Brothers on and off the court article

Albany Times Union article

Interesting note in this article that I wasn’t aware of. Battle considered transferring to Siena his freshman year.

"Later, Battle confesses he broke down to his mother, and spoke with former Bishop Maginn coach Rich Hurley, after an early-season conference loss. He says he had an ever-so-slight moment where he contemplated quitting the team.

“I love the game too much for that to ever happen,” Battle says. “A losing season wasn’t going to bring me down.”

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=903213#ixzz0gCtTZtGY
"

This happened this season?

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:871”]"Later, Battle confesses he broke down to his mother, and spoke with former Bishop Maginn coach Rich Hurley, after an early-season conference loss. He says he had an ever-so-slight moment where he contemplated quitting the team.

“I love the game too much for that to ever happen,” Battle says. “A losing season wasn’t going to bring me down.”

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=903213#ixzz0gCtTZtGY
"

This happened this season?[/quote]

That is how I took it. I could see 7 or 8 games in a player might have weak moment like this.

That’s one report I’m glad the internet didn’t get.

[quote=“ronb89, post:1, topic:871”]Albany Times Union article

Interesting note in this article that I wasn’t aware of. Battle considered transferring to Siena his freshman year.[/quote]
Thanks for posting that article. Enjoyed!

This article is another reason why I am confident we will have a great season next year. Battle and Buie do not like to lose. Talor will make sure he does what he needs to do in the offseason. And the team will follow his lead. We are much better than our record indicates this year. And we will be even better next year.

Even if we only get 12 more points a game from Marshall and Taran how many more wins would we have.

[quote="mjg, post:6, topic:871"]This article is another reason why I am confident we will have a great season next year. Battle and Buie do not like to lose. Talor will make sure he does what he needs to do in the offseason. And the team will follow his lead. We are much better than our record indicates this year. And we will be even better next year.[/quote] Even if we only get 12 more points a game from Marshall and Taran how many more wins would we have.

Well considering we have lost something like 10 games by less than 10 points, if we get a net 12 more points per game from these two that would mean we’d be, what 21-4. I’d take that. Realistically, you can’t make the leap I have, but you did ask.

[quote="mjg, post:6, topic:871"]This article is another reason why I am confident we will have a great season next year. Battle and Buie do not like to lose. Talor will make sure he does what he needs to do in the offseason. And the team will follow his lead. We are much better than our record indicates this year. And we will be even better next year.[/quote] Even if we only get 12 more points a game from Marshall and Taran how many more wins would we have.

Well considering we have lost something like 10 games by less than 10 points, if we get a net 12 more points per game from these two that would mean we’d be, what 21-4. I’d take that. Realistically, you can’t make the leap I have, but you did ask.

Talor averaged 10 as a frosh and I figured a conservative figure for Taran was 8 and the I figured 4 for Marshall. And that isn’t assuming any of the other players are going to up their average next year. You would have to think we will see DJ & Babb up their scoring. Talor I would think is going to stay the same but you never know with more options that may free him up. And Ott, Jones and Brooks should all contribute a little more but let’s not count on it.

Don’t forget that someone is losing shot attempts, and therefore points, if Buie and Marshall chip in 12. Only so many shots to go around.

Maybe not shot attempts, if we as a team take a lot more shots per game, but minutes on the floor for sure. If Buie and Marshall both play, then others must sit.

Every lower tier team like Michigan, Nw, Il, are asking themselves similar questions-if just a few players stepped up…

Every lower tier team like Michigan, Nw, Il, are asking themselves similar questions-if just a few players stepped up…

The difference is that every other team will have to also figure out how to replace their losses. For us (barring injury), it’s a matter of figuring out how the new pieces will fit into the equation.

Talor averaged 10 as a frosh and I figured a conservative figure for Taran was 8 and the I figured 4 for Marshall. And that isn’t assuming any of the other players are going to up their average next year. You would have to think we will see DJ & Babb up their scoring. Talor I would think is going to stay the same but you never know with more options that may free him up. And Ott, Jones and Brooks should all contribute a little more but let’s not count on it.

Big difference is Battle played almost every minute of every game but the first of the year as a frosh. Ain’t gonna be the case for either Buie or Marshall. I think it is optimistic to expect 8 points per game combined from those two next year.

Don’t know anything about his game, but I’d be shocked to see Marshall contribute any meaningful minutes next season. I assume he’ll play either the 2 or the 3 and I imagine Babb, Frazier, Buie, Edwards, Woodyard, and Brooks/Jackson (I’m assuming Battle is playing the 1) would all see minutes ahead of him. I think Buie averaging somewhere between 6-8 pts per game next season would be a good season for him.