Buie in minor trouble

Before this gets too blown out of proportion, I’d thought I’d mention that Taran and Curtis Drake of the football team were cited by the State College police for fighting on Saturday night. Supposedly the two, who are friends, were screwing around at McDonalds. The cops who witnessed their horseplay took a dim view of it (during Arts Fest the authorities don’t mess around) and wrote them up. They’ll probably be fined a few hundred bucks each. What DeChellis and Paterno do is a TBD.

This is the exact reason why I dislike the Borough and its police force. They act like they are preserving peace but it’s all about the money to pay off the debts they’ve wrong up.

Any other State College township and the police officer would have let them off with a stern warning after they explained themselves.

That sucks. But with the problems that the borough has had in years passed during Arts Fest I can understand them being proactive. However, if they pulled the two aside and got the story they could see that it was kids being kids and not a fight.

Lar, what charges were filed. If it is something that brings a record it may be worth it to the kids to fight it so that it doesn’t stay on their permanent records.

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1259"]Before this gets too blown out of proportion, I'd thought I'd mention that Taran and Curtis Drake of the football team were cited by the State College police for fighting on Saturday night. Supposedly the two, who are friends, were screwing around at McDonalds. The cops who witnessed their horseplay took a dim view of it (during Arts Fest the authorities don't mess around) and wrote them up. They'll probably be fined a few hundred bucks each. What DeChellis and Paterno do is a TBD.[/quote]

This is the exact reason why I dislike the Borough and its police force. They act like they are preserving peace but it’s all about the money to pay off the debts they’ve wrong up.

Any other State College township and the police officer would have let them off with a stern warning after they explained themselves.

Not knowing the real story, I’ll take the police officers’ side on this one. They don’t have an easy job, even if this is a very peaceful, easy-going part of the world.

After the riots in the past and the standard drunken idiotic behavior they have to deal with on a nightly basis, they don’t need to be dealing with other kids distracting them by play-fighting in the streets. A harsh lesson for the kids maybe, but I’m willing to bet there’s more to this than we’ll ever actually hear about if they are truly facing a fine. Don’t be so quick to throw the police under the bus, they just may be doing the kids a favor on this one if you catch my drift.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:3, topic:1259”]That sucks. But with the problems that the borough has had in years passed during Arts Fest I can understand them being proactive. However, if they pulled the two aside and got the story they could see that it was kids being kids and not a fight.

Lar, what charges were filed. If it is something that brings a record it may be worth it to the kids to fight it so that it doesn’t stay on their permanent records.[/quote]

He was charged with Disorderly Conduct.

Specifically, the statute reads.

i Offense defined.–A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
(1) engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior;
(2) makes unreasonable noise;
(3) uses obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture; or
(4) creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.[/i]

Buie and Drake were written up under section (1) which is the engages in fighting part. Under that statute you can be written up as a third degree misdemeanor or a summary offense. The grading, i.e. whether it’s a misdemeanor or summary offense, is determine by whether or not the accused intends to harm or persists after being warned to stop. Buie was only issued a summary offense which means that there was no intent to harm and he stopped when warned (although there are some reports that the interchange between the two accused and the cops wasn’t exactly the most harmonious).

Wait, were they fighting other people? Or fighting each other?

I remember in high school kids would play fight all the time in the hall ways and security guards / staff members would write them up… hopefully the officers were just being assholes. Imagine a varsity athlete fighting an athlete from another sport? :o

Royster v. Battle - Rec Hall Saturday Night Bout
Ogbu v. Ott - Heavyweight Championship of Happy Valley

[quote=“noobd, post:6, topic:1259”]Wait, were they fighting other people? Or fighting each other?

I remember in high school kids would play fight all the time in the hall ways and security guards / staff members would write them up… hopefully the officers were just being assholes. Imagine a varsity athlete fighting an athlete from another sport? :o

Ogbu v. Ott - Heavyweight Championship of Happy Valley[/quote]

They were horsing around with each other.

That’s so dumb. So just because two kids were having some fun, not hurting anyone, they get fined? WHAT A JOKE. At least give them warnings… I mean maybe the officers did, but I don’t know that…

[quote=“noobd, post:6, topic:1259”]Wait, were they fighting other people? Or fighting each other?

Ollie v Ottzilla - that could seriously sell out the joint.

How about Cornley against the entire football team. I’d take Cornley.

Again… i know nothing of this story outside of what’s in this thread… but consider what you’re saying. Despite the reputation many students give the police around here, they are actually quite reasonable most of the time. I have much less problem believing the kids were either: a)doing more than horsing around, or b) less than respectful when approached by the police than I do believing they are getting a fine for simply horsing around.

[quote="noobd, post:6, topic:1259"]Wait, were they fighting other people? Or fighting each other?

