PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Cal is dropping baseball!

University of California started it’s baseball program in 1892, but it’s being cut. They have put 50+ players in the Bigs, Have had 5 All Americans in the past 5 seasons. For the most part, a pretty decent program.

California drops baseball program

…and the cuts do not stop there…

In addition to baseball, the school will eliminate men’s and women’s gymnastics and women’s lacrosse. The defending champion men’s rugby program will remain but no longer be fully funded.

The cuts will save $4 million in 2011-12, according to the university.

On a side note, Cal Head Football coach Jeff Tedford was earning $2.8M last year, before signing his new contract. …just sayin’…

Good point!..The world is going crazy…or should I say…“has gone” crazy.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:1373”]University of California started it’s baseball program in 1892, but it’s being cut. They have put 50+ players in the Bigs, Have had 5 All Americans in the past 5 seasons. For the most part, a pretty decent program.

On a side note, Cal Head Football coach Jeff Tedford was earning $2.8M last year, before signing his new contract. …just sayin’… [/quote]

I’m guessing the football team provides most of the revenue for the athletic department. If they got a lesser coach for half the price, I’d bet their revenue drops by more than they save.

BTW, I saw that Purdue is projecting a $67 million shortfall, and laid off several hundred people. Not sure about sports. Vermont cut out baseball and softball, two years ago. The baseball coach, a friend of mine, Bill Currier, just got the top job at Fairfield U, after almost 2 years of searching. It’s a step up from Vermont. Great guy. Baseball doesn’t make any money. But Cal, wow.

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:1373"]University of California started it's baseball program in 1892, but it's being cut. They have put 50+ players in the Bigs, Have had 5 All Americans in the past 5 seasons. For the most part, a pretty decent program.

On a side note, Cal Head Football coach Jeff Tedford was earning $2.8M last year, before signing his new contract. …just sayin’…[/quote]

I’m guessing the football team provides most of the revenue for the athletic department. If they got a lesser coach for half the price, I’d bet their revenue drops by more than they save.

Hmmmm, I wonder why all the underperforming coaches in the less successful schools aren’t shopping a half dozen programs !!! Maybe if they up Telford’s salary to $5M, they can save baseball. Yeah, that’s it…

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:1373"]University of California started it's baseball program in 1892, but it's being cut. They have put 50+ players in the Bigs, Have had 5 All Americans in the past 5 seasons. For the most part, a pretty decent program.

On a side note, Cal Head Football coach Jeff Tedford was earning $2.8M last year, before signing his new contract. …just sayin’…[/quote]

Hmmmm, I wonder why all the underperforming coaches in the less successful schools aren’t shopping a half dozen programs !!! Maybe if they up Telford’s salary to $5M, they can save baseball. Yeah, that’s it…

What on earth are you trying to say? Tedford is one of the more successful coaches that school has had. So he should get paid what he is worth. Aren’t you one of the people who says PSU should pay more money for a better hoops coach so we can win? ???

What on earth are you trying to say? Tedford is one of the more successful coaches that school has had. So he should get paid what he is worth. Aren’t you one of the people who says PSU should pay more money for a better hoops coach so we can win? ???

No, I’ve NEVER said that. >:(

No, I’ve NEVER said that. >:(

My apologies.