PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

BWI article on basketball prep for MSU

[ftp=ftp://http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1186790]BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Inside the Den: News and notes from the hardwood
[/ftp]

Knowing in advance the issues that Bon Jovi's occupancy at the BJC would cause, baskets were installed in what had previously been the volleyball only portion in the center of the IM Building.

In what amounted to a ‘Would be funny if it wasn’t so sad’ scene, the Lions warmed up on peripheral baskets that were visibly lower than they should be, as well as a basket that had not fully retracted, leaving the backboard at an awkward upward angle.

Geez!

[quote=“Duff, post:1, topic:1916”][ftp=ftp://http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1186790]BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Inside the Den: News and notes from the hardwood
[/ftp]

[quote]Knowing in advance the issues that Bon Jovi’s occupancy at the BJC would cause, baskets were installed in what had previously been the volleyball only portion in the center of the IM Building.

In what amounted to a ‘Would be funny if it wasn’t so sad’ scene, the Lions warmed up on peripheral baskets that were visibly lower than they should be, as well as a basket that had not fully retracted, leaving the backboard at an awkward upward angle.
[/quote]
Geez![/quote]

Sorry the link does not work (couldn’t fix), it is not a article for BWI subscribers only.

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1186790

Doesn’t sound good for Brooks.

Again, unless the BJC breached their contract with the AD, the BJC or Bon Jovi are not to blame. While I don’t know if it ever happened during basketball season, other music acts have booked the BJC for an extended stretch to set up the start of their tour. If the AD doesn’t want this to happen they need to rework their arrangement with the BJC. I don’t think it is the BJC’s responsibility to supply proper hoops at the IM building. Both hoops programs have had enough time to wrangle up the equipment needed to run a practice.

I find it hard to believe it was really that bad. There are a ton of places you can play basketball on campus.

The article says PSU DID have a timeslot at South Gym to practice, but it would have interfered with class time, so they went to the IM Building that afternoon isntead.

I agree. The Athletic Director should be taking 100% of the blame for this. First, for not making sufficient arrangements to ensure that none of this happened, and second, for not coming up with suitable alternatives. Having the team practice on rims that sound like they were supplied by carnies is outrageous.

(CAVEAT: I will say, though, that it would be nice if the BJC had done something to save the AD from themselves…wouldn’t you think that the team would want to be able to use their gym in February, and before signing the Bon Jovi deal, make sure that the AD is aware? I mean, the hoops team is a long-standing, and will remain a long-standing tenant.)

[quote="manatree, post:5, topic:1916"][b]Again, unless the BJC breached their contract with the AD, the BJC or Bon Jovi are not to blame[/b]. While I don't know if it ever happened during basketball season, other music acts have booked the BJC for an extended stretch to set up the start of their tour. If the AD doesn't want this to happen they need to rework their arrangement with the BJC. I don't think it is the BJC's responsibility to supply proper hoops at the IM building. Both hoops programs have had enough time to wrangle up the equipment needed to run a practice.[/quote]

I agree. The Athletic Director should be taking 100% of the blame for this. First, for not making sufficient arrangements to ensure that none of this happened, and second, for not coming up with suitable alternatives. Having the team practice on rims that sound like they were supplied by carnies is outrageous.

(CAVEAT: I will say, though, that it would be nice if the BJC had done something to save the AD from themselves…wouldn’t you think that the team would want to be able to use their gym in February, and before signing the Bon Jovi deal, make sure that the AD is aware? I mean, the hoops team is a long-standing, and will remain a long-standing tenant.)

These 2 points really make me wonder what is going on. Consider this…

1.) The BJC is NOT part of the PSU AD
2.) The BJC has a contract with the PSU AD

…once you think furhter on those points, you realize that each game the team plays is in the contract. As well, each time the team PRACTICES, it should be in the contract. Here are more questions that you guys can take a stab at…

• Can Bon Jovi bump a game?

• Can the BJC bump a game for any reason?

• It’s obvious they can bump a practice. What criteria is used to allow them to bump a pracitce.

• How much is Penn State paying per practice (remember, it’s not FREE!!!) ?

• What is the wording of the contract?

[quote="manatree, post:5, topic:1916"][b]Again, unless the BJC breached their contract with the AD, the BJC or Bon Jovi are not to blame[/b]. While I don't know if it ever happened during basketball season, other music acts have booked the BJC for an extended stretch to set up the start of their tour. If the AD doesn't want this to happen they need to rework their arrangement with the BJC. I don't think it is the BJC's responsibility to supply proper hoops at the IM building. Both hoops programs have had enough time to wrangle up the equipment needed to run a practice.[/quote]

…once you think furhter on those points, you realize that each game the team plays is in the contract. As well, each time the team PRACTICES, it should be in the contract. Here are more questions that you guys can take a stab at…

• It’s obvious they can bump a practice. What criteria is used to allow them to bump a pracitce.