Ollie v Ottzilla - that could seriously sell out the joint.

How about Cornley against the entire football team. I’d take Cornley.

Wasn’t there a brawl a few years back between members of the football team and the wrestling team?

In any other town, you’d be right. You have to remember that we’re talking about the State College Police: a model of incompetence.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:1259"]Again.. i know nothing of this story outside of what's in this thread.. but consider what you're saying. Despite the reputation many students give the police around here, they are actually quite reasonable most of the time. I have much less problem believing the kids were either: a)doing more than horsing around, or b) less than respectful when approached by the police than I do believing they are getting a fine for simply horsing around.[/quote]

In any other town, you’d be right. You have to remember that we’re talking about the State College Police: a model of incompetence.

I’ll reiterate myself here… despite the reputation by many students, nationbuilder, the state college police department is actually quite reasonable most of the time. I’ve dealt with much worse, and they do not have a job that I envy when most of the calls they get deal with drunk children. Despite this, they are generally very professional and patient - funny enough the only people who complain about them are the children I speak of, who can never seem to understand why they do the things they do… like, police the town.

lol

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:9, topic:1259”]Ollie v Ottzilla - that could seriously sell out the joint.

How about Cornley against the entire football team. I’d take Cornley.[/quote]

Cornley vs MRob… MSG. 20 bus loads of students. :wink:

I think the opinion on any first hand witness (not the participates) would be most valid.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:1259"]Again.. i know nothing of this story outside of what's in this thread.. but consider what you're saying. Despite the reputation many students give the police around here, they are actually quite reasonable most of the time. I have much less problem believing the kids were either: a)doing more than horsing around, or b) less than respectful when approached by the police than I do believing they are getting a fine for simply horsing around.[/quote]

I’ll reiterate myself here… despite the reputation by many students, nationbuilder, the state college police department is actually quite reasonable most of the time. I’ve dealt with much worse, and they do not have a job that I envy when most of the calls they get deal with drunk children. Despite this, they are generally very professional and patient - funny enough the only people who complain about them are the children I speak of, who can never seem to understand why they do the things they do… like, police the town.

lol

I couldn’t have said it any better, Craftsy.

lol

I couldn’t have said it any better, Craftsy.

Come talk to me when your relaxed, laid back, run-of-the-mill, unassuming football tailgate gets raided, carded, and verbally assaulted by those pigs without an ounce of reasonable suspicion despite all participants being WELL over the age of 25. I know mine wasn’t the only tailgate this happened to at the Iowa game.

These clowns give police everywhere a bad name. I have family and friends who serve in the line of duty, so I’m no cop hater.

They give the Washington Metro Area Transportation Authority a run for the money as the most inept organization in the country.

It’s beyond me how this can polarize a group the way it has.

This is a kid being a kid. So they wrestle around and it gets carried away. So what. They are kids, they are full of energy, they do crazy things in the name of ‘fun’ that older folks don’t understand.

…so they get a ticket. Should they have? I don’t know. But I don’t see why it’s an issue. If they were breaking the law, but not doing any harm, it shouldn’t be an issue at all. Why does there have to be blame? Why crucify the cops or the kids? Pay the ticket and move on. I guess being a recognizable figure, it becomes a big deal.

I’m thankful that I spent a few years in the Marines when I got out of high school. We did some really, really crazy and unneccesary acts, but it was just shrugged off because of who we were.

Agree completely.

[quote="Skeeza, post:18, topic:1259"]...so they get a ticket. Should they have? I don't know. But I don't see why it's an issue. If they were breaking the law, but not doing any harm, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Why does there have to be blame? Why crucify the cops or the kids? Pay the ticket and move on. I guess being a recognizable figure, it becomes a big deal.[/quote]

Agree completely.

Not sure I agree, and my father was a cop. They’ve become meter maids for states whose budgets have run amuck. Don’t get me started, I’ve gotten tickets(more importantly, my kids have) and my insurance rates have climbed. FedEx and UPS pay more than $15 million in parking tickets each in NYC alone. Is that really serving citizens, or is it ripping them off, using them as a piggy bank to fill state and city coffers? Are those services hurting anyone by delivering packages in a timely manner to people who want them sent by people who want them delivered? Funny the Post Office doesn’t get tickets on their deliveries. They have reserved spaces. And they’re running an $8 billion deficit. Hmmm…

George Reisman, in his classic, “Capitalism”, asks a very interesting question. He states that governments are formed to protect its citizens from fellow citizens who commit crime(by using police) and from foreign attack(army, navy, etc.). But the question is, "who are you more afraid of, criminals, muggers, mafia, etc. or the government, like the police, IRS, etc? An overwhelming majority say their government.