Buford Video

William Buford Taunts Penn State Students

Classy O$U, really classy.

Umm… the entire PSU student section taunted him after he fouled out, so he made a few inappropriate gestures. So? Its pretty unlucky for Buford that this was caught on tape, but you’re acting like the student section has never taunted anyone else before. As someone kindly points out on the YT video comments, PSU fans threw urine at the OSU fans at a PSU football game.

This is like person X picking on person Y day after day at school and having a grand ole’ time doing it. Then finally, person Y retaliates a little bit and person X is highly offended. Makes no sense.

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:885”]Umm… the entire PSU student section taunted him after he fouled out, so he made a few inappropriate gestures. So? Its pretty unlucky for Buford that this was caught on tape, but you’re acting like the student section has never taunted anyone else before. As someone kindly points out on the YT video comments, PSU fans threw urine at the OSU fans at a PSU football game.

This is like person X picking on person Y day after day at school and having a grand ole’ time doing it. Then finally, person Y retaliates a little bit and person X is highly offended. Makes no sense.[/quote]

Almost all student sections do the “taunt” you are referring to and I’ve never seen that reaction from a player. Classless IMO.

Can this urban legend please die?

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:885"]As someone kindly points out on the YT video comments, PSU fans threw urine at the OSU fans at a PSU football game.[/quote]

I did not hear about that one, but I saw the Youtube where the frat kids where throwing beer cans at the two OSU fans.

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:885"]As someone kindly points out on the YT video comments, PSU fans threw urine at the OSU fans at a PSU football game.[/quote]

Exactly. The treatment of the OSU band was extremely hostile and totally unacceptable that day, but the “urine bombs” are a complete urban legend.

Umm... the entire PSU student section taunted him after he fouled out, so he made a few inappropriate gestures. So? Its pretty unlucky for Buford that this was caught on tape, but you're acting like the student section has never taunted anyone else before. As someone kindly points out on the YT video comments, PSU fans threw urine at the OSU fans at a PSU football game.

This is like person X picking on person Y day after day at school and having a grand ole’ time doing it. Then finally, person Y retaliates a little bit and person X is highly offended. Makes no sense.

Almost all student sections do the “taunt” you are referring to and I’ve never seen that reaction from a player. Classless IMO.

Once again, an overreaction to a minimal response from a player for overreacting to the unneccesary taunts from the crowd.

Reminds me of another overreaction a few months back…

3) The officiating was god awful. It appears this crew must do NBA games as well and seems to have an issue remembering the different rules for travelling in the NCAA's and the pros. I NEVER recall seeing so many blatant travelling violations by one team go uncalled. This crew should be fined.

If I can figure out who to write to, I’m going to file a complaint with the Big Ten today about that officiating crew, particularly the ref who was unprofessional enough to respond to me in such a snarky way by blowing me a kiss and smirking, as if he knew exactly the way they were missing calls against Wisconsin. There’s no reason for a ref to ever respond to a heckler from the crowd, particularly one like me who wasn’t being offensive, swearing, or acting inappropriately. I can’t imagine a ref acting more unprofessionally, other than Hightower, of course.

It only changed a bit later in the game when (over the pindrop quiet crowd) I heard a few good civilians really giving this clown crew hell.

You’re welcome. I offered them my glasses because I thought maybe they just had some eye problems being old and bumbling, but they didn’t take me up on the offer. :slight_smile:

Having watched the it live (and watched it again on video, just in case I missed something), it can be marginally interpreted what exactly Buford was doing to “react” to the crowds jeers. If, in fact, he was reactong to the jeers of the crowd, he was doing so while seated on the bench, surrounded by his teammates and coaches, not doing so while on the court, in front of the student section.

Some of you act as if he pulled a LeGarrette Blount.

Just like the previous “gentleman” cried foul when he was reacted to in what he felt was an inappropriate manner, some of you are behaving the same. There should have been no taunting or jeering from the student section. However, since there was, it is hypocritical to cast crticism down on Buford for reacting on his own bench to the jeers of people in the stands without also casting criticism down on the fans themselves.