But, their practice wasn’t bumped. They just chose to practice elsewhere at a more conducive time.

At least the players took it in stride, they said they would have loved to practice in the IM Building in high school. That being said I feel sorry for them, this is a D1 program in a big conference. I think they should have priority to practice in the BJC.

But, their practice wasn’t bumped. They just chose to practice elsewhere at a more conducive time.

I don’t think either of these are quite the point. I think the point is that the practice was never scheduled/contracted for in the first place. And for that, the AD crapped the bed. Either they weren’t planning ahead enough to arrange for practice time (and for that reason the BJC contracted with Bon Jovi to use the arena on what were otherwise empty dates), or they were indifferent enough about their players playing in adequate facilities that they allowed themselves to get bumped. There’s no way that Ed Dechellis said, “nah, we don’t need to practice in our own gym during a run for a potential NCAA tourney bid - maybe we can just get next at the pickup games at Sunset Park!”

You say the AD, but maybe it was acually basketball that didn’t have the floor reserved. In my knowledge of the workings of PSU athletics, the department does not get involved in every aspect of each team. The teams are largely responsible for their own scheduling.

It’s my understanding that the usual practice routine is that the men will take the main floor and the women will take the auxiliary gym, then they will switch for other practices. Because Bon Jovi is in town, only 1 team can use the aux, so the other has to use the IM.

…so, you either use the IM building, or schedule a practice for a different time than usual, when your players willl be in class (to me, that is being bumped). :-\

Can you imagine this situation?..

(Curley on the phone with Joe Pa) Hey coach we have an outdoor concert scheduled at Beaver Stadium with Justin Bieber. He’s just such a huge attraction we have to use the stadium to hold all the people. Also, he’s gonna need to use Holuba Hall’s indoor and outdoor practice field all week for rehearsal and living quarters for his entourage. Sorry, it looks like you and the team are gonna have to practice at the intramural fields for now. Hope its not an inconvenience!

I couldn’t even begin the uproar that this would cause. Just puts things in a different perspective :smiley:

[quote=“I Believe, post:15, topic:1916”]Can you imagine this situation?..

(Curley on the phone with Joe Pa) Hey coach we have an outdoor concert scheduled at Beaver Stadium with Justin Bieber. He’s just such a huge attraction we have to use the stadium to hold all the people. Also, he’s gonna need to use Holuba Hall’s indoor and outdoor practice field all week for rehearsal and living quarters for his entourage. Sorry, it looks like you and the team are gonna have to practice at the intramural fields for now. Hope its not an inconvenience!

I couldn’t even begin the uproar that this would cause. Just puts things in a different perspective :D[/quote]
Haluba Hall and the BJC are A LLLOOOOOTTTTT different. And besides, Justin Bieber?

You couldn’t think of anybody better than that? :wink:

Holuba and the BJC main floor are different.

Holuba and South Gym is a perfect analogy

Can you imagine this situation?...

I couldn’t even begin the uproar that this would cause. Just puts things in a different perspective :smiley:

Haluba Hall and the BJC are A LLLOOOOOTTTTT different. And besides, Justin Bieber?

You couldn’t think of anybody better than that? :wink:

I know they are quite different and it wasn’t meant to be a serious comparison at all really lol. As for Bieber, I figured a big younger act who Joe wouldn’t have a clue in the world is was a decent selection. :smiley:

Just a shame that a big 10 basketball program has to go through this. I would just love to see Joe Pa and the boys practicing out by the new law building for a change of scenery ;D

[quote=“I Believe, post:18, topic:1916”]I know they are quite different and it wasn’t meant to be a serious comparison at all really lol. As for Bieber, I figured a big younger act who Joe wouldn’t have a clue in the world is was a decent selection. :smiley:

Just a shame that a big 10 basketball program has to go through this. I would just love to see Joe Pa and the boys practicing out by the new law building for a change of scenery ;D[/quote]

I can not understand why a Penn State fan could be, in any way, against Paterno. ??? >:(

[quote="I Believe, post:18, topic:1916"]I know they are quite different and it wasn't meant to be a serious comparison at all really lol. As for Bieber, I figured a big younger act who Joe wouldn't have a clue in the world is was a decent selection. :D

Just a shame that a big 10 basketball program has to go through this. I would just love to see Joe Pa and the boys practicing out by the new law building for a change of scenery ;D[/quote]

I can not understand why a Penn State fan could be, in any way, against Paterno. ??? >:(

I’m not against Paterno jeez. It was meant as a joke, I guess I won’t say it next time. My point in all of this was to imagine the outrage it would be if the football team had to practice in similar conditions as the basketball team. As for Joe, I wish the man would retire but thats for another point in time lol.

I just hope come March I’m reading in Sports Illustrated an article about how a team who couldn’t practice in its own gym is making noise in the tournament ;D