BWI Interview with ED on Buie, Bowman, and Graham

Not sure if this is a $ or not. The writer notes that the interview took place before Trey Burke’s situation came to light but adds that DeChellis would not have been able to speak to it anyway given NCAA regulations.

Go to the Interview.

That article gives one some optimism. Didn’t Graham have some 30+ point games in HS? Maybe he brings some needed offense.

Always good to hear the coach talk about players. Good stuff. BUT, Eddy was still in his best “damage control” mode. To much “spin control” for me! We heard about Ott graduateing early TWICE. It’s one sided. Nothing from Ott about why HE DID NOT WANT to play his 5th season. Ed could/should maybe have said something like “With Ott leaving there was an opportunity to recruit another inside player.” Keep it neutral.
I want my coach to be real and grounded and move forward positively NOT spinning old news. Leave it to the regular “spin doctors!”

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1195”]Always good to hear the coach talk about players. Good stuff. BUT, Eddy was still in his best “damage control” mode. To much “spin control” for me! We heard about Ott graduateing early TWICE. It’s one sided. Nothing from Ott about why HE DID NOT WANT to play his 5th season. Ed could/should maybe have said something like "With Ott leaving there was an opportunity to recruit another inside player." Keep it neutral.
I want my coach to be real and grounded and move forward positively NOT spinning old news. Leave it to the regular “spin doctors!”[/quote]

Maybe I read it differently than you but that’s almost exactly what Ed said.

then when Andrew Ott decided to graduate early and leave and go work for his father, post guys were a premium.

We started to recruit him and Lew worked really hard to try to get us involved and we got his dad and him up here.

I mean is that really all that different than what you want him to say?

I don’t really want to hear anymore about the guys that left. Especially a guy that graduated and didn’t play all that much anyways. I’m MUCH more interested in what Ed says about Graham and his future rather than why Ott wasn’t happy.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1195"]Always good to hear the coach talk about players. Good stuff. BUT, Eddy was still in his best "damage control" mode. To much "spin control" for me! We heard about Ott graduateing early TWICE. It's one sided. Nothing from Ott about why HE DID NOT WANT to play his 5th season. Ed could/should maybe have said something like "[b]With Ott leaving there was an opportunity to recruit another inside player."[/b] Keep it neutral. I want my coach to be real and grounded and move forward positively NOT spinning old news. Leave it to the regular "spin doctors!"[/quote]

Maybe I read it differently than you but that’s almost exactly what Ed said.

then when Andrew Ott decided to graduate early and leave and go work for his father, post guys were a premium.

We started to recruit him and Lew worked really hard to try to get us involved and we got his dad and him up here.

I mean is that really all that different than what you want him to say?
I don’t really want to hear anymore about the guys that left. Especially a guy that graduated and didn’t play all that much anyways. I’m MUCH more interested in what Ed says about Graham and his future rather than why Ott wasn’t happy.

YES,YES and YES…it was VERY different! Ed in his statement IMPLIES a happy Ott situation. This is a “SPIN.” Ed “SPUN” Ott TWICE!! I don’t want a SPIN. Nor do I want to hear about Ott’s unhappiness. It’s OLD news…be fast and neutral about the players leaving (or don’t mention them at all) and move on to talk about our present players!
Present - positive - no spins about past failures

One more thing… Ott played pretty well last year…far from a star BUT he contributed to the team. MANY posters during the year cited that Ott should be our starting center. NO need to mention a “NEGATIVE” about him.

In a previous thread I said that I didn’t think Bowman and Graham would see many meaningful minutes next season, and who knows if they will, but this at least makes me think Ed’s open to the idea of them earning minutes. Although I didn’t actually expect Ed to say they were recruited so that they can contribute in 3 years.