But, as seems typical, some people choose to hold others to a higher standard than themselves, or at least others of their same ilk.

The Penn State fans were wrong for taunting Buford and Buford was wrong to react the way he did, if that is what his motions were meant to do. However, stop making out like he was overtly playing to the crowd and blowing a gasket for fouling out on what appeared to be a boneheaded foul. ::slight_smile:

I did not hear about that one, but I saw the Youtube where the frat kids where throwing beer cans at the two OSU fans.

Ah yes, the beer can thrower. He is a Pitt student.

The kid throwing the beer cans was identified and he was actually a Pitt student who was visiting for the weekend.

The kid throwing the beer cans was identified and he was actually a Pitt student who was visiting for the weekend.

there was more than one person throwing beer and 99.9% of the people cheering them on were Penn State students

video link

I’m just sharing the video…you can make of it what you want, I just put it on the internet to be digested. In a week no one will remember til the next time we play.

video is video. I don’t think it lied. “Lone” beer thrower…give me an apologist break!

We have drunken hooligan students just like other schools. Probably the same ones that can’t make it to the games until the 3rd period!

there was more than one person throwing beer and 99.9% of the people cheering them on were Penn State students

video link

You’re right. I didn’t remember there being so many participating but the video doesn’t lie.

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:885”]video is video. I don’t think it lied. “Lone” beer thrower…give me an apologist break!

We have drunken hooligan students just like other schools. Probably the same ones that can’t make it to the games until the 3rd period! [/quote]

I love hockey, but football has quarters :wink:

Classless on Buford’s part, but it seems like you guys are crying over it… at first I was like “woah!! did i just see that?” then I started to laugh.

I thought it was funny. I don’t know what is more offensive: Buford’s scoreboard taunt or the fact that we are 0 for the Big 10 at home. If I were in the student section, I’d pick my spots to taunt the opposition. After another big 10 opponent comes in handles you in your building for 7th straight time is not one of them. Guess I’m old school.

agreed - the fans on here seem like poor losers. picking on the OSU kids for giving our student section a piece of their mind. come on. we lose every game this year and taunt opposing players, where’s the class in that.

[quote="danlauver, post:17, topic:885"]I thought it was funny. I don't know what is more offensive: Buford's scoreboard taunt or the fact that we are 0 for the Big 10 at home. If I were in the student section, I'd pick my spots to taunt the opposition. After another big 10 opponent comes in handles you in your building for 7th straight time is not one of them. Guess I'm old school.[/quote]

agreed - the fans on here seem like poor losers. picking on the OSU kids for giving our student section a piece of their mind. come on. we lose every game this year and taunt opposing players, where’s the class in that.

I’m not sure what the big deal is…lets get this straight…students just said “left,right,left,right,sit down” we’re not talking about swearing, calling his mother a less than respectable woman, or anything like that. we’re talking about saying which foot he is putting down. I guess I see it as the team doesn’t let up until the game is over…why can’t the students?

[quote="danlauver, post:17, topic:885"]I thought it was funny. I don't know what is more offensive: Buford's scoreboard taunt or the fact that we are 0 for the Big 10 at home. If I were in the student section, I'd pick my spots to taunt the opposition. After another big 10 opponent comes in handles you in your building for 7th straight time is not one of them. Guess I'm old school.[/quote]

I’m not sure what the big deal is…lets get this straight…students just said “left,right,left,right,sit down” we’re not talking about swearing, calling his mother a less than respectable woman, or anything like that. we’re talking about saying which foot he is putting down. I guess I see it as the team doesn’t let up until the game is over…why can’t the students?

Good point. You can watch any hoops game on any given night or day and the same thing happens when a kid on the visiting team fouls out. I have seen many players who have fouled out ignore it or even have a little fun with it. What Buford did was childish and classless IMO.