BWI: Dwight McCombs article

Hey, it’s nice to fill this board with credible, valuable information for once. Article’s free

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1066391

"They've called. They're probably in the mix too, somewhere," McCombs said yesterday via phone. "I'm just waiting on them to try to see when they want to come out here. I talked to them this past weekend and they said they were going to try to get out here. So, as soon as they get out here, I'll have a better feel for them and I'll see how I like them.

“I’ve talked to them on the phone probably about five times. We’ve emailed each other a couple of times. They’re just trying to find a better date for them to come out here that’s good for me too.”

With offers from programs around the country, McCombs pointed out Arkansas, Murray State, South Alabama and North Texas as some of the schools he’s dealing with the most right now at the end of his recruiting process.

Look at that list of schools. So much competition! :-\

After Arkansas, just one official visit left. Good sign if he made that PSU. He wants to go pro.

Murray St and N Texas both went Dancing this year…I’m not saying we shouldn’t set our sights higher, but it’s not like these teams suck.

I see he played at Miami of Ohio in '07/08, not '08/09. Did he take a year off? That’s not required if you go to community college, is it? Did rebound, 1.3pg in 7+ minutes. 0.8ppg scoring average. Was electrical engineering major, so probably smart.

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mccombs_dwight00.html

That roster page lists him as a junior. And that was 2 years ago. How old is this guy? :wink: Sure it’s a mistake.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:5, topic:1032”]I see he played at Miami of Ohio in '07/08, not '08/09. Did he take a year off? That’s not required if you go to community college, is it? Did rebound, 1.3pg in 7+ minutes. 0.8ppg scoring average. Was electrical engineering major, so probably smart.

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mccombs_dwight00.html[/quote]

I’ve been reading up on him since I find out we were recruiting him.

Originally he wanted to leave MofO to go to a big time school. He played well against Kansas when MofO played against them.

Hopefully Preston can convince him PSU is the right place to be.

PS - I think he redshirted his soph year.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:5, topic:1032”]I see he played at Miami of Ohio in '07/08, not '08/09. Did he take a year off? That’s not required if you go to community college, is it? Did rebound, 1.3pg in 7+ minutes. 0.8ppg scoring average. Was electrical engineering major, so probably smart.

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mccombs_dwight00.html

That roster page lists him as a junior. And that was 2 years ago. How old is this guy? :wink: Sure it’s a mistake.[/quote]

It’s got to be a mistake. Also, yes he could play right away. He fulfills his sitting out a transfer year while playing JC ball.

North Texas won 24 games, beat no one. Arkansas sucked, South Alabama sucked, and Penn State sucked. The best school showing interest in him is Murray State, out of the Ohio Valley Conference. I’m not impressed. :-\

I think he’s worth getting. You don’t get 14 rebounds a game without being aggressive and that’s what we lacked the most last year. It sounds like he thought he was better than mid-major talent-wise and was willing to go to juco to prepare for major D1. And he thinks he can get to the NBA. I think Jones, Brooks, Jackson and Sasa have given up on that dream by now. He’s a juco, so if he doesn’t pan out then you’re only stuck for 2 years instead of 4. I hope ED gets him to visit before Arkansas on April 9.

The most important recruiter will be TB… He needs to convince Dwight that the 2 of them, along with Taran can go dancing next year. The 2 guys are actually in very similar positions… They want to dance in the NCAAs and they want to show what they can do to the NBA scouts. However, the time to do that for them both has all but run out. I think if their personalities mesh, their goals and aspirations are about the same, and together they might be able to push us across the desert into the promoised land of March Madness…

zing… :smiley:

If he is anywhere near his listed size and is physical and wants to play with some emotion and it not afraid ot mix it up a little bit, sign him up. PSU needs warm bodies at this point in the frontcourt. He has played at the Div 1A level already and is old/mature enough that there should be no real transition period getting used to the level of play that you would typically see from a JUCO that has only played JUCO ball.