I think you are right. And I know I read somewhere that he is Calvert Hall’s second all-time leading scorer. That’s pretty good considering they’ve had some other pretty good players there – Juan Dixon and Duane Ferrell off the top of my head.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:1195”]YES,YES and YES…it was VERY different! Ed in his statement IMPLIES a happy Ott situation. This is a “SPIN.” Ed “SPUN” Ott TWICE!! I don’t want a SPIN. Nor do I want to hear about Ott’s unhappiness. It’s OLD news…be fast and neutral about the players leaving (or don’t mention them at all) and move on to talk about our present players!
Present - positive - no spins about past failures

One more thing… Ott played pretty well last year…far from a star BUT he contributed to the team. MANY posters during the year cited that Ott should be our starting center. NO need to mention a “NEGATIVE” about him.[/quote]

Disagree completely. It doesn’t imply anything. You’re reaching and reading into it what you WANT it to imply. All he says is a guy graduated and it gave the staff an opportunity to recruit Graham, which is pretty much what you wanted. Apparently he didn’t say it the “right” way. ::slight_smile:

Ott did play well, I repeatedly said he’s a decent backup B10 center before the season. He still didn’t play a bunch of minutes, not sure how I said something negative. Maybe I just “implied” it. :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:1195"]YES,YES and YES.....................it was VERY different! Ed in his statement IMPLIES a happy Ott situation. This is a "SPIN." Ed "SPUN" Ott TWICE!! I don't want a SPIN. Nor do I want to hear about Ott's unhappiness. It's OLD news...............be fast and neutral about the players leaving (or don't mention them at all) and move on to talk about our present players! Present - positive - no spins about past failures [b][/b]

One more thing… Ott played pretty well last year…far from a star BUT he contributed to the team. MANY posters during the year cited that Ott should be our starting center. NO need to mention a “NEGATIVE” about him.[/quote]

Disagree completely. It doesn’t imply anything. You’re reaching and reading into it what you WANT it to imply. All he says is a guy graduated and it gave the staff an opportunity to recruit Graham, which is pretty much what you wanted. Apparently he didn’t say it the “right” way. ::slight_smile:

Ott did play well, I repeatedly said he’s a decent backup B10 center before the season. He still didn’t play a bunch of minutes, not sure how I said something negative. Maybe I just “implied” it. :wink:

The scholorship is OPEN because Ott CHOSE NOT TO PLAY his final year. Ed CHOSE NOT to mention this FACT. This (choosing NOT to play) is the fact that counts. The graduation does NOT count. It is not uncommon for kids who had graduated to play their last season. The SPORT is usually everything for kids this age!
I am saddened to see our coach act like an APOLOGIST…he must read this board!!

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:1195”]The scholorship is OPEN because Ott CHOSE NOT TO PLAY his final year. Ed CHOSE NOT to mention this FACT. This (choosing NOT to play) is the fact that counts. The graduation does NOT count. It is not uncommon for kids who had graduated to play their last season. The SPORT is usually everything for kids this age!
I am saddened to see our coach act like an APOLOGIST…he must read this board!! [/quote]

LOL. The graduation doesn’t count.

I think it’s funny when you (literally, you) are the one who gets to decide which facts count and which ones don’t. The only FACT is that he graduated. Maybe Ott’s dad was really anxious to get him to work in his company and offered him a great deal. Maybe Ed REALLY wanted Jon Graham and told Ott he wouldn’t get much playing time his senior year because if Graham committed he was going to get most of Ott’s minutes. Maybe Ott really wasn’t into basketball all that much anymore, maybe he burned out and he wasn’t happy or unhappy, just uninterested.

I love how you dismiss the only FACT that we know and submit your opinion as the only FACT that counts.

Anyways, I’m pretty excited to see what Bowman can do. I loved to hear of his good work ethic. I still think if he can shoot consistently he’ll have a 1 up on anyone else coming in. We are offensively challenged, we need some scorers on the floor! Maybe that will get them to play a little more inspired defense.

Good to hear that Graham’s peers said he play really well. I’m hoping he can help out from Day 1.

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:1195"]The scholorship is OPEN because Ott CHOSE NOT TO PLAY his final year. Ed CHOSE NOT to mention this FACT. This (choosing NOT to play) is the fact that counts. The graduation does NOT count. It is not uncommon for kids who had graduated to play their last season. The SPORT is usually everything for kids this age! I am saddened to see our coach act like an APOLOGIST...................he must read this board!![/quote]

LOL. The graduation doesn’t count.

