PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

BYU should have fouled on that last possesion in regulation

Just like PSU should have. Jimmer was spent and FLorida was starting to dominate inside. Don’t understand the reasoning of not fouling:

1. Don’t foul – only two outcomes – Tie or Lose
  2. Foul – Two outcomes – Win or Lose

I like the win or lose outcome better than Tie or Lose outcome. Give me the ball in Battle or Jimmer’s hand with 10 seconds and chance to win the game and I take that 10 times out of 10 better than playing an OT period where the other team has you outmanned.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:1, topic:2250”]Just like PSU should have. Jimmer was spent and FLorida was starting to dominate inside. Don’t understand the reasoning of not fouling:

I like the win or lose outcome better than Tie or Lose outcome. Give me the ball in Battle or Jimmer’s hand with 10 seconds and chance to win the game and I take that 10 times out of 10 better than playing an OT period where the other team has you outmanned.[/quote]

1. Foul – three outcomes – win, lose or tie. The player could miss the free throws and BYU could also miss. Or the player could make both and BYU ties with a two.

Just like PSU should have. Jimmer was spent and FLorida was starting to dominate inside. Don't understand the reasoning of not fouling:

I like the win or lose outcome better than Tie or Lose outcome. Give me the ball in Battle or Jimmer’s hand with 10 seconds and chance to win the game and I take that 10 times out of 10 better than playing an OT period where the other team has you outmanned.

1. Foul – three outcomes – win, lose or tie. The player could miss the free throws and BYU could also miss. Or the player could make both and BYU ties with a two.

You are correct. The issue I have is in case #1, there is no ‘win’, only OT. When you are the ‘better’ team, OT is most likely a good thing. When you are the undermanned team, which was the case in both BYU and PSU case (PSU being without Brooks), than the one shot win or lose scenario when you have a ultra clutch player on your team just seems the right way to go.

I understand the idea behind it, but I mostly disagree with it unless your defense is just awful - in which case, you probably have no business in a game that really means something anyhow.

You’re essentially giving them free points. It’s hard to score on those last second opportunities. Just because you saw a few go down in the tournament doesn’t mean there weren’t twice as many similar types of shots not made this season. The odds are in your favor to just play straight up defense and try to force overtime.

As stated before i would foul as for PSU GAME IT was a 2on2 GAME WE lost by 2

They foul. The shooter makes both shots. BYU’s ball and they miss the shot and/or do not even get a very good shot off. BYU loses, and the coach would get torn to shreds for the decision to foul, IMO. Hind-sight is 20/20. I wouldn’t foul in that situation, unless if your defense is THAT awful and/or your roster/bench is decimated for OT.

One of the announcers even posed the question… “So you foul here” to which the color guy immediately thought that it was either the dumbest question ever asked, or the play-by-play guy has lost track of hte fact the game was tied.

In hindsight, it wasn’t that bad of a question.