If PSU can’t sign up somebody that can give them a quality 25 minutes at the 4/5 position, next year is going to be a long year.

I agree on getting Talor involved, but that’d require an official visit to really step it up, no? I always thought Battle made a good choice in going to PSU. It’s like the Big Life, Big Stage, Big 10 commercial. The Big 10 is a huge stage. If McCombs is serious about the NBA, what better place to go? You can get minutes, and play in one of country’s best conferences. NBA scouts are going to want to see you vs. serious comp. Should be sold that way. If he’s really pro material, like that Thompson kid who played for Rider, he can make a team. That kid from LaSalle, Aaaric Murray, is showing up on draft boards. How did LaSalle get him? From their site, “Chose La Salle over West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Temple and Saint Joseph’s…”

[quote=“Cletus11, post:12, topic:1032”]If he is anywhere near his listed size and is physical and wants to play with some emotion and it not afraid ot mix it up a little bit, sign him up. PSU needs warm bodies at this point in the frontcourt. He has played at the Div 1A level already and is old/mature enough that there should be no real transition period getting used to the level of play that you would typically see from a JUCO that has only played JUCO ball.

If PSU can’t sign up somebody that can give them a quality 25 minutes at the 4/5 position, next year is going to be a long year. [/quote]

Ok, so first we just need warm bodies. But these warm bodies have to be able to contribute 25 quality minutes. It doesn’t work that way.

As I was looking for more info on him, I ran into this new article from Scout.

Shortly after Brandon Dunson gave his verbal commitment to ASU, and knowing his new team was searching for a post player, the JC point guard suggested that the Sun Devil coaching staff take a look at his childhood friend Dwight McCombs. Consequently, the 6-8 240 Moraine Valley (IL) CC standout is now being looked at seriously by ASU. McCombs talked to Devils Digest about his recruitment.

Also, he now has offers from Missouri, Minnesota and UTEP. Also, he’s going to skip one official visit from either MN or Minnesota to visit ASU.

I was feeling pretty good about him. I hope Ed and Co can do a nice job selling PSU.

If he is anywhere near his listed size and is physical and wants to play with some emotion and it not afraid ot mix it up a little bit, sign him up. PSU needs warm bodies at this point in the frontcourt. He has played at the Div 1A level already and is old/mature enough that there should be no real transition period getting used to the level of play that you would typically see from a JUCO that has only played JUCO ball.

If PSU can’t sign up somebody that can give them a quality 25 minutes at the 4/5 position, next year is going to be a long year.

Ok, so first we just need warm bodies. But these warm bodies have to be able to contribute 25 quality minutes. It doesn’t work that way.

Tell him the way it should be Eric :wink:

Not to mention that Battle will have a few scouts watching him. That’s one way to guarantee yourself to at least be seen by an NBA scout.

Minnesota and Arizona State’s rivals also had ($) articles on him today.

He sounds like a longshot. Minnesota and Arizona State also want him to visit (and he has one official left). He has a really good friend who’s already committed to the Sun Devils and begging him to come.

Sounds like it’s going to be between Arkansas, Minnesota, Arizona State, and us, and right now, we’re last.

[quote=“eric17, post:18, topic:1032”]Minnesota and Arizona State’s rivals also had ($) articles on him today.

He sounds like a longshot. Minnesota and Arizona State also want him to visit (and he has one official left). He has a really good friend who’s already committed to the Sun Devils and begging him to come.

Sounds like it’s going to be between Arkansas, Minnesota, Arizona State, and us, and right now, we’re last.[/quote]

Sounds like where he takes his last official visit is where he’ll end up. Tempe or Happy Valley. Hmmmm…It hooked Bill Frieder.

LP, I misread your original post, and almost immediately deleted mine. My bad.

PSU drops interest in McCombs, juco coach says

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/blogs/hardwoodhits/2010/04/psu_drops_interest_in_mccombs.aspx