PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

BTN commercials

The incessant ambulance chaser commercials on the Big Ten Network make it almost unwatchable. Either these lawyers are a lot richer than I assume, or they’re paying about $3 per spot.

Jack Links Beef Jerky must have cut down on their advertising budget…

Not sure what commercial you are talking about but since it’s for a law firm I would say it’s safe to assume that its a local ad. Depending on the market that you are in, you might be able to get a spot for as little as $25.

sounds like a lovely gift…how soon before we see a marriage proposal?

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:1603"]The incessant ambulance chaser commercials on the Big Ten Network make it almost unwatchable. Either these lawyers are a lot richer than I assume, or they're paying about $3 per spot.[/quote]

Not sure what commercial you are talking about but since it’s for a law firm I would say it’s safe to assume that its a local ad. Depending on the market that you are in, you might be able to get a spot for as little as $25.

Seriously, that little?

I didn’t realize it was that little either. We might as well get a fund going and pony up the dough to broadcast an ad for this forum ;D

The Cathy Quilico Volleyball commercial is good. :slight_smile:

I’m sure that would be a high-quality production

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:1603"]The incessant ambulance chaser commercials on the Big Ten Network make it almost unwatchable. Either these lawyers are a lot richer than I assume, or they're paying about $3 per spot.[/quote]

Seriously, that little?

In a very small market, for the airtime alone, yes.

That assumes the commercial is already produced but you could also get that done bare boned for a few hundred bucks.

Here’s an article that lays out the costs to air a 30 sec commercial in a medium sized market at $5 per 1,000 viewers. Given that the BTN is on some 300 affiliates and the major cable networks subdivide into hundreds of local systems, you can have some pretty poorly watched shows in some pretty small markets. How many Buckeye Cable System subscribers in Erie County Ohio (population 80,000, households 22,000) do you think were tuned into the Penn State/Duquesne basketball game? Even if Buckeye cable reaches every household in Erie County and the game got a 10% market share, we’re only talking 2000 viewers (and that’s some outrageously high assumptions). I’m betting you could have gotten a local commercial for a pretty cheap price.

$25 per spot sounds possible, but of course you have to sign a decent sized commitment at those kinds of rates usually. Probably a few hundred spots per contract, making it a several thousand dollar deal more than likely. But yeah, you can get a lot of bang for your buck doing TV ads nowadays in the right market.

Particularly for the overnight spots.

I didn't realize it was that little either. We might as well get a fund going and pony up the dough to broadcast an ad for this forum ;D
I'm sure that would be a high-quality production

College student talent can come pretty cheap. :wink:

Then I will not be surprised if I see a commercial searching for a new coach run during a Penn State game anymore… In fact, maybe somebody wants to inform the posters over on FOS of this proposition.

Sure you could maybe run one pretty cheaply in Erie County Ohio on Buckeye Cable but not so cheaply in State College on Comcast where your target market actually lives and watches.