Burke gets snubbed

Was perusing the Ohio HS message boards and saw that Trey didn’t make the Columbus City League conference teams. I did some digging and found this article that supposedly explains what went down.

Basically the coaches voted Sullinger and Weatherspoon to the first team but couldn’t come to an agreement on Burke after a couple of ties. In the end they settled on another kid and Satch Sullinger (Melle’s HS coach) gave an ultimatum that it’s all or none. In the end it was none.

It’s great that Coach Sullinger went to bat for Trey and judging by his performance this year he definitely deserves the award over his peers but it feels as if Sullinger is being a bully. Not saying he’s wrong but there may have been a better way.

[quote=“byake, post:1, topic:914”]Was perusing the Ohio HS message boards and saw that Trey didn’t make the Columbus City League conference teams. I did some digging and found this article that supposedly explains what went down.

Basically the coaches voted Sullinger and Weatherspoon to the first team but couldn’t come to an agreement on Burke after a couple of ties. In the end they settled on another kid and Satch Sullinger (Melle’s HS coach) gave an ultimatum that it’s all or none. In the end it was none.

It’s great that Coach Sullinger went to bat for Trey and judging by his performance this year he definitely deserves the award over his peers but it feels as if Sullinger is being a bully. Not saying he’s wrong but there may have been a better way.[/quote]

I was home and flipping around channels today and came across last year’s Ohio state championship game involving Northland vs. Princeton. To be honest, I missed the entire game…just saw the aftermath and celebrations right as the buzzer sounded.

Anyway, they were interviewing Satch Sullinger after the game and he just kept repeating how they won that game because he trusted his sophomore guard (Burke). The guy interviewing him asked if he’d ever thought he could win a state title with such young guards.

Sullinger said, “If I knew I’d have a guard that good, yes,” obviously referring to Burke.

I think we’re really going to like watching him in two years and beyond.