I think it’s funny when you (literally, you) are the one who gets to decide which facts count and which ones don’t. The only FACT is that he graduated. Maybe Ott’s dad was really anxious to get him to work in his company and offered him a great deal. Maybe Ed REALLY wanted Jon Graham and told Ott he wouldn’t get much playing time his senior year because if Graham committed he was going to get most of Ott’s minutes. Maybe Ott really wasn’t into basketball all that much anymore, maybe he burned out and he wasn’t happy or unhappy, just uninterested.

I love how you dismiss the only FACT that we know and submit your opinion as the only FACT that counts.

Anyways, I’m pretty excited to see what Bowman can do. I loved to hear of his good work ethic. I still think if he can shoot consistently he’ll have a 1 up on anyone else coming in. We are offensively challenged, we need some scorers on the floor! Maybe that will get them to play a little more inspired defense.

Good to hear that Graham’s peers said he play really well. I’m hoping he can help out from Day 1.

Coach Kanaskie stated the Ott would have required surgery to repair his shoulder, and that the surgury, rehab, and potential for reaggrivation was something Ott was not interested in.

At the end of the year, Ott was playing with one arm,. He couldn’t lift the other above his head. How effective is a big man that can’t lift his arms?

MAYBE the moon is made of Blue (bleu) Cheese…

Nope, there are actual facts (not made up opinions acting as facts) that prove otherwise.

[quote="tundra, post:12, topic:1195"]MAYBE the moon is made of Blue (bleu) Cheese.............[/quote]

Nope, there are actual facts (not made up opinions acting as facts) that prove otherwise.

Facts? We never landed on the moon - it was all a hoax. It looks like you (literally, you) are choosing what “facts” to believe. :wink:

Could Joonas or Sky King lift their arms above their heads? How effective were they?

Make up your mind, was it one arm he couldn’t lift above his head, or two? BTW, you should go back to PSU4Ever, and put, formerly known as Skeeza at the bottom. :wink:

Re this thread, I’d like to think post guys were at a premium before anybody left. This team was 3-16 in conference last year. Isn’t it reasonable to believe that if the team is going to improve that newbies are going to have to play a crucial role? Like maybe start? I know this isn’t Kentucky where 5 freshmen start, but how about 2?

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:1195"]At the end of the year, Ott was playing with one arm,. He couldn't lift the other above his head. How effective is a big man that can't lift his arms?[/quote]

Make up your mind, was it one arm he couldn’t lift above his head, or two? BTW, you should go back to PSU4Ever, and put, formerly known as Skeeza at the bottom. :wink:

Re this thread, I’d like to think post guys were at a premium before anybody left. This team was 3-16 in conference last year. Isn’t it reasonable to believe that if the team is going to improve that newbies are going to have to play a crucial role? Like maybe start? I know this isn’t Kentucky where 5 freshmen start, but how about 2?

Personally, I think it’s more reasonable to believe that a team starting four seniors will improve. We’ve pointed toward this season for three years because we’ll have that senior experience. I see no reason to think that the only way that we improve is to have freshmen step in. Despite what you may believe, players do get better from year to year.

I am never this correct a year+ ahead of time about a college Bball team
[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:1195"]At the end of the year, Ott was playing with one arm,. He couldn't lift the other above his head. How effective is a big man that can't lift his arms?[/quote]

Personally, I think it’s more reasonable to believe that a team starting four seniors will improve. We’ve pointed toward this season for three years because we’ll have that senior experience. I see no reason to think that the only way that we improve is to have freshmen step in. Despite what you may believe, players do get better from year to year.

Never said players didn’t get better from year to year, but from what base? FYI, some of these seniors played less mpg as sophomores than they did as freshmen, as Ed went to 3 guards as they didn’t get better. Marginally better won’t cut it, IMO, unless you think 6-13 is okay.

Personally, I think it’s more reasonable to believe that a team starting four seniors will improve. We’ve pointed toward this season for three years because we’ll have that senior experience. I see no reason to think that the only way that we improve is to have freshmen step in. Despite what you may believe, players do can get better from year to year.

It isn’t a given

agree, it makes no sense to think we’d be better off with freshmen starting. As a general rule, upperclassmen who have developed for 4 years and know the system very well are better, with very talented exceptions who step in right away and take over (we don’t get that type at PSU yet). that is why Babb leaving hurt