few games over the last few season with health problems and they really struggling as of late in recruiting. He currently has 1 players signed for the 2010 class and they are in need of quit a few more.

Calhoun is a HOF head coach. They are as likely to “fire” him as PSU was to fire Joe. It would take at least two or three more seasons of mediocre .500 basketball for UCONN to say bye-bye to Calhoun, at least IMO.

[quote="Chaze2k1, post:8, topic:966"]I think UConn is actually making a mistake here, I know all he has done but he has quit a few games over the last few season with health problems and they really struggling as of late in recruiting. He currently has 1 players signed for the 2010 class and they are in need of quit a few more.[/quote] Calhoun is a HOF head coach. They are as likely to "fire" him as PSU was to fire Joe. It would take at least two or three more seasons of mediocre .500 basketball for UCONN to say bye-bye to Calhoun, at least IMO.

I am not saying they should have fired him but I am not sure the contract extension was in there best interest at this time unless there some loop holes in the contract that protect the university on Calhoun’s health problems.

[quote="Chaze2k1, post:8, topic:966"]I think UConn is actually making a mistake here, I know all he has done but he has quit a few games over the last few season with health problems and they really struggling as of late in recruiting. He currently has 1 players signed for the 2010 class and they are in need of quit a few more.[/quote] Calhoun is a HOF head coach. They are as likely to "fire" him as PSU was to fire Joe. It would take at least two or three more seasons of mediocre .500 basketball for UCONN to say bye-bye to Calhoun, at least IMO.

I am not saying they should have fired him but I am not sure the contract extension was in there best interest at this time unless there some loop holes in the contract that protect the university on Calhoun’s health problems.

I just doubt he coaches to the end of the contract. Have bad feeling that something medical will make him quit.

Seems to be more likely Calhoun will eventually find some way to gracefully “retire”, however that is eventually defined.

Seems to be more likely Calhoun will eventually find some way to gracefully “retire”, however that is eventually defined.

Perhaps he can become PSU’s Assistant Athletic Director of Basketball Operations? :wink: