PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Budget for New Coach

Does anyone think there is a chance of PSU opening up the check book here? Would they fork over $1.5-2 million per year for the right guy? At first, I thought no way as do most people on this board. But might something might be different this time around? Will Curley proved all the critics wrong about his neglect for PSU hoops? Is this the time we FINALLY step up to the plate?

I think the bad press via ESPN will force PSU to raise the anti. 1M - 1.25M would be my guess.

Let’s Hope. Although the additional monies may have to come from outside sources similar to Sanderson deal. I can imagine that the administration is loathe to give up the 1mil+ profit it makes per year on men’s basketball.

I know people keep saying stuff like “too bad Pegula isn’t a basketball fan” but there are so many wealthy PSU alumi. There has to be someone that likes basketball enough to donate a nice chunk. Obviously nobody as rich as Pegula but asking Pegula to pay for a basketball coaches entire salary for an initial contract would be like asking me or you to donate 50 bucks to the Red Cross. Ok, I’m exaggerating but I find it hard to imagine that having a coach with a decent salary could be that hard to pull off without hurting the budget.

Is it just an additional $500K to $1M for the coaches salary??? Won’t a coach that’s worth anything demand higher salaries for the assistants? And more dollars for operations and recruiting? And how will this effect what they spend on the womens coaches?

I hope not.

I think it’s insane what these coaches are being paid. I hope that Penn State is true to their word and holds the line.

Whatever it is it won’t be higher than Joe’s salary.

True, but an increase of $300,000 or more will be enough to get a good, young assistant or a experienced mid-major coach.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:7, topic:2416"]Whatever it is it won't be higher than Joe's salary.[/quote]

True, but an increase of $300,000 or more will be enough to get a good, young assistant or a experienced mid-major coach.

I agree. Curley is going to have to go right up against the salary cap, or convince Joe to take more money.

Jumping ships :wink: to the Navy job. Does anybody else wonder WHY Navy would pay approx. 1/2 M a year for a basketball coach. Are not most employees at Annapolis presently in the military.
Where does the money for the coach come from???

Television (specifically the conference tourney which is covered by CBS College Sports and ESPN, along with some regular season games on CBS and CBS College Sports), ticket revenue, advertising, share from the NCAA, etc.

Why do you think Curley gives a damn about ESPN?? They have been negative about PSU hoops for a very long time, and mostly their criticism has been justified.

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:2416”]Jumping ships :wink: to the Navy job. Does anybody else wonder WHY Navy would pay approx. 1/2 M a year for a basketball coach. Are not most employees at Annapolis presently in the military.
Where does the money for the coach come from???[/quote]

Probably the same place PSU gets its AD cash – alumni, tv, ticket sales, etc.

[quote="hoops19, post:1, topic:2416"]Does anyone think there is a chance of PSU opening up the check book here? Would they fork over $1.5-2 million per year for the right guy? At first, I thought no way as do most people on this board. But might something might be different this time around? Will Curley proved all the critics wrong about his neglect for PSU hoops? Is this the time we FINALLY step up to the plate?[/quote]

I hope not.

I think it’s insane what these coaches are being paid. I hope that Penn State is true to their word and holds the line.

Than prepare to be satisfied with less than average results. Even if a good younger coach comes in and turns things around with this kind of attitude he will be gone just as quickly as possible and PSU will be back in the same boat. Coaches salaries aren’t likely to come down anytime soon.

As an example I am acquainted with a young up and coming D-3 coach who recently left his school (he was making $105,000/year. An unheard amount of money in D-3). He accepted an assistants position at a pretty successful D-1 Mid-Major and is now making $145,000/year. That’s at a Mid-Major I won’t name either schools or coach so don’t ask.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2416"]I think the bad press via ESPN will force PSU to raise the anti. 1M - 1.25M would be my guess.[/quote] Why do you think Curley gives a damn about ESPN?? They have been negative about PSU hoops for a very long time, and mostly their criticism has been justified.
Curley may not......................BUT I never(ever) saw Tim as a power guy for major decisions....................The guy that pulls the stings has a more "political" job by nature. :)

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:2416”]Jumping ships :wink: to the Navy job. Does anybody else wonder WHY Navy would pay approx. 1/2 M a year for a basketball coach. Are not most employees at Annapolis presently in the military.
Where does the money for the coach come from???[/quote]

Not a penny of taxpayer money, if that was your concern.

I’m not so certain that most professors at Navy are in the military currently.

Than prepare to be satisfied with less than average results. Even if a good younger coach comes in and turns things around with this kind of attitude he will be gone just as quickly as possible and PSU will be back in the same boat. Coaches salaries aren’t likely to come down anytime soon.

As an example I am acquainted with a young up and coming D-3 coach who recently left his school (he was making $105,000/year. An unheard amount of money in D-3). He accepted an assistants position at a pretty successful D-1 Mid-Major and is now making $145,000/year. That’s at a Mid-Major I won’t name either schools or coach so don’t ask.
[/quote]

Tobin???

[quote=“psubball, post:18, topic:2416”]Than prepare to be satisfied with less than average results. Even if a good younger coach comes in and turns things around with this kind of attitude he will be gone just as quickly as possible and PSU will be back in the same boat. Coaches salaries aren’t likely to come down anytime soon.

As an example I am acquainted with a young up and coming D-3 coach who recently left his school (he was making $105,000/year. An unheard amount of money in D-3). He accepted an assistants position at a pretty successful D-1 Mid-Major and is now making $145,000/year. That’s at a Mid-Major I won’t name either schools or coach so don’t ask.[/quote]

Tobin???
[/quote]

Scratch that last response, I’m going with Mike!!! :wink: